Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Huge shakeup at CR; Hicks promoted along with 3 others

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The question of the day becomes - Who will be the new 1st baseman in Cedar Rapids on a regular basis?
    *Kepler (that would waist his OF growth)
    *Goodrum (He needs reps at SS / 3B / & 2B)
    *Walker (College 2nd Team All American at 1B - But would waist his athleticism)
    I hope they don't go 1st Base by committee
    Do I see a Rory Rhodes sighting?

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Beresford is not on the 40 man and will be due to be added next season. If he goes up to the bigs now, he has to stay or else they waste an option sending him back down. He's a September callup.

Blog Entries
    [Walker, in particular, has some remedial things to work on]
    Just comparing Stats with some of the best in game: I always thought Walker was a mixture of both players. Power and Athletic
    Adam Brett Walker II
    K%
    22.1%
    ISO .258
    BABIP .316
    OBP .332
    SLG% .540
    BA .282
    wOBA .384
    wRC+ 136

Ryan Braun
    K%
    ISO .203
    BABIP .363
    OBP .380
    SLG% .507
    BA .304
    wOBA .375
    wRC+ 139

Josh Hamilton (2012)
    K%
    ISO ..292
    BABIP .320
    OBP .354
    SLG% .577
    BA .285
    wOBA .387
    wRC+ 140

I'm just saying (K Rate way down) and he compares well with some of the best in the game at the stage he's at RIGHT now. Production is Production

Quote Originally Posted by TNTwinsFan View Post
    What remedial things?
    learning to control the strike zone, shortening his swing and cutting down his k rate.

Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    [Walker, in particular, has some remedial things to work on]
    Just comparing Stats with some of the best in game: I always thought Walker was a mixture of both players. Power and Athletic
    Adam Brett Walker II
    K%
    22.1%
    ISO .258
    BABIP .316
    OBP .332
    SLG% .540
    BA .282
    wOBA .384
    wRC+ 136

Ryan Braun
    K%
    ISO .203
    BABIP .363
    OBP .380
    SLG% .507
    BA .304
    wOBA .375
    wRC+ 139

Josh Hamilton (2012)
    K%
    ISO ..292
    BABIP .320
    OBP .354
    SLG% .577
    BA .285
    wOBA .387
    wRC+ 140

I'm just saying (K Rate way down) and he compares well with some of the best in the game at the stage he's at RIGHT now. Production is Production
    mmkay, let's just say the hyperbole police have issued a warrant for your arrest.

walker compares much more closely to cory vaughn than either of those two. if all things turn out well, we get cory's dad. if they don't, we're stuck with cory.
    Last edited by Vervehound; 07-16-2013 at 06:34 PM.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "Shakeup"? And "huge"? Gee... Read the title and I was thinking that a bunch of players were cut or something. Instead some got well-deserved promotions.

This is the SOP in the minors, not a "shakeup"
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vervehound View Post
    mmkay, let's just say the hyperbole police have issued a warrant for your arrest.

walker compares much more closely to cory vaughn than either of those two. if all things turn out well, we get cory's dad. if they don't, we're stuck with cory.
    And comparing Walker to a steroids cheater and a druggie does not do him any favors...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 101 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The four guys getting promotions to Ft Myers certainly have earned it. Best of luck to them. I've certainly enjoyed watching them play ball in Cedar Rapids.

Are there other guys who arguably could move up, too? Sure. But there needs to be a spot for them to move up in to and the Twins have to be able to fill every affiliate's roster. That's a bit more complicated than some might think. As the guys who have started out in Elizabethton develop and warrant a promotion, I would expect a few more current Kernels to get moved up, too.

You'd love to watch some of these guys play all summer long, but that's just the nature of minor league baseball. If you've got a good team, guys get promoted. If you've got a lousy team, you're probably stuck with those guys on your roster most of the season.

I do think Gallant and Shibuya may be able to help this pitching staff.

I am a little surprised Rhodes wasn't among the players coming to CR to play 1B. It could be that Kepler's elbow is still keeping him from cutting loose with his throws and he'll just play 1B full time until he's fully healthy.

Rodriguez's return means CR is back to having 3 catchers. Not sure what that accomplishes.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can't get over all the love expressed for Beresford. He is powerless and has good but not game-changing speed. He is having a good season, but his OPS is still only .735. I would think his ceiling is a backup middle infielder, and I don't think he'll reach that. Escobar has similar skills, but has demonstrated some pop with the bat and has over a year's worth of big league experience.

Blog Entries
    I"m reaching in my comparisons to Braun and Hamilton - but my point is statistically he is probably where the Twins want him to be. Kind of hard to think they expect much more. I think a 22% strike out rate for a power hitter is probably pretty good and better than most MLB Power Stars. Everybody needs command of the strike zone. What makes you say Walkers discipline is so bad to warrant staying in CR. Hicks led the team in K's (Just saying) . I need more remedial reasoning.......................

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 101 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just thought I would point out that, with the promotion of Gruver, my 2013 record remains perfect... I've purchased three jerseys during the special jersey night auctions this season. Manuel Soliman, Candido Pimentel and, now, Steve Gruver, have all been promoted within a month or so of my adding their autographed Kernels jerseys to my collection.

I think a few of the current Kernels might want to think about just giving me their jerseys. Obviously, it would be a smart career move on their part.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully this will have some corresponding moves that go all the way up to AAA?
    Will a player like Pinto finally get moved up to AAA?
    Would the team consider moving Buxton to play CF at AA?

If not that OF in FM will be fast and crowded.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Tough to think that Buxton would advance so quickly to AA. He's going to be great, but Ft. Myers is his level for the rest of the season.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 463 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I agree they need to find room for Walker, but it likely was due to a space crunch. There's still only three OF spots in Ft. Myers and they likely had to chose between Walker and Williams and Williams has already spent 1 1/2 years in the Midwest league. Williams is justly deserved of a promotion aside from just the service time and the guy knows how to take a walk, something the Twins clearly love.
    I understand taking Williams over Walker, but not Hicks. It must be defense and position. Looking at the numbers, especially lately, Walker is the better player than Hicks. But Hicks plays first and that's Vargas' position, so...
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Walker must be getting his promotion soon. I think they must be looking at Fort Myers and seeing who deserves promotion to AA. I am happy for the players promoted though. Walker will be next.

Polanco could sit in low-A with an obvious start at Fort Myers next year. yes, I wouldn't mess around and I would promote him with Walker in the next few weeks. Some E-Town players need to show up and be worthy of A-ball first, though.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts
    The question of the day becomes - Who will be the new 1st baseman in Cedar Rapids on a regular basis?
    *Kepler (that would waist his OF growth)
    *Goodrum (He needs reps at SS / 3B / & 2B)
    *Walker (College 2nd Team All American at 1B - But would waist his athleticism)
    I hope they don't go 1st Base by committee
    Do I see a Rory Rhodes sighting?
    I actually think we see Bryan Haar promoted instead of Rhodes. Rory hasn't hit particularly well since the GCL 3 seasons ago.

Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I understand taking Williams over Walker, but not Hicks. It must be defense and position. Looking at the numbers, especially lately, Walker is the better player than Hicks. But Hicks plays first and that's Vargas' position, so...
    Hicks is also already 23 so if he is even a possibility in the Twins braintrust he needed to move up and then move again early in 2014 to AA and look to get a big league shot at spring training in 2015 as a 25 year old. Now that is probably unlikely to all happen but it is the only way I can see him making the Twins as anything other than a bench bat for a season or two.

Blog Entries
    Don't count Hicks short. All he has done is lead "All of minor league baseball in RBIs"!!! Production is production no matter what round you were drafted. He is a .300 hitter and has had success at every level he has played. Judge his results until they don't work for you. Right now he is a steal and deserves every opportunity to be "a" guy in the prospect race.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    Don't count Hicks short. All he has done is lead "All of minor league baseball in RBIs"!!! Production is production no matter what round you were drafted. He is a .300 hitter and has had success at every level he has played. Judge his results until they don't work for you. Right now he is a steal and deserves every opportunity to be "a" guy in the prospect race.
    Production isn't just production. You can't compare MLB production vs single A production and call it equal for example. There is quite a difference. You'd be better off comparing him to his peers or to MLB players stats from the same level.There are all kinds of valid reasons to make relative comparisons.

You have to believe Carroll will be traded to a contender before the deadline. There are a lot of pieces to fit together and movement expected on the ML roster very soon.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaTwins View Post
    I am also wondering about the absence of Walker or Polanco in these moves. Can someone clarify for us about these two not earning their callup? (yet)
    Gruver, Jones, Hicks and Williams were all getting a bit old for their level. Gruver is already getting old for A+. The difference is mostly about age and the Twins wanting to get their older prospects moving faster. This will not hurt Polanco or Walker's development.

Also I'm not sure who would be playing for Cedar Rapids if the Twins were to promote half of their roster.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast