Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sano sitting for a few days after how he handled himself hitting homerun

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LimestoneBaggy View Post
    Again, I'm not accusing Sano of anything here, I don't have any info, but speaking generally, the league self policies here and I have no problem with the Twins, in their judgment, adjusting attitudes to the acceptable norms.
    One could argue that the game itself will iron this behavior out. Show up enough guys and someone will fire one up around your shoulder.

That being said, the kid is 20 and it isn't necessary to teach him every lesson the hard way esp. if there's a chance it could end up really setting back his career. I agree he needs to be punished.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoPilgrim View Post
    Wasn't Sano benched in Fort Myers in June for a few days for some sort of clubhouse issue?

Hope this isn't a sign of personality issues that may develop down the road.
    He did something similar but it was after being thrown at so Dougie Baseball gave him a pass.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Notice the coaches and his teammates... That's telling. If the Twins let Sano get away with that, they lose everyone.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 109 Times in 66 Posts
    Demanding that your players respect the game is NOT why the Twins have been losing the past couple of years. As Smerf suggests, ML pitchers wouldn't be happy with that kind of behavior, and Sano is putting himself in a position for retaliation (an thus getting hurt).

Senior Member Triple-A Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 33 Posts
    Being competitive and confident in your abilities doesn't give you license to play the superstar. Would Harmon Killebrew do that?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Don't worry about Gardy, he'll be gone before Sano gets to the bigs. As to what Sano did, the delay getting to first seemed excessive and called for a response. You do not see the quality teams or players showing people up. I hate the Yankees but they don't do things like that. Neither do the Dodgers. Did Bonds? yeah, and I rest my case. Sano seems to have a lot of emotion in his game. That's great but it needs to be positively directed. A little showboating now and who knows what in 2 or 3 years. Remember, he was ejected earlier in the year for similar actions.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Scottie Graham, running back for the Vikings on why he didn't execute some 'cute moves' after scoring a touchdown:
    "I went to Ohio State. We were told to act like we've been there and we intend to be there again."

I always appreciated that about him.
    Sano looks like that might be the last home run he ever hits.

There are a few MLB pitchers who'd put the next pitch to him in his ear. Then, I suppose, he might think it was a good idea to watch that last home run he ever hit.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    One could argue that the game itself will iron this behavior out. Show up enough guys and someone will fire one up around your shoulder.

That being said, the kid is 20 and it isn't necessary to teach him every lesson the hard way esp. if there's a chance it could end up really setting back his career. I agree he needs to be punished.
    I don't think sitting him for a couple of games is going to set back his career or hurt his development. It seems appropriate. Actions like this have caused some pretty big dustups recently... If it happens in the pros, it's the type of thing that can 5 and 10 game suspensions for multiple players... and injuries on top of that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The minor leagues are about learning and growing. Just part of the process. I appreciate that the Twins have the courage to discipline behavior for even the best of prospects. Far better for him to miss a game or two now.

It isn't just about this particular event. It is about expectations. Whether it be running out a batted ball, hustling on and off the field, arriving on time it doesn't matter. If the team has expectations that are not met, discipline like missing a game or two should follow.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sit him now so they don't even have to think of sitting him in the bigs.

I have to say I'm excited by the swagger coming through the system. It will do this franchise some good.

Complete side note regarding the video-- Sano looks absolutely huge in the video. I have never seen him in person, but everyone mentions how huge he is. He looks to be as tall standing in the box as the pitcher standing on the mound in the video.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is one place where the Twins do not deserve any criticism. I listened to Dan Barrerio try to play both sides of this issue on the way home from work. There is no real question, this what you should do when anyone, major league or minor league crosses the line. Set him down for a few days. Unless you really liked the behavior of the Manny Rameriez's of this world, I don't understand how anyone can be upset with the Twins, here.

The minor leagues is where kids learn how to play like major leaguers. They should also learn how to act like major leaguers. There are exceptions, but baseball players generally act like professionals. Unlike many football players and basketball players. I appreciate that the Twins do more than talk about their players acting professionally. This has nothing to do with curbing personality. Harmon Killebrew, Tony Olivia, Kirby Puckett, Kent Hrbek and many others had plenty of personality, but it didn't keep them from acting professionally on the field.

I agree with the previous poster, who said act like you been there before.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Come on ya'll... this one (from the video, not even knowing what was happening other than he was watching it) absolutely should create some sort of punishment... that's not just watching it, that's flat-out showing up the opponent. Molitor was right in saying that it was embarrassing. Long-term, it's not a big deal. Learn from it, move on, and hit lots more home runs.

This kind of thing would absolutely create a dust-up in the big leagues!
    I agree, Shame on you Miguel Sano for hitting a HR. You need to start to learn to play and hit the Twins way. We expect singles and doubles to the gap. Home Runs are a thing of the past and should be saved for batting practice and Home Run Derby's.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    I agree, Shame on you Miguel Sano for hitting a HR. You need to start to learn to play and hit the Twins way. We expect singles and doubles to the gap. Home Runs are a thing of the past and should be saved for batting practice and Home Run Derby's.
    5 seconds and 5 steps to first base by my stopwatch and limited view of the video before he began his homerun trot. I'm surprised at the utter lack of an exuberant response from his teammates, especially in comparison to the reaction we've seen from big hits at the lower A level games and by the major league club. Is there a chemistry issue going on at New Britain? By the eye test, this specific behavior by Sano might deserve an in-game benching and MAYBE? one more game, but not several. There must be more to the story that happened behind the scenes in the manager's office to merit the additional discipline meted out.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sano's approach might be problematic, but so too is the organization's. First Arcia allegedly misses a call-up because he didn't run full out, and now Sano is benched for showmanship. Have the Twins ever heard of talking to their young players, and then trusting them with the next step? This continues to smack of an out-of-touch, old-school organization.

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
    Papi part 2? He still haunts me on the New Britain website.

At the very least he gets the hell out of the twin cities once his contract is up, even if we somehow manage to offer him a lucrative deal.

What I just said was facetious at best, but it's a real fear of mine. Sorry I don't fully endorse the Twins way. Guess what, he's a 20 yr old kid from the Dominican. Was he out of line? Yeah. BUT HE IS A KID. People mature. I hope the Twins don't stifle his personality. I trust he will learn how to handle himself- the game often sorts itself out like that. I remember Harper pimping home runs in the minors. I just hope Sano doesn't get alienated by the "Twins Way", or as I often call it with much chagrin, pure vanilla. Please- can we have nice things? I don't want to see him go to New York or elsewhere and become Papi Part Deux way down the road.
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
    And for all you old timers out there who curse the attitudes and kids of the next generation, how many of you knew that our own Harmon Killebrew was the man who was first widely known for standing at home plate, admiring his own home runs?
    Last edited by B Richard; 07-25-2013 at 09:42 PM.
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LastOnePicked View Post
    Sano's approach might be problematic, but so too is the organization's. First Arcia allegedly misses a call-up because he didn't run full out, and now Sano is benched for showmanship. Have the Twins ever heard of talking to their young players, and then trusting them with the next step? This continues to smack of an out-of-touch, old-school organization.
    I couldn't agree more. It's not like he's not wearing a batting helmet.
    Last edited by howieramone; 07-25-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LastOnePicked View Post
    It's possible that they haven't talked to them and are assessing discipline as the first step of correction.

It's also possibl that they have talked to them, and perhaps more than once, and that these disciplinary actions are a second or third (or more?) attempt to instill a proper professional attitude.

Since none of us are in the clubhouse, none of us know definitively which scenario is correct.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B Richard View Post
    I hope the Twins don't stifle his personality.
    This is the key to me. I find it really amusing that someone suggested Killebrew would never do this, considering the dude loved to stand at the plate and admire his quite impressive handiwork. And who can blame him?

Keep coaching the kid. This may be a step that is necessary after (I'm sure) conversations behind the scenes have already happened. Just please don't take the edge of the kid is my thing. This organization has been hypocritically harsh on players who have some feistiness in their game. Cuddyer or Mauer or any other "aw shucks" good guy makes a goof and we don't do anything. Bartlett, Garza, and the edgier guys get run out of town by constantly being blasted for how they play.

Coach him to be a bit more mature and less insultingly showy...but please god don't take the edge off this kid.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast