Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Twins top ten starting pitching prospects

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Half the teams in baseball have two pitchers in the top 30-40 prospects in baseball? I'm not very good at math but if you add in all the bats, in say the top 50, I don't see it.
    I'm going off Jonathan Mayo's rankings, in which case Meyer and Stewart are in the top 70. I wasn't aware that someone had them ranked both in the top 40. In that case you are probably correct.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    I'm going off Jonathan Mayo's rankings, in which case Meyer and Stewart are in the top 70. I wasn't aware that someone had them ranked both in the top 40. In that case you are probably correct.
    I forgot about Mayo's ranking so i guess we are both right (wrong?). Jim Callis and Law both had Stewart at 30. Callis has Meyers at 32 while Law has him at 38.

I might be biased but I just don't see many pairs I like better than Meyer/Stewart. Bundy/Gausman would be better if Bundy wasn't out for a year+. Cole/Tallion but Cole will lose his prospect status this year. Gray/Butler maybe. Skaggs and Hutlzen have taken a step back so their paring with Walker and Bradley isn't as impressive.

Senior Member All-Star
    I forgot about Mayo's ranking so i guess we are both right (wrong?). Jim Callis and Law both had Stewart at 30. Callis has Meyers at 32 while Law has him at 38.

I might be biased but I just don't see many pairs I like better than Meyer/Stewart. Bundy/Gausman would be better if Bundy wasn't out for a year+. Cole/Tallion but Cole will lose his prospect status this year. Gray/Butler maybe. Skaggs and Hutlzen have taken a step back so their paring with Walker and Bradley isn't as impressive.
    Wacha/Martinez don't even get a mention? That's the duo I'd take over all of them. (except Bundy/ Gausman, injury or no injury)
    I'd also take Wheeler/Syndergaard and Appel/McCullers over Meyer/Stewart.
    Surprised none of those duos get a mention.
    Last edited by Mr. Brooks; 08-03-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Leauge Ready View Post
    While I would have to agree the Twins should pay big money to recruit a couple guys that scout or develop talent for the Rays and As, our farm system is in great shape. I think you might have lost sight of the fact the Twins farm system is at the top of all of the programs in MLB. You need to find a new team to follow.
    No, I don't! The fact that the list is devoid of upper MiL talent is indicative of the failures of the previous decade. We all hope (me too!) that the newly drafted pitchers (6/12 and 6/13) all pan out. But, they won't be in the majors soon and definately not soon enough. I won't bother with the failure rate of pitching prospects because that's obviously way too negative for you--so I'll just assume (like the rest) that these new guys all succeed. But, there is ample evidence to conclude that it won't be in two years. That means two more years of the same guys. If you're Ok with that--well great! Enjoy.
    There will be BB in 2016 too and quite likely with a much better cast of characters than today.

Senior Member All-Star
    Wacha/Martinez don't even get a mention? That's the duo I'd take over all of them. (except Bundy/ Gausman, injury or no injury)
    I'm not as high on Wacha as most. Above average fastball, plus to plus-plus change up, but a average curve shouts mid rotation starter to me. His numbers have been good but I worry he won't be more than a #3 if his curve doesn't develop. I value upside.

Wheeler/Syndergaard combo I didn't consider because there is a good chance Wheeler will go over his rookie eligibility and won't be considered a prospect by the end of the year. If he doesn't than yeah, throw them in there.

As for Appel/McCullers I just don't see it being a better combo. Call it a personal preference. McCullers's mechanics and lack of a third pitch scares me.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 165 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looking at these names, I'll admit, I'm happier than I thought I would be with these lists. While it's true there isn't much help on the immediate horizon, it looks like I can expect a couple of fairly promising arms every year from 2015-2018. That's encouraging.

Senior Member All-Star
    I'm not as high on Wacha as most. Above average fastball, plus to plus-plus change up, but a average curve shouts mid rotation starter to me. His numbers have been good but I worry he won't be more than a #3 if his curve doesn't develop. I value upside.

Wheeler/Syndergaard combo I didn't consider because there is a good chance Wheeler will go over his rookie eligibility and won't be considered a prospect by the end of the year. If he doesn't than yeah, throw them in there.

As for Appel/McCullers I just don't see it being a better combo. Call it a personal preference. McCullers's mechanics and lack of a third pitch scares me.
    Johan Santana became the best pitcher in baseball for half a decade with that combo.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    You still aren't close to half and that is including guys in the majors.

Cole/Taillon - one is not a prospect
    Bundy/Gausman - I don't care if bundy is injured - he's good
    Gray/Butler - Butler is closer to Berrios imo
    Bradley/Skaggs
    Walker/Hultzen
    Wacha/Martinez
    Wheeler/Syndergaard - one is not a prospect
    Appel/McCullers - mcculllers is again closer to Berrios imo
    Barnes/Ball - one more to help you

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    Would you rather have Appel and ummmm, or Meyer and Gibson? I'd trade them both for Appel right now, I'd trade any two pitchers for Appel right now....All said, I think I like Pitt or Sea combos the best.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Would you rather have Appel and ummmm, or Meyer and Gibson? I'd trade them both for Appel right now, I'd trade any two pitchers for Appel right now....All said, I think I like Pitt or Sea combos the best.
    I would take Stewart and Meyer over Appel and nobody.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 82 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You all seem pretty cavalier about Meyer's arm injury. Shoulder problems are bad, and he hasn't pitched for 2 months. I'm pretty worried about his future right now.

Side note, we are still likely a month away from learning of a torn ligament needing surgery in his shoulder. If that happens I swear I will lose it. I'll ask Brock for a week ban just so I don't consistently freak out and swear every other word.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    You all seem pretty cavalier about Meyer's arm injury. Shoulder problems are bad, and he hasn't pitched for 2 months. I'm pretty worried about his future right now.

Side note, we are still likely a month away from learning of a torn ligament needing surgery in his shoulder. If that happens I swear I will lose it. I'll ask Brock for a week ban just so I don't consistently freak out and swear every other word.
    Torn ligament in the shoulder. That does sound horrible.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    Again, I am with the blue guy, and that's why I'd rather have Appel and random prospect than Stewart and Meyer right now. If Meyer was healthy, I would probably answer differently.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Johan Santana became the best pitcher in baseball for half a decade with that combo.
    Just to split hairs, Johan's slider was a very good pitch for him back in the day.

And I don't believe a changeup gets you as far as it used to, now that teams have learned to reverse-platoon in order to neuter it when guys can't offer a very good 3rd selection.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Just to split hairs, Johan's slider was a very good pitch for him back in the day.

And I don't believe a changeup gets you as far as it used to, now that teams have learned to reverse-platoon in order to neuter it when guys can't offer a very good 3rd selection.
    Also Santana had basically plus plus command of all his pitches. This is about as informative as all the Greg Maddux comps we hear.

Senior Member All-Star
    You can point to random exceptions all you want but the reality is that combo rarely gives you more than a #2. Heck, that comparison doesn't even fit. Last time I checked Santana was a lefty while Wacha is a righty, you know, unless the Cards taught him to throw with his other hand.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123