Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Twins top ten starting pitching prospects

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 114 Times in 68 Posts
    Very interesting - I was recently made aware of the "Big 3" in E-town, and find little praise for them.

That's kind of what I thought but it still seems weird to me that Flex Jorge is getting some major attention and Landa is not. I do have to say that I am very excited about the potential Cedar Rapids rotation next year. i.e. Stewart, Gonslaves (if they play full season) Landa, Jorge, and Rosario.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    Very interesting - I was recently made aware of the "Big 3" in E-town, and find little praise for them.
    Lack of a track record, lack of reports. It easier for fans to keep track/ follow guys if they were aquired in big trades, were high bonus babies, or are on the cusp of the Majors. Beating up on guys in Appy doesnt get you a lot of love, Arica did it and most fans still didnt notice. If they were high draft picks they would be getting more attention then Gonslaves or most of the pitchers The Twins have in Low A right now.

I will throw my hat in also, with explanations, Gibson , will be a#2 or most likely a #3; Meyer, barring injury has a good shot at being a #2; May is probably a #4 or reliever longterm(nothing wrong with being a 4, especially compared to the #5 and #6's we have now. Berrios, just my opinion will not make it to the bigs, as a starter, he is great in the lower minors because he is advanced for his age, but not a lot of projection, as I heard someone else say, he is what he is. This years crop of pitchers I havnt formed an opinion yet, but looks promising, but then don't all new high draftees look promising.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 827 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would toss Gibson out. He's already pitched a bunch at the ML level and will not be eligible for any list this offseason. I'm leaving Albers off because to be fair, he isn't really a prospect. I am hoping he gets a shot and can prove himself, but I think at best he's more of a back of the rotation type guy. Also leaving off Worley. Here's my list:

1) Meyer - potential ace. Injury is the conern right now. ETA at some point next season.
    2) Stewart - potential ace. potential for 4 plus pitches. Doing what he should in GCL.
    3) May - gets the Ks, walk rate is dropping. Could still top out as a 1/2 type guy, but looking more like he'll be a 2/3. Not a bad pitcher. ETA next season some time.
    4) Berrios - potential #2
    5) Eades - potential #2. Could rise through the minors quickly.
    6) Thorpe - potential top ceiling guy, but still way too far away
    7) Gonclaves - potential top ceiling guy. Hard throwing lefty. Too far away, but doing his job in GCL.
    8) Darnell - potential #3. Struggling a bit in AAA after flat out dominating AA. Needs some time and will likely be in the rotation at some point next year. Delievered results at a high enough level that despite the lower ceiling, he belongs on this list.
    9) Bard - potential 2/3 type guy, but has been rehabbing an injury. This is a lost season for him. Could rise through the minors quickly next year if healthy.
    10) Melotakis. Potential 2/3 guy, but I think he's likely going to be a 3/4/5.

HM: Wimmers, Hendricks, Baxendale, Hu, Fernando Romero, Jorge, Rosario

Truth be told, this really isn't a bad list. I know pitching is considered the weakness of the system, but a lot of teams would be very happy with this group of pitchers. There are a number of high ceiling arms in there (and that includes several of the guys on the HM list), unfortunately most are pretty far away, and as high ceiling arms go, most will likely fail. There are 3 guys in the system who can all be above average pitchers who will likely see MLB action next season. I still think they need to add high ceiling arms, but Ryan and company have done a decent job shoring this one up.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    What a sorry list! Only Albers is as high as AAA, and he sounds a lot like a white Bruce Chen-clone. Pheew! Meyers and May at AA--because the Twins PR machine has to agree with Ryan's trades--I sure hope they are correct, but my skepticism meter is flashing red. The rest are A-ball and lower--total hype for now.

There has been much back-and-forth in other threads blaming GM/not blaming GMs but let's face it the scouts, the cross-checkers, the whole personnel gang has been in place forever. If there is a group to blame it's them!
    Wow. We have five better pitching prospects than we've had since Liriano and you call it a "sorry list", just because there are no AAA pitchers on it? Just wow.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfingers8 View Post
    That's kind of what I thought but it still seems weird to me that Flex Jorge is getting some major attention and Landa is not. I do have to say that I am very excited about the potential Cedar Rapids rotation next year. i.e. Stewart, Gonslaves (if they play full season) Landa, Jorge, and Rosario.
    Jorge is the classically projectable of the three. Rosario and landa are both six foot on a good day. I think you're up in arms over nothing - a couple people have included him at the bottom of their list.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    Top SP prospects: For my list the player has to currently be in the minors

1. Scott Diamond- Has shown ML success
    2. Nick Blackburn- See number 1
    3. Vance Worley
    (Big drop off)
    4. Stewart
    5. Meyer
    6. May
    7. Berrios
    8. Whimmers
    9. Shooter Hunt
    10. Alan Anderson

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 82 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Top SP prospects: For my list the player has to currently be in the minors

1. Scott Diamond- Has shown ML success
    2. Nick Blackburn- See number 1
    3. Vance Worley
    (Big drop off)
    4. Stewart
    5. Meyer
    6. May
    7. Berrios
    8. Whimmers
    9. Shooter Hunt
    10. Alan Anderson
    mckayladisappointed.jpg
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Liked 3,188 Times in 1,365 Posts
    Tinstaapp.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    You guys are much higher on Berrios than I am......and I am higher on Wimmers than many of you.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 49 Times in 32 Posts
    I think previous posters have pretty well covered the options. I will just say that I think one of the guys at Elizabethton or GCL (other than Stewart obviously) will become a very highly regarded prospect getting into the top 100 prospect conversation at some point. That said my guess is it won't be until after Cedar Rapids or Fort Meyer. Unless you're a big name international or draft pick it takes a while to get noticed.

If we separate our position players and pitching where do the Twin's prospects rank among other teams? Off the top of my head, position players are #1 by a large margin. Our pitching is somewhere between 10-15.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    I think the Twins pitching prospects rank higher than a lot of people give them credit for. Not many teams have a 1/2 of Stewart/Meyer. Even the depth has been improving lately.

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Twins starters, except for Duduno, have either been inconsistent or bad. This means that starting candidates are coming up and going straight into the rotation. In years past, a good AAA pitcher was brought up and put into the bullpen and given a chance to start when a rotation spot opened up. This was why Duensing got to be in the rotation to start 2012. He was a successful spot starter in 2011.
    Now, all the starter candidates in AAA (except Albers and Darnell) have been tried by the Twins and have not been successful. We dismiss them as prospects, yet these are the pitchers that will probably get another chance before Meyer, May or any of the rest of them.
    Just because we hold low expectations for them, does not mean that they are not prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    What a sorry list! Only Albers is as high as AAA, and he sounds a lot like a white Bruce Chen-clone. Pheew! Meyers and May at AA--because the Twins PR machine has to agree with Ryan's trades--I sure hope they are correct, but my skepticism meter is flashing red. The rest are A-ball and lower--total hype for now.

There has been much back-and-forth in other threads blaming GM/not blaming GMs but let's face it the scouts, the cross-checkers, the whole personnel gang has been in place forever. If there is a group to blame it's them!
    While I would have to agree the Twins should pay big money to recruit a couple guys that scout or develop talent for the Rays and As, our farm system is in great shape. I think you might have lost sight of the fact the Twins farm system is at the top of all of the programs in MLB. You need to find a new team to follow.
    Last edited by Major Leauge Ready; 08-03-2013 at 06:55 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I believe that the Twins have changed their scouting and even brought in new people a few years ago beginning with the new scouting director. It hasn't received a ton of attention, but various people have written about it here on this site and others. It seems that some of those changes are reflected in the influx of young talent in the orgaization. Of course some of the talent influx is a result of high draft choices and the supplemental choices of a couple of years ago, as well. As well as the increased spending in the international market.

It is easy to forget that scouting is a pretty inexact science. Trying to project what 16, 17, 18 year old kids are going to be like in a few years, is largely guesswork. Also nobody can project injuries, which largely wrecked several years worth of high pitching draft choices for the Twins.

While it easy to praise the A's, Rays and other orgaizations it well to remember that they have their down years drafting as well. Part of the reason they always seem to have a lot of good young players is that their budgets won't let them keep their good, established, expensive players; so they are always trading them for more prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    You guys are much higher on Berrios than I am......and I am higher on Wimmers than many of you.
    And that's what makes a market! And I agree on Wimmers

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I think the Twins pitching prospects rank higher than a lot of people give them credit for. Not many teams have a 1/2 of Stewart/Meyer. Even the depth has been improving lately.
    I would beg to differ. I'd say it's right in the middle of the pack in this regard. Some quick research shows that roughly half the organizations in baseball half a comparable, or better, 1/2 as Meyer/Stewart, rankings wise.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    I would beg to differ. I'd say it's right in the middle of the pack in this regard. Some quick research shows that roughly half the organizations in baseball half a comparable, or better, 1/2 as Meyer/Stewart, rankings wise.
    Half the teams in baseball have two pitchers in the top 30-40 prospects in baseball? I'm not very good at math but if you add in all the bats, in say the top 50, I don't see it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast