Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (8/5): Dean Dazzles

Nice to see Buxton back in the lineup.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great write-up. In particular, I like the next day's pitching matchup.

Walker is having a great season.

I was at the Red Wings game last night in Durham. A nice pitching performance by Dean. Of two hits, the first one he gave up was a bunt single. Nothing hit too hard againts him.

Willingham, despite going 0-3, did hit a ball very hard to the gap in left-center that was run down. Parmalee looked good in his at-bats. Hicks looked completely lost last night. I also though Pinto had good at-bats last night.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if it's just the long season wearing on young guys who have never had to play 140 games before or the fact that they've already got a playoff spot nailed down and they just aren't as motivated as their opponents, but the Kernels have just been flat for several games now.

Last night, in the top of the ninth, QC had runners at the corners and 1 out and Gilbert got himself a picture-perfect DP ball to end the inning. But Goodrum and Polanco both appeared to lose track of the outs. Goodrum just flipped the ball to Polanco at 2nd for the force and they both started jogging toward the dugout as the run scored.

Not exactly the kind of thing you want guys doing 2 days after a closed-door meeting or with the organization's GM sitting behind home plate taking notes.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Time to stop switch hitting yet? I think I'll just put that in my sig, so I don't have to type it.

Nice start for Dean. On the steals, you often wonder if it is an issue with the other team, especially in the minors.

Loved the Butera line, thx for the grin.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Walkers pushing the 25+ HR and 100+ RBI statline. Most of that came after Buxton left for Ft. Myers too. Where would that put him in terms of prospect rankings for you @ the end of 2013?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    This team is built to win and only knows winning from its time in the minor leagues (Appy and Beloit). The key is going to be how do they handle failure if they start to lose? What is their mental toughness when / if they start losing? I believe they handle itlike the winners that they are and bounce right back.
    I wrote this in a Twins Daily forum on April 4th. Don't make me into a liar Kernels. Time to get that SWAGGER back.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree Buxton is the guy. He won't be a player to watch because everybody will already be watching him. I hope people don't put to many expectations on the kid and allow him to grow into his 5 tool potential. He like all prospects, are a work in progress. One of my points was that while everyone is watching Buxton do his thing - watch the ABW stat line sneak up on ya.
    I wrote this on April 2nd. I'm just saying........................

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 326 Times in 216 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Time to stop switch hitting yet? I think I'll just put that in my sig, so I don't have to type it.

Nice start for Dean. On the steals, you often wonder if it is an issue with the other team, especially in the minors.

Loved the Butera line, thx for the grin.
    Do you have the link for the Butera mirthful muse? I missed it.

I don't think enough has been made of the bitter irony of the Twins starting outfield now starting for Rochester, instead. I wonder how many times that has ever happened to a major league club in the same season?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Could Pinto make Doumit expendable during the off season?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Do you have the link for the Butera mirthful muse? I missed it.

I don't think enough has been made of the bitter irony of the Twins starting outfield now starting for Rochester, instead. I wonder how many times that has ever happened to a major league club in the same season?
    Not to mention Diamond and Worley (and Hendriks to a lesser extent).
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Let's talk about stealing bases in the minor leagues. What's the big deal? If I'm coaching at 1st or 3rd, every guy faster than a turtle has the green light to steal, especially if I'm yelling "steal!" at them and trying to kick them in the butt.

What's the point of even being in the minors if guys don't push their limits. Every fast player should be stealing, period. I don't care if they get thrown out...IT'S THE MINOR LEAGUES. They aren't there to learn how to be conservative, they're there to learn how to read a pitcher's move, how to get the longest static lead possible, how to do three skips on every pitch, how to explode towards that next base, how to peek left on the third step, how to read the fielder's body language so they can adjust their slide to avoid the tag.

Okay, maybe I do care if they get thrown out...at least I'll say so to keep my job. But however on the other hand, as a coach you're supposed to teach baseball players a thousand different ways to apply pressure to their opponent. You have to think of everything you do out there like it's a part of your offense. The better you are at seeing weaknesses in the other team, the more you can exploit them and win.

It's like fencing: If you're afraid of getting stabbed, gouged, slashed or impaled, then you should try some other sport. Same with baseball. Don't pick up a bat if you're scared to whack the mascot. Well, maybe that's a little out there, but some of those guys have padding.

BTW, I've got a rule change for the minor leagues. How about each team's manager gets 3 "do overs" per game, to be defined before the game with the other manager. Suppose you want Eddie Rosario to work on stealing second, and he blows the first attempt (late break for 2nd) because he sucks at reading the pitcher. "Do Over!" Make him do it again, same count, back to first base. Although somewhat humiliating, this might provide a serious teaching moment to guys that need work on a particular aspect of their game. I'd make him steal again on the next pitch, but then, I am a bastard.
    Last edited by jimbo92107; 08-06-2013 at 11:31 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 202 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Regarding Pat Dean: I saw him pitch on 7/11 when he shut out the Trenton Thunder over 7 2/3 innings, while giving up 6 hits. Dean was lucky. There were several line-outs, and finesse plays behind him. You mention that he leads the Eastern League in hits allowed... Sounds like a minor league version of Carl Pavano or Carlos Silva. I hope Mr. Dean develops one more pitch that helps him to miss bats. By the way, he's super nice guy. My boys (eight and ten) got his autograph and he posed for a picture with them after the game. I wish him the very best.