Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article: The Miguel Sano Quandry

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 326 Times in 216 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Oh, as for plunking hitters, that's worse than PEDs....you are trying to hurt someone else. The commissioner should be cracking down on that.
    Given that this type of enforcement of "unwritten rules" has been going on since the Reds were still called the Red Stockings, I doubt Selig will do much more policing on the issue than what's already in place.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hicks wasn't supposed to be up at the beginning of this season as of last September. it took a perceived overpay for Revere to make this a possibility. He was supposed to start in the minors then after the trade the Twins got the idea that he could start in the majors then his spring did nothing to disprove that.

If Sano gets called up in September I don't think that necessarily starts his clock per se as much as it takes a 40 man roster spot away unnecessarily during the offseason when 40 man roster spots are at a premium for protecting talent and having the ability to sign FA. Otherwise I have no problem bringing up Sano. I do like reinforcing the winning concept however by brining him and Rosario to AAA if spots can be found. Even for the last few weeks to DH PH and spot start in the field if need be then play some in the play offs.

We are all in need of something interesting to watch. Having said this, Hicks and Arcia should be good reminders of why we should not rush players. Two levels in one year is enough. Promote him to AAA the start of next year and call him up in June or July if he is dominating at AAA.

Ahhh, yes, let's repeat the Hicks mistake as soon as possible. The kid's 20. Let him go rip up the IL next spring. It's not as if the Twins will contend in 2014.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 48 Times in 25 Posts
    I go back and forth on this too. I don't think that giving him a September callup guarantees his spot on the majors next year (see: Benson, Joe) but it may help to get him acclimated. I do think he'll be doing well enough next year to hear some cries of "forcing the issue" by July at the latest, and at that point it would be nice if going to the majors wasn't a complete shock.

On the other hand, he doesn't need to be on the 40 man, and there are a couple question marks as far as young guys who need or may this year need spots on the 40 man. This may be overstated, as we know what we have in guys like Bernier or Thomas, but bad teams can't afford to be cavalier with roster spots. Similarly, if we look at his position, I doubt we can honestly say that replacing Plouffe at third base is a top priority for the team. No Plouffe isn't a future hall of famer, but I don't think we need to rush Sano for lack of a good option. The situation with Hicks was quite different.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nothing will be learned in a September call up. It isn't enough time. The only purposes served would be my selfish interest in seeing him play and the managements interest in selling tickets.

A better use of September is the International League playoffs that begin September 4 and continue for up to two weeks. Let him get that experience. Perhaps moving he and Rosario soon to help Rochester get to the playoffs.

Give him 10 more weeks in AAA next year and allow him to dominate that level. If that happens, call him up June 15 and allow him to work through his struggles at the major league level with the knowledge that he has dominated the levels below.

This is not about service time or super 2. I think this plan decreases the chance that he will need to move back and forth between the majors and the minors.

I'm gonna pick a few nits here...."Quandry" should be "Quandary" and...
    2. Miguel Sano is not dominating AA. Let's not talk about this as if he's tearing the cover off the ball.
    Is shortly followed by
    In short, this is a great dilemma. Again, Miguel Sano is 20 years old. And tearing the cover off the ball.
    I'm confused, is he actually tearing the cover off the ball, or not?

As to the gist of the article, I'd make him earn his way up the ladder and wait until next year. The commenters throwing out his first 2 weeks of AA ball are then relying on a very small statistical sample at this level. Sure, he has hit well at the lower levels, but give him a chance to learn how to adjust at the AA level after the opposing coaches and pitchers have familiarized themselves with Sano's hitting tendencies.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Truth be told.... with Twins management confirming that Sano's defense is no longer an issue, Sano has little left to improve upon facing minor league pitchers.
    Truncated for brevity. I agree... And disagree.

Honestly, I think the best thing for Sano might be a short trip to AAA to let him face more wily AAAA guys. Sure, AA has talent, but AAA is littered with guys who are older, have played on an MLB roster, and are craftier.

If Sano can continue posting an OPS over .900 against those guys, I don't care about the strikeouts. The BA doesn't matter one lick for the reasons Jokin posted... Miguel is simply getting unlucky. It happens. The only concern should be whether he will swing and miss too many balls against MLB pitchers and the best way to figure that out is to let him taste AAA pitching for a few weeks.

On the other hand, I have no problems with him starting 2014 in AAA to extend his service time, either. I'm a patient man. He'll be here soon enough.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
    Oh, as for plunking hitters, that's worse than PEDs....you are trying to hurt someone else.
    No you aren't As long as you aren't hit in the wrist, face, head, ankle, elbow, balls, etc you will be fine getting hit

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Ahhh, yes, let's repeat the Hicks mistake as soon as possible. The kid's 20. Let him go rip up the IL next spring. It's not as if the Twins will contend in 2014.
    TS Eliot.

*hangs up phone*

Quote Originally Posted by gobirds View Post
    I'm gonna pick a few nits here...."Quandry" should be "Quandary" and...
    2. Miguel Sano is not dominating AA. Let's not talk about this as if he's tearing the cover off the ball.
    Is shortly followed by
    In short, this is a great dilemma. Again, Miguel Sano is 20 years old. And tearing the cover off the ball.
    I'm confused, is he actually tearing the cover off the ball, or not?

As to the gist of the article, I'd make him earn his way up the ladder and wait until next year. The commenters throwing out his first 2 weeks of AA ball are then relying on a very small statistical sample at this level. Sure, he has hit well at the lower levels, but give him a chance to learn how to adjust at the AA level after the opposing coaches and pitchers have familiarized themselves with Sano's hitting tendencies.
    Thanks for the spelling catch!
    The last paragraph of the article was my opinion that Sano is tearing the cover off the ball. The preceding reference was in the reasons not to call him up. A .243 average, to some, would suggest he's not hitting that well.

So, it's really up for discussion whether his lower batting average, coupled with good power #s, are good enough.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Let's not be aggressive, like with Trout or Machado.....let's just wait, and then wait some more, and then wait again.....40 man roster spots? This is one of the 5 worst teams in MLB, and they have bad MiL relievers on the 40 man....there are not roster spot issues.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nice info.

I think one possibly overlooked clue on the call-up is that spring game against the Yankees on ESPN, bringing him on to the team for one night. It seemed like an irregular move for the org, and I think it hints at how much they know that the attention is building. That said, I think they've been level-headed in keeping him at pace with Rosario (or the other way around). It was 'preferential' enough (I thought) to feature him on ESPN. I would hope they'd give Rosario nearly the same treatment they give Sano.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sept callups are overrated. It would have made minimal difference for Hicks if even that.

A promotion for the AAA playoffs could be beneficial in actually playing for something instead of this current death march.

A Sano Sept callup would br almost entirely to hold on to some interest and build optimism for next year. If he scuffles badly it would be counterproductive for him and the franchise. I like the suggestion of waiting for a new manager and fresh start.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Let's not be aggressive, like with Trout or Machado.....let's just wait, and then wait some more, and then wait again.....40 man roster spots? This is one of the 5 worst teams in MLB, and they have bad MiL relievers on the 40 man....there are not roster spot issues.
    Hicks?

Senior Member All-Star
    My point is, Anecdotes (sp?) are not proof of anything.....Hicks does not PROVE Sano should stay down, anymore than Trout proves he should not. He should be up just before he's fully ready, imo.
    Lighten up Francis....

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 304 Times in 180 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't see any benefit at all to a September call up for Sano.

1) He's not dominating AA. He got off to a horrific start and has been hot his last 10 games or so. There's SSS issues on both sides right now, and just promoting him to AAA doesn't make a ton of sense.

2) He does not need to be on the 40 man at the end of the year. If he's added this year and opens next year in the minors, one of his options just got wasted.

3) He's likely (assuming he hits well in NB the rest of the year) going to open in Rochester. I'm fine with that. No reason to rush him as I think you can argue that he still has things to learn in the minors. Let him prove he's ready before he's added to the 40 man.

Senior Member All-Star
    Options? You expect Sano to have to go up and down a lot? Y'all have way different expectations of him than I do.....

How would he prove it? Machado proved nothing, in terms of numbers. What would be your success measure?
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I don't see any benefit at all to a September call up for Sano.

1) He's not dominating AA. He got off to a horrific start and has been hot his last 10 games or so.
    I don't know if he should be promoted or not, but this is incorrect.

As Jokin' said earlier in this thread....

...if Sano qualified among the Eastern League statistical leaders, his SLG of .559 would lead the League. His OPS of .914 would be 3rd in the League.

I don't know how that isn't dominating a league.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Options? You expect Sano to have to go up and down a lot? Y'all have way different expectations of him than I do.....

How would he prove it? Machado proved nothing, in terms of numbers. What would be your success measure?
    Sano and Machado are really hard to compare. Different types of players and franchises in much different positions. Baltimore desperately needed a 3b for a playoff push while the Twins are in a position to be patient developmentally.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast