Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Huge shakeup at CR; Hicks promoted along with 3 others

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smcginnity View Post
    Also, I really think Beresford needs to be called up to the Bigs and they should just release/trade Carroll. We are in rebuild mode...no reason to keep the crap we have on this roster anymore.
    First, the Twins need a backup infielder, who better to fill that roll than a veteran. Why would you release Carroll so that Beresford can sit on the bench in the majors? And to be realistic his ceiling is probably around a Jamey Carroll type player; good defense, hits enough to stick around, maybe even start, but with no power. He's not going to take a job away from any starters at this point.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    Don't count Hicks short. All he has done is lead "All of minor league baseball in RBIs"!!! Production is production no matter what round you were drafted. He is a .300 hitter and has had success at every level he has played. Judge his results until they don't work for you. Right now he is a steal and deserves every opportunity to be "a" guy in the prospect race.
    Nothing against Hicks, but I expected Walker to be promoted, considering that he seems to hit a homer and a double in every game.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also, had a conversation with a buddy who spent a long weeked in CR right after Buxton was promoted. He said "the [CR] right fielder [Walker] was clearly the best guy on the field of every game I saw." He said it was like watching Harmon. You got the feeling he could hit a homer in every trip to the plate.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Nothing against Hicks, but I expected Walker to be promoted, considering that he seems to hit a homer and a double in every game.
    He didn't in June! You can't promote someone everytime they have a hot streak.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    .297/.355/.494 .850 OPS 44 extra-base hits (13 HR), 85 Ks, 34 BBs in 89 games
    .282/.332/.540 .872 OPS 43 extra-base hits (18 HR), 79 Ks, 23 BBs in 85 games

Pretty hard, to me, to make a case that one of those guys is so markedly better than the other one that he clearly is more deserving of a promotion than the other. As has been said elsewhere, other factors such as position and age play a factor and both players have had excellent seasons.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't get Walker staying down. Buxton needed to move up. JD absolutely needed to move up. I think Walker should be up. But, I think Kvasnicka could move up to New Britain too... it is about space and opportunity and stuff too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123