Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 Days of Walker

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    I agree. They're also about identical to Sano's but that didn't stop him getting promoted.

He's done more than enough to warrant a promotion I think. Let's get going here, he's 21 already.
    Sano's BB and SO rates were 15% and 27%, respectively. How is that 'about identical' to Walker's rates of 6% and 23%? Plate discipline is the only thing lacking on Walker's resume, and Sano literally walked 2.5 times as often and still spent the whole year in low-A.

I also think KLaw's comment about Walker 'not being a zero' comes through the prism of an overall top-100 list. I am sure that he would (will) put Walker in the Twins top-15.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    Sano's BB and SO rates were 15% and 27%, respectively. How is that 'about identical' to Walker's rates of 6% and 23%? Plate discipline is the only thing lacking on Walker's resume, and Sano literally walked 2.5 times as often and still spent the whole year in low-A.
    In A ball? Sano's rates were 14.5 and 26.0

edit: nevermind we must be looking at the same thing. I guess I wouldn't be as hung up about the lack of walks given the production with the bat.
    Last edited by Willihammer; 07-26-2013 at 09:03 AM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like Walker a lot and I think he has a chance to be a very good Major League ballplayer, but I am not ready to put him in the elite prospect category yet, either. I think he has a very high ceiling, but it may be harder and take longer to reach that ceiling than a lot of people seem to think it will.

At this point in his career (note the emphasis), he's mostly a very good "mistake hitter." He will absolutely punish anything you foolishly throw on the inside part of the plate. That's not a career-killer. A lot of MLB players have made very good livings as "mistake hitters." (Michael Cuddyer, for one.)

But for Walker to become elite, he's going to have to improve his plate discipline and get better at handling pitches on the outer half of the plate.

As I pointed out over in his "adopt a prospect" thread, 14 of his 22 home runs this year have come off MWL Eastern Division pitchers. Teams only play one 3-game series a year against each of the 8 teams in the opposite division, so Walker has 14 home runs in 24 cross-division games and 8 in the 76 games vs Western Division teams... teams and pitchers likely to see Walker several times, as opposed to one 3-game series.

If you want to say Walker's numbers are comparable to Sano, fine. But they are even closer to Mike Gonzales' numbers (BA, OPS, K-rate, BB-rate) from his 2011 season in Beloit, except Gonzales walked about twice as frequently as Walker does.

I'm not down on Walker. In fact, I think his defense in the OF has improved. Early on, I almost cringed when a ball went in his directlion. His routes are better now.

He's a fun player to watch, but I simply don't think elevating him to elite prospect status at this point is very realistic.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    I agree. They're also about identical to Sano's but that didn't stop him getting promoted.

He's done more than enough to warrant a promotion I think. Let's get going here, he's 21 already.
    I would have no problem with a promotion. KLaw made the point that college guys are pretty wasted in Low A in general. But as stated by others he still can develop plenty and is youngish for a college guy.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Walker continues to produce his SLG% and other numbers at every level, then I don't care about the K's

Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At this point in his career (note the emphasis), he's mostly a very good "mistake hitter." He will absolutely punish anything you foolishly throw on the inside part of the plate.
    I agree he pulls too much and is something he will have to work on. That being said: If anyone followed his college career - Half of his HRs were to the opposite field. (That is when he was considered one of the top power hitters in college baseball)

But for Walker to become elite, he's going to have to improve his plate discipline and get better at handling pitches on the outer half of the plate.
    AGREED - although his K Rate has improved drastically.

Note however - Walker hits the elite pitching prospects in the league probably better than he does the marginal pitcher. Elite players produce.

Blog Entries
    Based on his dropping out of the New Twins Prospect Pipeline Rankings - The Twins think like you do too. (SD Buhr)

This years 3rd round pick (Turner) has bypassed last years 3rd round pick (Walker). How does a guy who leads or ranks Top 3 in the league in HRs / RBIs / TBs / Runs / Slug% / & OPS% get jumped over by a guy who is only 2 months younger and still in rookie ball. Help me understand?????????????????????????

Teammates & Position Players Ranked ahead of Walker:
    Harrison 22.7% (K Rate) / .210 ISO
    Goodrum 22.4% (K Rate) / .097 ISO
    Kepler 19.7% (K Rate) / .184 ISO
    Polanco 11% (K Rate) / .143 ISO
    Walker 22.3% (K Rate) / .267 ISO

Not only did he not get promoted this season, Walker got demoted on his Teams Prospect List for his exceptional season. Am I the only one who finds this hard to understand?
    MLBPipeline.com | MLB Prospect Central | twinsbaseball.com: News
    Last edited by lightfoot789; 07-27-2013 at 03:17 AM.

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    You realize that the prospect list at twinsbaseball.com is not run by Terry Ryan, or anyone of importance, right?

Blog Entries
    You realize that the prospect list at twinsbaseball.com is not run by Terry Ryan, or anyone of importance, right?
    This is Jonathon Mayo's updated list from MLB.com

Most people on this site respect Mayo's views and use his opinions as (somewhat) law. (Not that I agree with his opinons and/or list). He is a MLB insider who gets first hand info from GMs and other front office people. All I'm saying is it makes you wonder what he really knows?
    Last edited by lightfoot789; 07-27-2013 at 07:47 AM.

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    This is Jonathon Mayo's updated list from MLB.com

Most people on this site respect Mayo's views and use his opinions as (somewhat) law. (Not that I agree with his opinons and/or list). He is a MLB insider who gets first hand info from GMs and other front office people. All I'm saying is it makes you wonder what he really knows?
    He's an insider, but I don't think he bases his prospect rankings on the views of the front office. I assume they are based on his opinion.

That's why this had me confused:
    "Based on his dropping out of the New Twins Prospect Pipeline Rankings - The Twins think like you do too."

I don't think that's true.
    Last edited by raindog; 07-27-2013 at 09:10 AM. Reason: spelling

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 132 Times in 82 Posts
    Right now Walker is a very interesting flyer in the system. You can focus on his production all you want but the poor plate discipline is going to lead to some big issues as he moves up in the minors and possibly as far as the majors.

Blog Entries
    You can focus on his production all you want but the poor plate discipline is going to lead to some big issues as he moves up in the minors and possibly as far as the majors.
    I'm just trying to get a grip on this plate discipline thing. Are we talking lack of Walks? Are we talking strike outs? He doesn't walk much and I agree with that being concerning.

Yet his OPS is best in the league (.881)! His OBP is a quality (.330)! His SLG% is best in the league (.551)!
    He does strike out at a 22.3% rate, but that is not that bad for a slugger at any level. He improved that from 30% to 22% in one season. Why are people still overly concerned with his plate discipline when he has shown Major improvements in that area? What are you basing this poor plate discipline on? Are you comparing him with other sluggers in the minor leagues or non sluggers?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 132 Times in 82 Posts
    I'm just trying to get a grip on this plate discipline thing. Are we talking lack of Walks? Are we talking strike outs? He doesn't walk much and I agree with that being concerning.

Yet his OPS is best in the league (.881)! His OBP is a quality (.330)! His SLG% is best in the league (.551)!
    He does strike out at a 22.3% rate, but that is not that bad for a slugger at any level. He improved that from 30% to 22% in one season. Why are people still overly concerned with his plate discipline when he has shown Major improvements in that area? What are you basing this poor plate discipline on? Are you comparing him with other sluggers in the minor leagues or non sluggers?
    His K:BB ratio is awful. We don't have cool data like pitchFX but K:BB tells us that he is probably chasing a lot of pitches and/or having trouble making contact even with strikes. He has shown improvement which is encouraging but he is already striking out a lot against pitchers that don't have a quality breaking ball/fastball combo. That won't be true as he moves up to A+/AA ball and definitely not in the majors.

I'm definitely not comparing MLB K rates to low minors K rates. Most MLB'ers with high K rates didn't start having problems until high minors or MLB pitchers found the holes in their swing.

You are focused too much on K rates for comparable MiLB players. Goodrum (whom I don't like much), Kepler and harrison are all younger and all of them walk twice as much. And the K's are still a red flag for all 3 of them although not as big of an issue.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 810 Times in 510 Posts
    Blog Entries

Here's the problem. He's going to hit AA in the next couple of years at which point, he's going to see curve balls that he has not seen before. Pitchers are going to be able to locate those said pitches, and if he cannot lay off of them, he's in trouble. He's an intriguing prospect, without a doubt, but he's going to have start walking more and swinging less or he won't make it past AA.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As long as the Twins continue to keep college guys in Low A, Twins college prospects will continue to be undervalued by outside observers like K-LAW. The alternative is to make them skip Low A, like Levi Michael. And that was a mistake. All things considered, I'd much rather err on the side of caution with prospects, and never mind the rankings. If he's good enough, he'll eventually get his propers, like Danny Valencia.

All that said, I think he's at least a month past the time I would have promoted him.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Here's the problem with the Walker situation.... who's he replacing in Ft Meyers?

Buxton.... Obviously not
    Mike Kvasnicka.... Probably not.
    JD Williams... Maybe, but he just received a deserved promotion from CR
    Vargas... Not unless he gets promoted

They only way Walker makes sense to promote is if it follows a FM promotion. Vargas probably deserves it and the options at First Base in NB aren't making anyone blush. But then you're running a 1B/DH/OF rotation for Walker. That might be what he ends up as eventually, but I doubt they want to shift him away from OF quite yet.

The other option is to promote Kvasnicka, who's been really good at FM this year. That frees up RF for Walker. There's playing time to be had at NB in the outfield since the incumbent RF there (Parraz) is in his late 20s and is only holding his own.

This armchair GM thinks that probably the best option.
    Last edited by amjgt; 07-29-2013 at 12:55 PM. Reason: typos

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12