Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Reviewing Rotation Reinforcements in Rochester

Quote Originally Posted by wabene View Post
    Everybody keeps talking about getting rid of Pelfry, but as this article clearly shows they need him. Next year if one quality arm is ready (good case senario) out of the minors they still have to fill out the rotation. Peltry mean while is following the classic TJ recovery; stronger in the second half and even stronger next year.
    Dude, Pelfrey is a free agent.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Like I said, I think May is the best option we have. He is on the 40-man roster already and has major league stuff. He is just inconsistent. I would rather have inconsistent but good stuff than a steady super nasty high schooler.

With that being said, Mark Burhle (can't spell that name ) is a pro so maybe it is worth a shot for Albers. You always need those players pushing the edge.

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    Does not look like we have options for Diamond at this time. Too bad, We cannot afford to have a full 40 man roster incase we take more players than we sell at this time.
    Judd Zulgad said this also, but I'm not sure it's right... I only see two option years exercised?? 2011 and 2012, meaning this could be his third and last option year?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 95 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Judd Zulgad said this also, but I'm not sure it's right... I only see two option years exercised?? 2011 and 2012, meaning this could be his third and last option year?
    Which suggests to me that Diamond won't be optioned--he will become a long relief guy for the rest of this season.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 483 Times in 317 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ramirez has been on the 7-day DL for almost exactly 60 days. He could be on the 60-day right now, freeing up a spot for Albers, if that is what the Twins want to do. Further, with Thomas' relative success as a backup CF and sometimes corner OF, Ramirez isn't needed on the roster, so he can be DFAed. I doubt anyone would claim him coming off a two month recovery from a concussion and with an underwhelming resume. I thought Albers reached the upper 80s-low 90s, much like Diamond. I suspect he might be another Colabello, able to excel below the major leagues, but not having the tools to advance to the top level. But, like Colabello, he's earned a chance to try.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Two options used, one left.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

albers has been good at AAA but he is throwing 83-85
    That's unlikely since he was hitting 88 for Team Canada at the WBC this year. Also if you check his scouting report from the University of Kentucky he was hitting high 88-89 then.

Quote Originally Posted by twinstalker View Post
    Dude, Pelfrey is a free agent.
    Dude sign him then. He keeps getting better so the time is now

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It appears that Virgil Vasquez, now in New Britain, may be the most ML ready pitcher we have in the minors.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 144 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3up3down View Post
    jun, I am not writing Albers off , all i am saying is most on here just see the stats & thats ok..I have seen Albers pitch in college & professional, as I have seen alot of guys & I cant remember 1 single guy in the last 10 years that has gotten a chance much less succeded throwing 83-85mph, it just dont happen..he maybe , maybe could have some success as a pen guy because he faces hitters one time & has them out front of everything , but that 2nd time thru the order big league hitters will wait back & kill it..he deserves a chance BUT he is not the answer, the best options in AAA or on the AAA DL is unfortunately walters or hendriks. in my opinion walters or hendriks if facing the tigers gives you a chance to win if they are locating pitches. any of the others you have very little chance of winning that day. Albers is alot like Brad Mills , mills had success in the minors , he even pitched great in vegas & thats almost impossible but he had zero success in the bigs & he throws harder than albers & i am not a velocity guy but you have to atleast get it in the hi 80s...

Albers mixes a high 80s fastball with a slow curve. He has carried reverse platoon splits through the minors with a low groundball rate. You can't find to many major leaguers with that profile, but they exist. Bruce Chen and Barry Zito have pitched a long time with that mix. They would probably be the high end upside comp.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12