Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Reviewing Rotation Reinforcements in Rochester

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Reviewing Rotation Reinforcements in Rochester

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Thanks for the analysis. Seems like the willingness to give Diamond another start has more to do with the lack of options than anything else. Sure seems like it has to be Albers but in a rebuilding year that 40 man spot may be more valuable than a win or two.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nick - he is not in AAA, but any analysis on Swarzak getting another chance in the rotation?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 106 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Nick - he is not in AAA, but any analysis on Swarzak getting another chance in the rotation?
    Please, no more Swarzak or Duensing experiments. They have become fair MLB players out of the pen, don't mess with that progress.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think the Twins are hoping for Pelfrey to continue to improve so he can be traded soon and open a roster spot for Albers or someone else. I think that's why he started first after the all star break to give him more starts before the deadline. Obviously that opens a second spot in the rotation.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    Please, no more Swarzak or Duensing experiments. They have become fair MLB players out of the pen, don't mess with that progress.
    It's fun to pull for these guys and I was kind of excited for Swarzak when he came up.

However, in 114 PA this year against LH batters their slash line is .321/.345/.557 (.902). Not good. The way they are using him now may be his best opportunity to stay in MLB.

Liked 1,032 Times in 469 Posts
    What a dismal set of options.

Quote Originally Posted by tjsyam921 View Post
    I think the Twins are hoping for Pelfrey to continue to improve so he can be traded soon and open a roster spot for Albers or someone else. I think that's why he started first after the all star break to give him more starts before the deadline. Obviously that opens a second spot in the rotation.
    Everybody keeps talking about getting rid of Pelfry, but as this article clearly shows they need him. Next year if one quality arm is ready (good case senario) out of the minors they still have to fill out the rotation. Peltry mean while is following the classic TJ recovery; stronger in the second half and even stronger next year.

I think they should extend Pelfrey, he can be a top of rotation starter. as far as this list, I really dont see any options, worley is hurt & he has been terrible, albers has been good at AAA but he is throwing 83-85 & that will not translate to big league success, you say walters doesnt have good enough stuff to pitch in the bigs , i disagree he basically has 1 full season of stats under his belt, IF he locates his pitches he can pitch in the bigs , he is no different than hendriks, neither have over whelming stuff but must locate all there pitches , hendriks is younger but look at his #s , they are no better than walters..lets just say the options in AAA are not good & thats even if ALL of them were healthy...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does not look like we have options for Diamond at this time. Too bad, We cannot afford to have a full 40 man roster incase we take more players than we sell at this time.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
    A half dozen really really really bad choices.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    In the last 3 years, Swarzak was given 11 starts. All of them in 2011. His FIP (3.92) and xFIP (4.45) as a starter were better than his relief numbers that year. The Twins have started many pitchers who haven't done nearly as well in the last three seasons.

It could be that his two fastballs and curve ball aren't enough and his change up isn't effective enough to be starter. On the otherhand, there are pitchers who have pitched poorly and given a much longer look as a starter. I asked for analysis earlier because it is something i wonder. Any analysis?

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 274 Times in 178 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I cringe at all but Albers. He really does stand out in this group. Plus, the Twins like to have one lefty in the rotation, so Albers is the obvious choice. As for finding 40-man room, perhaps they're waiting for the trading deadline for that to sort itself out.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What about Trevor May. He obviously needs more time but would be the best option to get major league hitters out. He is on the 40 man roster and when he is on, he is really good, when he isn't on, he isn't good. In a perfect world we wouldn't consider him for this year. But I think it is obvious that we are not in a perfect scenario.

umm...

Quote Originally Posted by tjsyam921 View Post
    Trading Pelfrey does open a roster spot, but it also leaves another hole in the rotation. So you add a player to the 40-man for Big Pelf, and you still don;t have a slot for someone to replace Diamond.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3up3down View Post
    I think they should extend Pelfrey, he can be a top of rotation starter. as far as this list, I really dont see any options, worley is hurt & he has been terrible, albers has been good at AAA but he is throwing 83-85 & that will not translate to big league success, you say walters doesnt have good enough stuff to pitch in the bigs , i disagree he basically has 1 full season of stats under his belt, IF he locates his pitches he can pitch in the bigs , he is no different than hendriks, neither have over whelming stuff but must locate all there pitches , hendriks is younger but look at his #s , they are no better than walters..lets just say the options in AAA are not good & thats even if ALL of them were healthy...
    Albers has not had a chance to pitch in the ML. Don't write him off just yet. Let's be fair. Walters and Hendriks were given a few chances already. They both failed to succeed.

I wouldn't throw in the towel on Worley and Hendriks yet. They are both relatively young pitchers yet and have time to turn it around. If one of these guys are able to figure it out and pitch effective enough to cover the 4 or 5 spot in the rotation for the next 3 years I would be ecstatic!

Liked 290 Times in 162 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am hoping for a creative move that gives Albers a chance.

jun, I am not writing Albers off , all i am saying is most on here just see the stats & thats ok..I have seen Albers pitch in college & professional, as I have seen alot of guys & I cant remember 1 single guy in the last 10 years that has gotten a chance much less succeded throwing 83-85mph, it just dont happen..he maybe , maybe could have some success as a pen guy because he faces hitters one time & has them out front of everything , but that 2nd time thru the order big league hitters will wait back & kill it..he deserves a chance BUT he is not the answer, the best options in AAA or on the AAA DL is unfortunately walters or hendriks. in my opinion walters or hendriks if facing the tigers gives you a chance to win if they are locating pitches. any of the others you have very little chance of winning that day. Albers is alot like Brad Mills , mills had success in the minors , he even pitched great in vegas & thats almost impossible but he had zero success in the bigs & he throws harder than albers & i am not a velocity guy but you have to atleast get it in the hi 80s...

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    I hope the Twins extend Pelfrey. His rehab is going pretty much as expected, and it's not like we have a lot of good young pitchers at AAA that Pelfrey is holding back.

Whatever happened to Cole DeVries? He would have made the team out of spring training, I think, if he hadn't hurt his arm.

Albers has been outstanding in AAA. I think he's earned a chance to show us what he can do against major league hitters, and Scott Diamond needs a chance to get his mojo back in AAA.

No thank you to Walters -- I've seen enough of him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast