Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Baseball America releases 2013 Best Tools list

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    For example, in Sunday's intrasquad game, Santana, playing shortstop, made an extraordinary backhanded, sprawling stab on a bad-hop ball, then short-hopped first baseman Drew Butera, who was unable to come up with the scoop.
    "He made a fantastic catch, and then he didn't finish," Ryan said. "And those are some of the things we need to iron out."
    I think this quote from the linked article says everything you need to know about how someone with 27 errors could be a great fielding prospect. If, as suggested, he learns how to 'finish' he becomes an excellent fielding MLB shortstop and if he doesn't he kicks around between AAA and the bigs for the next half-dozen years.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by E. Andrew View Post
    There was a few days during spring training when Danny Santana was the hot topic. Granted, most of the big names had or were about to leave for the WBC, but at the time I remember hearing reports that he was the most athletic shortstop in the org. I thought I remember more articles, but here's the only I could find from spring:

Danny Santana is 'a legitimate shortstop candidate for the future' - Minnesota Twins news | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Twins
    I wonder how Niko Goodrum stacks up next to him. Everything I've read says he is extremely athletic as well.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    I think this quote from the linked article says everything you need to know about how someone with 27 errors could be a great fielding prospect. If, as suggested, he learns how to 'finish' he becomes an excellent fielding MLB shortstop and if he doesn't he kicks around between AAA and the bigs for the next half-dozen years.
    Florimon was an error waiting to happen in the minors, about one every 4 games, he's turned into a darn good defensive shortstop.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Hard decisions in the future

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I think Jake Mauer is and should be considered a potential manager, and Joe's spot on the roster has nothing to do with that, good or bad.
    You really think they're going to have Jake Mauer tell Joe he's moving off catcher? How about when it's time to tell Joe he has to be a bench player?

I can see Jake joining the major league coaching staff but he'll need to spend some time in the high minors first (AA opening soon?).

Went to the full list at the link provided and was agreeing with almost everything until I got to Best Manager. #1 Jim Leyland? and Joe Maddon of the Rays isn't even on the list. This is so wrong.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dozier and Florimon got no love as best defensive choices.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12