Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twins top ten starting pitching prospects

Senior Member Triple-A Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 33 Posts

Twins top ten starting pitching prospects

I'm looking for some opinions on who you folks think are our top 10 starting pitchers in the minors. It's pretty easy to pick out Meyer, Berrios, Stewart, but for some of the guys in the lower levels, I have no idea how guys like Landa and Jorge stack up, or the power arms of the 2012 draft like Bard or Melatokis rank, or Baxendale, etc.

What would BA say?

Liked 317 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    What would BA say?
    Not sure what BA would say, but MLB.com says this: (go there and then click on top 20 by team, select the Twins and you will get the top 9 position players as well...)

1-11

Alex Myer
    Kyle Gibson
    Kohl Stewart
    Jose Berrios
    Trevor May
    Ryan Eades
    Mason Melotakis
    Luke Bard
    JT Chargois
    Stephen Gonsalves
    Felix Jorge
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 282 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My list:

Alex Meyer
    Kohl Stewart
    Jose Berrios
    Kyle Gibson
    Trevor May
    Lewis Thorpe
    Stephen Gonsalves
    Ryan Eades
    Mason Melotakis
    DJ Baxendale
    Alex Wimmers
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My top 10 (12) Twins pitching prospects:

Stewart
    Meyers
    Berrios
    May
    Summers
    Duffy/Baxendale
    Melotakis
    Gonsalves/Thorpe
    Eades
    Jorge

I am not counting Gibson since he is on the 25 man roster. I am also not counting Albers because he might soon be on the 25 man roster. Would Albers fit in the top 15? I'm not sure, but I hope he gets promoted so we can see how he does against mlb hitters.

Is this a great list of prospects? No. Is it better than what the Twins have had for the last five years. Yes! If the Twins have, in June 2014, as they have had in the past two Junes, one of the top five draft picks in each round, then I would bet that they will take the best college starter available in round one to deepen the pool of potential #1/#2 starters in the system, and then I suspect that they would take high ceiling high school starters in rounds 2 and 3 to really flesh out their starting pitching depth. That would complement their position player depth. It is nice to see prospect starters at all levels of their minor league system now--Meyer and May, for example, will likely start next season at AAA (although it is also possible that one of them could break camp with the Twins for the 2014 season).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    What a sorry list! Only Albers is as high as AAA, and he sounds a lot like a white Bruce Chen-clone. Pheew! Meyers and May at AA--because the Twins PR machine has to agree with Ryan's trades--I sure hope they are correct, but my skepticism meter is flashing red. The rest are A-ball and lower--total hype for now.

There has been much back-and-forth in other threads blaming GM/not blaming GMs but let's face it the scouts, the cross-checkers, the whole personnel gang has been in place forever. If there is a group to blame it's them!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My completely poorly informed list goes like this:

Stewart
    Meyer
    Gibson
    Berrios
    Hendriks
    May
    Gonsalves
    Wimmers
    Thorpe
    Baxendale

So we have a sorry list of positional players in our minor league system too? Man shoot, Buxton is only at high a. Man shoot Sano and Rosario are only at AA. Man we have a sorry list. When will the twins ever win with all these good prospects low in the minors. We need to fire everyone because we have the number one minor in the game right now. Fire everyone now. If we don't we will continue to have a bright future with one of the best farm systems in the game. Fire them NOW.

Alex Myer
    Kohl Stewart
    Jose Berrios
    Trevor May
    Ryan Eades
    Mason Melotakis
    J.T. Chargois
    Lewis Thorpe
    Logan Darnell
    B.J. Hermsen

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My top 10 list.
    Gibson
    Albers
    Diamond
    Walters
    Hendriks
    Darnell
    Vasquez
    Worley
    DeVries
    Blackburn
    All our AAA/IR starters. lol

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Not sure what BA would say, but MLB.com says this: (go there and then click on top 20 by team, select the Twins and you will get the top 9 position players as well...)

1-11

Alex Myer
    Kyle Gibson
    Kohl Stewart
    Jose Berrios
    Trevor May
    Ryan Eades
    Mason Melotakis
    Luke Bard
    JT Chargois
    Stephen Gonsalves
    Felix Jorge
    good list but I think chargois is staying in the pen. Jorge could be flipped with either Rosario, landa or Thorpe. the one guy I like that you left out is duffey - he's got better stuff than most people realize and has shot at being a no.3.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaTwins View Post
    So we have a sorry list of positional players in our minor league system too? Man shoot, Buxton is only at high a. Man shoot Sano and Rosario are only at AA. Man we have a sorry list. When will the twins ever win with all these good prospects low in the minors. We need to fire everyone because we have the number one minor in the game right now. Fire everyone now. If we don't we will continue to have a bright future with one of the best farm systems in the game. Fire them NOW.
    I think your post is inadvertently hilarious.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    What a sorry list! Only Albers is as high as AAA, and he sounds a lot like a white Bruce Chen-clone. Pheew! Meyers and May at AA--because the Twins PR machine has to agree with Ryan's trades--I sure hope they are correct, but my skepticism meter is flashing red. The rest are A-ball and lower--total hype for now.

There has been much back-and-forth in other threads blaming GM/not blaming GMs but let's face it the scouts, the cross-checkers, the whole personnel gang has been in place forever. If there is a group to blame it's them!
    It's actually pretty middle of the pack if not slightly above average. Pretty rare for teams to have several arms at AA or AAA.

I would recommend taking a look at a few other farm systems for some context.

So Hermsen is no more. Albers came out of nowhere. DeVries is dead. And no one knows what to make of Logan Darnell.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 70 Times in 48 Posts
    Stewart
    Meyers
    Berrios
    May
    Eades
    Gonsalves
    Everyone else

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Stewart
    Meyer
    May
    Berrios
    Eades
    Jorge
    Thorpe
    Chargois
    Duffy
    Gonsalves
    Do or do not. There is no try.

so does landa's stuff not match up or what? His numbers look great, and from what I have heard he has pretty good velocity, so why is he not considered a top young are in the system?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    It's actually pretty middle of the pack if not slightly above average. Pretty rare for teams to have several arms at AA or AAA.

I would recommend taking a look at a few other farm systems for some context.
    Are they also at the bottom of BB in pitching? Everyone?

For me it would be:
    Alex Meyer
    Kohl Stewart
    Jose Berrios
    Kyle Gibson*
    Trevor May
    Alex Wimmer- yes I know, but I'm still optimistic
    Stephen Gonslaves
    Ryan Eades
    Flex Jorge
    Yorman Landa
    Randy Rosario
    Lewis Thorpe
    Mason Melotakis

throw in Bard and Chargios once they have pitched a little.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gibson (still counts)
    Meyer
    Berrios
    Stewart

May

Baxendale
    Duffey
    Eades
    Melotakis
    Wimmers

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfingers8 View Post
    so does landa's stuff not match up or what? His numbers look great, and from what I have heard he has pretty good velocity, so why is he not considered a top young are in the system?
    Hard to rate him right now. Need more scouting reports and results. Stewart is easy to rate right now because he was the number 4 pick in the draft and was highly scouted. His rating has more to do with ceiling than anything else right now. Full season ball is where prospects start to stick out from fillers.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast