Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Sano sitting for a few days after how he handled himself hitting homerun

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Morris View Post
    I'm curious at the idea of "Information that doesn't comport with my assumptions must be propaganda", but:Twins need a coach from Latin America, pronto | StarTribune.com

When confronted over this by Smith, notorious in the Twins' system as a hard-nosed manager, Sano basically told Smith that he would do what he chose after hitting home runs.
    Ryan also had another team employee talk to Sano. Apparently, Sano's response was not satisfactory to the Twins. So, the No. 3 overall prospect in the minor leagues sits at Jeff Smith's discretion.

Unless Reusse's in on the coverup?

Originally Posted by jonkin
    and can put in a better system and more diverse personnel to anticipate future insubordination and team rule violation problems that might arise from some youth/cultural/language barriers.
    I'm curious what cultural barrier you see at play when Sano tells his manager that he'll do what he wants when he homers.
    This is jokin, not jonkin. A reporter related one version of whatever events transpired, from a manager with a well-documented history of players chafing and rebelling under his leadership style. I wonder if the reporter even tried to get Sano's reaction, was refused by Sano, or was not allowed to get a comment from Sano (through a translator) by Twins management. Miguel Sano is only 20, in a foreign culture, and can barely speak a string of English phrases, let alone maintain a meaningful ongoing conversation in the language.

There's no doubt in my mind that he has made youthful mistakes of immaturity in this particular matter. Whatever may or may not have transpired with Lanigan, in Sano's state of mind and youthful immaturity, regaining whatever respect that he may have perceived was lost in that tempetuous tete-a-tete with Lanigan may be more important culturally to him than a manager saying he can't do it that way (just speculation on my part). Plus, playing with a cocky and one-upsmanship style is the way Dominicans play the game in the DR. Most quickly learn to adapt to behavioral norms deemed acceptable in American baseball- Miguel is apparently still learning what is and isn't acceptable. The part with Jeff Smith could easily be a language-barrier-cultural-divide-related misunderstanding. As a former coach myself, I've seen, witnessed and learned to adapt my methodology for disciplinary action about such differences in real time.

I'm not worried about Sano, Terry Ryan has gone on record about what a wonderful person he is. This could end up being the best thing for him and for the organization- especially if Ryan identifies the new reality for the Twins is being very proactive in insuring that a bushelful of very young and highly talented foreign-born players end up all on the same page with the native-born players on the Twins roster. The coming years are clearly going to be a vastly different scenario than merely trying to keep the likes of Alexi Casilla, Juan Castro and Henry Blanco happy. It sounds like they have a program at Fort Myers for cultural immersion and language training, that's a good start. An ongoing support outreach, including a former professional big league Latin-born player as a coach or manager at each stop in the minors would be a good next step.
    Last edited by jokin; 07-29-2013 at 12:20 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 381 Times in 234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Are people really this paranoid about this situation? How he can't wait to leave, his agent might be calling around, etc.
    After what happened with Arizona's top prospect Trevor Bauer last year, it should probably at least be in the back of the front office's mind.

I don't like citing Killerbrew, Thome, Ortiz as a defense if this action. Sano is a long way to being a hall of famer.
    I don't believe there is anyone here who thinks Sano should get special treatment for being a special prospect. Yet this implies that if he ends up being a HOF'er his actions should be excused.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    After what happened with Arizona's top prospect Trevor Bauer last year, it should probably at least be in the back of the front office's mind.

I don't believe there is anyone here who thinks Sano should get special treatment for being a special prospect. Yet this implies that if he ends up being a HOF'er his actions should be excused.
    I'm on pretty safe ground by stating multiple posters felt Sano should get special treatment. Brock's 2nd to the last post, did a good job of providing some perspective on this matter. If Sano ends up in the HOF, I would guess the incident is deleted from his personnel file.
    Last edited by howieramone; 07-29-2013 at 01:30 AM.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Just because the physical nature of the games differ, does not make the situations any different.

Great leaders relish the challenge, they don't always succeed, I think Mauer is likely one of those guys, he's too good an athlete not to be.
    Well, I think your first point I took out here is wrong. The second, I agree with. I don't disagree Mauer likes a challenge. And, by the way, this is no slight on Mauer. I think Pujols is similar in demeanor.

But since you want to use hockey, let's talk analogy. The cup winners this year had a captain by the name of Jonathan Toews. I think we can agree Mauer and Toews are similar players in terms of demeanor and personality. Toews makes a fantastic captain for the very reasons Mauer would in hockey - outstanding work ethic, team-first guy, willing to do the little things, humble, and speaks with his actions more than his words. Toews is the guy that is grinding and working and setting the tone with all of those qualities. It makes for an excellent leader. In baseball, those qualities are not on display mid-game nearly as much. (Dramatically reduced by comparison) But they show up off the field - which is where I think Mauer is an outstanding leader.

But.....he's not often the guy that is the finisher, that wants the spotlight, that isn't afraid to be brash. In this case, I'm talking a guy like Patrick Kane. Here's a guy that relishes being the one that puts the boot to the throat. The Jeter/Sano/Pierzynski/Holliday/Brian Wilson type that craves the spotlight and wants to lead more than in the background, but wants to be the man that buries the puck the final time just so he can have the glory and the last laugh.

That's what Sano is that Mauer isn't. That's what the Twins need more of IMO. And, hopefully, this analogy shows you that I'm not slighting Mauer at all, it's just not in his make-up as a person to be Kane. He's Toews - which is still pretty friggin awesome. But I LOVE seeing our own Kane coming up through the minors.
    Last edited by TheLeviathan; 07-29-2013 at 06:42 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    These strike me as quite different. Bauer had preparation and performance concerns. Sano has never been accused of this - in fact quite the opposite.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 82 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What I find troublesome is that some are insinuating that Sano will become disgruntled with being disciplined. Really? He isn't Manny Ramirez, and even Manny dealt with disciplines at the MLB level during his career. He is a 20 yo kid from Latin America. I'm pretty sure he knows what discipline is and how to handle it. The Twins have been pretty good to him, I don't think he is going to turn on them because he missed a few games. I was fine with a simple day off after the little HR stunt, but once the mouthing off part came out, it really put this into context. Again, this is a 20 yo being dismissive to the GM of the Twins. Not acceptable. There is no way any adult here (out of college) would accept this in their workplace, baseball is still real life.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    What I find troublesome is that some are insinuating that Sano will become disgruntled with being disciplined. Really? He isn't Manny Ramirez, and even Manny dealt with disciplines at the MLB level during his career. He is a 20 yo kid from Latin America. I'm pretty sure he knows what discipline is and how to handle it. The Twins have been pretty good to him, I don't think he is going to turn on them because he missed a few games. I was fine with a simple day off after the little HR stunt, but once the mouthing off part came out, it really put this into context. Again, this is a 20 yo being dismissive to the GM of the Twins. Not acceptable. There is no way any adult here (out of college) would accept this in their workplace, baseball is still real life.
    I agree, but there is a giant elephant in the room - Sano's value. It isn't terribly unusual in a company to have the "talent" report to someone who is a fraction of the value to the organization. And the talent needs to respect that person as the mouthpiece of the organization.

But when things get really ugly, the company is going to side with the asset, because they have to. Sano is literally worth tens of millions of dollars right now. With the possible exception of Terry Ryan, no other person in the Twins is worth that much. What is alarming is that he pushed the issue. Maybe he felt it was because an injustice was done or he felt really strongly about something, so maybe it was somewhat justified, but the alarming part is that someone with as much clout as he pushed back.

It's a goofy analogy, but there was a Twilight Zone episode where a kid had unlimited power, and so everyone was very careful about how they treated him. People worry about Sano's reaction because you worry about someone with that much clout.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    It's a goofy analogy, but there was a Twilight Zone episode where a kid had unlimited power, and so everyone was very careful about how they treated him. People worry about Sano's reaction because you worry about someone with that much clout.
    I believe a similar boy dictated "Bonerland" was founded by "some guy". Ah good satire, how I miss thee.

Senior Member All-Star
    These strike me as quite different. Bauer had preparation and performance concerns. Sano has never been accused of this - in fact quite the opposite.
    I don't think it was a performance issue, I think it was his insistance to do things how he wanted to do them. AZ ended up shipping him off because he didn't fit their ideal which has been reported as players who fit into the Kurt Gibson mold.

That mold is basically the Twins model. Obviously both teams would take talent and hard work if they came in the same package, but they seem to prefer gritty hard nosed players over God-given talent.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    I don't think it was a performance issue, I think it was his insistance to do things how he wanted to do them. AZ ended up shipping him off because he didn't fit their ideal which has been reported as players who fit into the Kurt Gibson mold.

That mold is basically the Twins model. Obviously both teams would take talent and hard work if they came in the same package, but they seem to prefer gritty hard nosed players over God-given talent.
    There is absolutely no evidence that this is true.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
    I think the Sano's defiance "earned" him the additional games. This may have very well been a "I hate the other guy and I lost my mind a bit," but he showed disrespect to his manager, which to me is far worse than having a momentary lapse in judgement after hitting a bomb. The slow trot was worth maybe one game and the treatment to poor treatment of his manager was the other 3 games.

What's more damaging: Being treated poorly by someone in the family or that someone treating someone else poorly?

If you're treating your own family poorly, you need to sit down and re-evaluate some things.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    There is absolutely no evidence that this is true.
    This team has chosen dirty uniforms grinding pitchers over flash time and time again. I'm not saying it isn't admirable, but I don't think it's a winning formula in professional baseball. Fortunately they are getting the combo platter lately due to drafting high.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think this quote today puts things into their proper perspective, confirms the theory about cultural and language barriers and youthful immaturity.

“If anything, I think he’s trying to figure things out and understand,” said Rob Antony, the Twins assistant general manager. “He’s a good kid but, like we say, it’s all part of the development. He has to understand that it’s not right, that’s not the way we go about and we clean that stuff up in Double-A.”

I think everyone has moved on and all sides have/will benefit from what transpired.

Sano's four-game benching at New Britain comes to an end | StarTribune.com

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I think this quote today puts things into their proper
    perspective, confirms the theory about cultural and language barriers and youthful immaturity.

“If anything, I think he’s trying to figure things out and understand,” said Rob Antony, the Twins assistant general manager. “He’s a good kid but, like we say, it’s all part of the development. He has to understand that it’s not right, that’s not the way we go about and we clean that stuff up in Double-A.”

I think everyone has moved on and all sides have/will benefit from what transpired.

Sano's four-game benching at New Britain comes to an end | StarTribune.com
    I agree with all this. The Twins need to temper the excesses, but Ryan made clear in the Saturday interview that he appreciates a little edge. That is unquestionably a good thing.

Senior Member All-Star
    This team has chosen dirty uniforms grinding pitchers over flash time and time again. I'm not saying it isn't admirable, but I don't think it's a winning formula in professional baseball. Fortunately they are getting the combo platter lately due to drafting high.
    I don't buy the Twins operate like this. They prefer talent.

Senior Member All-Star
    I don't buy the Twins operate like this. They prefer talent.
    Their ventures into free agency says otherwise. Their drafting of Alex Wimmers as opposed to the half dozen talented HS pitchers picked quickly after says otherwise. Trading Liriano for Escobar and Hernandez who are very low ceiling grinders instead of a guy in the lower ranks with upside say otherwise.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Ryan made clear in the Saturday interview that he appreciates a little edge.
    What have you seen, by the way this team operates, that makes you believe this is true?

Senior Member All-Star
    Their ventures into free agency says otherwise. Their drafting of Alex Wimmers as opposed to the half dozen talented HS pitchers picked quickly after says otherwise. Trading Liriano for Escobar and Hernandez who are very low ceiling grinders instead of a guy in the lower ranks with upside say otherwise.
    They drafted Wimmers because of his grit?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 54 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I believe a similar boy dictated "Bonerland" was founded by "some guy". Ah good satire, how I miss thee.
    Points for Simpsons Quote. All other posters are number two or lower.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 821 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This team has gone out of its way to get both. There's plenty of "flash" in the minors right now, and Sano is a good example of that as are guys like Rosario and Benson. There's plenty of gritty hard nosed players too. A good team will need both to succeed.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast