Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sano sitting for a few days after how he handled himself hitting homerun

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Keep coaching the kid. This may be a step that is necessary after (I'm sure) conversations behind the scenes have already happened. Just please don't take the edge of the kid is my thing. This organization has been hypocritically harsh on players who have some feistiness in their game. Cuddyer or Mauer or any other "aw shucks" good guy makes a goof and we don't do anything. Bartlett, Garza, and the edgier guys get run out of town by constantly being blasted for how they play.

Coach him to be a bit more mature and less insultingly showy...but please god don't take the edge off this kid.
    Well stated. I see similar shades of "attitude concern" with Arcia in this community if not our own beloved organization. I like guys who get after it and aren't afraid to show it. Done the right way, that's what competition is about. I don't have an issue with some chastising for this event, but one point that I think has been overlooked is that players often police the game themselves. Want to pimp a homerun? Expect one high and tight next time. Everybody eventually figures it out.

You can't fit a square peg in a round hole. I hope this organization handles one of the keys to our future with the utmost understanding.
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Twins fans don't worry about Sano's attitude. When he makes his MLB debut in 3 years he will have grown out of such things.

One thing I didn't see commented about by anyone but there may be some history with the pitcher. Does anyone even know who the pitcher was?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 196 Times in 124 Posts
    I don't like Sano showing up the pitcher but is this a league-wide standard practice? Surely there have been other minor leaguers who have behaved inappropriately after hitting a HR. Do other clubs utilize the same punishment?

This probably wouldn't be an issue if the Twins reputation for bravado suppression wasn't already assumed. A multi-game suspension doesn't seem in order here, more like a stern talking-to.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    For me, number one, this is a safety concern. I find the "Twins being too old school" comments funny. I'm not worried about the Twins being old school, I'm worry about every other team being old school and trying to throw one at his head, potentially ending his career before it started. Sano doing this pissed off other teams last year in low A. I remember it lead to a shouting match and people getting tossed. This year in high A he got a ball thrown at his head after doing the same thing. Even after that he's doing it in AA? People want him to go out the next game and face that team again? He's just a kid, he has a lot of fire, and thats a good thing, but this is a lesson that wasn't sinking in. Sitting two days doesnt take that fire away or ruin relationships with the team. It let Sano know the Org. takes his and his teammates health seriously. Hanson could use some at bats anyway.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maxisagod View Post
    For me, number one, this is a safety concern. I find the "Twins being too old school" comments funny. I'm not worried about the Twins being old school, I'm worry about every other team being old school and trying to throw one at his head, potentially ending his career before it started. Sano doing this pissed off other teams last year in low A. I remember it lead to a shouting match and people getting tossed. This year in high A he got a ball thrown at his head after doing the same thing. Even after that he's doing it in AA? People want him to go out the next game and face that team again? He's just a kid, he has a lot of fire, and thats a good thing, but this is a lesson that wasn't sinking in. Sitting two days doesnt take that fire away or ruin relationships with the team. It let Sano know the Org. takes his and his teammates health seriously. Hanson could use some at bats anyway.
    I tend to agree. We have enough guys getting hit in the face unintentionally (Rosario). We don't need to give opposing pitchers any reasons to throw at them intentionally. I just hoped someone has explained this to Sano.

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have no problem with a little swagger and going to the plate with an attitude each and every time. However, after you exert that dominance, it's time to put it in check.

Many of us take pride in the fact the Twins are/were respected for playing the game the "right way". Run out each and every ball, make good decisions, be a professional, play solid defense, etc. Recent squads and Gardy have both taken plenty of criticism for not being able to meet that expectation. We'd certainly like that expectation to be accompanied with more success, but it's not a difficult one to meet regardless of performance or overall talent.

It seems a bit hypocritical to now also criticize them for trying to instill a professional attitude.
    Last edited by jay; 07-25-2013 at 11:41 PM.

Liked 347 Times in 197 Posts
    Minnesota Twins: Top prospect Miguel Sano disciplined, benched - TwinCities.com

A few interesting comments at the end of Berardino's piece about "mental exhaustion"

Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why would moliter go on the radio and talk about this? Why is he showing up the player? This another reason I hope he never becomes the manager

I'm sorry, I watched the video and I don't get what all the fuss is about. He stood and watched his home run. So what. Major leaguers do it all the time. If it hurts the pitchers feelings than maybe he should try and get him out next time.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    A little humility never hurt anyone... I don't blame Sano, but he has got to learn and I doubt this is the first time he has done this. People need to remember he is still just a kid, it's good that they are nipping this problem in the bud now before it became some national talking point on espn when he is a star.

Anyone who thinks he didn't show up the pitcher is crazy. Hell in my adult league if you pulled that crap you would get thrown at, it's just how baseball is and always will remain, showing up the pitcher in any level is a big no no.

It's 2-3 minor league games, people need to relax a bit and get off the twins cases. I'm sure this happens all the time in the minors and we just don't hear about it

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Why would moliter go on the radio and talk about this? Why is he showing up the player? This another reason I hope he never becomes the manager
    Its one of the best prospects in baseball....they couldn't duck the issue. Better to be straightforward.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    It's only "showing up the opponent" because baseball is stupid. He hit a homerun. the only reason people can't stand his reaction is because baseball players have stupid unwritten rules about being happy you did something. I hate that about baseball. Hate IT,
    Lighten up Francis....

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    It's only "showing up the opponent" because baseball is stupid. He hit a homerun. the only reason people can't stand his reaction is because baseball players have stupid unwritten rules about being happy you did something. I hate that about baseball. Hate IT,
    I'll ask the question again, but tell what good comes out of something like that?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    One final thing is that Twins officials often talk about how driven Sano is to become a great 'player' and not just a HR hitter. For example, the Twins have asked him to sharpen his defensive skills and he has (apparently) gladly done the extra work to the point that no one doubts his ability to start his MLB career at the hot corner. The Twins have also asked him (and all prospects) to work on his English, and he has taken it upon himself to even do (some) interviews in English.

I think it is fully possible that his 'struggles' at the plate in AA weighed heavily on him, and now that he is on a hot streak, he's just really, really excited! I also would not be surprised that, after watching the video, he did not realize the degree to which he stood up the pitcher and the other team. He may even be able to see the line he crossed, which I think is as much about his team still being behind after the HR as the grandstanding (I don't think we are even having this discussion if it was a walk-off HR, or one that gives his team a lead in the top of the 9th).

There are a bunch of other Sano HR videos out there, and it's interesting to compare his teammates reaction as well. In the others, his teammates spill out of the dugout to congratulate him and give him high-fives. He will also acknowledge the bat boy and sometimes do a special handshake. His reception after this HR was very icy, much like the faux one Morneau got after breaking his long HR drought.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxisagod View Post
    I agree with Maxisgod because I support the "old time" school of thought. He should hit the ball and get moving. Also, if/when a player does that to a Twins pitcher then I think he should get a fastball to the back when he comes to the plate in future. I don't support going after somebody's head but I believe in sending a message. If Alex Meyer was on the mound for that and he did not plunk Sano in the back during his next at bat then might it be said that he is soft and does not have attitude and swagger? I DON’T mean hitting somebody for hitting a HR; that is crap. I mean for showing up my team. For those of you who say you support the attitude and the swagger that is watching an HR for an excessive amount of time then you really have to accept that he will get thrown at later. It is a trade-off because that is same attitude and swagger but coming from a pitcher.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 38 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I actually love this about baseball. I'm with Lev on not wanting to coach away Sano/Arcia's edge (confidence is a good thing), but the chest beating garbage you see in other sports is just too much. I also draw a distinction between a little celebrating to entertain (see: end zone dance), vs. taunting (see: holding the ball back as you cross the end zone). But I can respect differing opinions here.

Edit: Thought of another good example: Arica's overhead celebration of a hit (think someone said it was an RBI thing), vs. watching a home run. For some reason, I think the former is good stuff/within the boundaries.
    Last edited by LimestoneBaggy; 07-26-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Liked 347 Times in 197 Posts
    It's a learning experience for him.

I'm sure it is a fine line between making sure players respect the "rules of the game" (even the unwritten ones) and crushing their spirit.

I, too, would prefer that Twins players should a little more liveliness in general but there are times to do that and times not to do that.

I think TRex is correct about his struggles at AA weighing on him. So a break may be good for him.

This points out one of the concerns I have with the abundance of minor league coverage. It's great that people are interested in prospects but we all need to remember that many of them are pretty young kids. Everything tends to get blown out of proportion by the blogosphere, commenters and yes, now the mainstream media too. Not sure that benching Sano (or a similar high end prospect) would have been even a blip 20 years ago.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I'll ask the question again, but tell what good comes out of something like that?

What harm comes? I think sports are fun, and we are sucking the fun out. The guy hit a homerun, he should be happy and excited. There is only harm because people have decided it is bad, for no real reason. It does not actual harm, other than people inside their head. How you react to an event is on you, not on the event.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 196 Times in 124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    I have no problem with a little swagger and going to the plate with an attitude each and every time. However, after you exert that dominance, it's time to put it in check.

Many of us take pride in the fact the Twins are/were respected for playing the game the "right way". Run out each and every ball, make good decisions, be a professional, play solid defense, etc. Recent squads and Gardy have both taken plenty of criticism for not being able to meet that expectation. We'd certainly like that expectation to be accompanied with more success, but it's not a difficult one to meet regardless of performance or overall talent.

It seems a bit hypocritical to now also criticize them for trying to instill a professional attitude.
    I don't like showboating, but to be fair, those that are critical of the suspension are likely the same people who think that the Twins doing things the "Right Way" is either condescending, archaic or phoney and the "Right Way" is holding the team back from joining the modern age of baseball. I don't think there's any hypocrisy here.

I read the entire thread and it seems to me people are ignoring there have been other issues with Sano. None of us are in a position to judge the discipline with the limited information we have but there is more to this story than this particular incident. As you said, his teamates and the 1st base coach were sure he had crossed the line. That is a very good indication on this specific incident without even considering preveious actions. Molitor, who is obviously much closer to the situation was not pleased with Sano's behavior when asked about it during his weelky interview on 1500. I am pretty sure none of us are in a position to question a guy with Molitors credentials, especially when he is far better informed than we are on the situation.
    Last edited by Major Leauge Ready; 07-26-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast