Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article: The Miguel Sano Quandry

Sano needs to be down long enough for next year's Triple A all-star game. THEN call him up

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    If he's ready, he should come up, I don't care about options, or super 2, or anything. When he's deemed ready, he should be up. I think he's ready next spring.
    Lighten up Francis....

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UCLA_YANKEE_COLA View Post
    I don't know if he should be promoted or not, but this is incorrect.

As Jokin' said earlier in this thread....

...if Sano qualified among the Eastern League statistical leaders, his SLG of .559 would lead the League. His OPS of .914 would be 3rd in the League.

I don't know how that isn't dominating a league.
    He's also striking out a ton and hitting below .250. Sorry, that's not domination.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 31 Times in 16 Posts
    This is just theoretical non-sense. He's not getting called up in September as he doesn't even have to be added to the 40 man roster yet. The Twins need all those spots to help improve this dismal team. Plus, there is no reason to call the guy up until he is ready to contribute at the major league level. As we've seen from Hicks, just because we are all impatient and want to see the kids at the major league level now doesn't mean it is the right thing to do for their development. If he finishes well at AA, start him in Rochester next spring and see how it goes. And yes, service time does matter - he is likely to make big money someday along with several of his teammates. Every year you can have him under team control is valuable and shouldn't be wasted by playing guys who aren't ready, ala Hicks this year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    So if he's ready in teh spring, don't reward your season ticket holders with his presence? that's your stance.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    So if he's ready in teh spring, don't reward your season ticket holders with his presence? that's your stance.
    Doing things ptimarily to reward season ticket holders is surefire way to get into trouble. They should call him up if he is ready because he is a beast and will help the team win.

Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    He's also striking out a ton and hitting below .250. Sorry, that's not domination.
    Who cares? Those are two really dumb ways to judge a hitter. His OPS is .914. You don't have to think that's dominant but that's dominant.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    There is no way to know if he is ready in the spring. He will not see near enough season ready quality major league pitching in the spring. Spring stats and even September call up stats have absolutely no value for projecting or assessing readiness.

You reward your season ticket holders by developing Sano into a very good player over several seasons.

As for AA, his strikeout rate has not gone up and has stayed around the 25% level as he has moved up the ladder. That is encouraging. Let's see that trend continue for 10 weeks in AAA next year.

Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The less time he spends around Jeff Smith, the better. Why Jeff Smith is even managing at all is a mystery to me.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Who cares? Those are two really dumb ways to judge a hitter. His OPS is .914. You don't have to think that's dominant but that's dominant.
    It takes a sample of around 500 plate appearances for OPS to become reliable for use in assessing a player. It is dependent on so many other factors. Strike out rate, on the other hand, stabilizes at 150 plate appearances. Sano has 172 plate appearances in AA. His strike out rate has remained at the same level as he has moved up to AA. That is a good sign that we should care about.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Promotion to AAA...

The Twins organization should probably keep in mind, when considering a promotion to AAA for Sano & Rosario, that D. Romero and J. Beresford have had a hand in the good season the Red Wings are having. This gets sticky, I would guess.

I don't mean that they should block the advancement of superior players, but there is a lot for management to considered.

Also, I appreciate the data jokin posted and agree that it is relevant, but I lean more heavily toward Brock's points.

AAA has pitchers who are better and smarter, many with MLB experience. Sano should go hang out there before appearing at Target Field.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No they aren't. Especially when major league pitchers are far more proficient in putting pitchers where hitters cannot hit them. As I said in my first post, he was very cold when he first got there and has been pretty hot for about 2 weeks. SSS could be affecting both sides. He needs more time in AA. No reason to give him a call up.

I think there's a decent argument to be had between s promotion to MLB vs. AAA in September. I fall on the aggressive side, and and say go big. It doesn't determine next April, and the team better not be preoccupied with counting options with an elite prospect.

Which leads me to Hicks. I wish people would stop comparing Sano (or Buxton for that matter) to Hicks. Hicks' MLB career is not a warning sign for other MiLB prospects, Hicks' MiLB career was a warning sign for Hicks' MLB career.

Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    This is just theoretical non-sense. He's not getting called up in September as he doesn't even have to be added to the 40 man roster yet. The Twins need all those spots to help improve this dismal team. Plus, there is no reason to call the guy up until he is ready to contribute at the major league level. As we've seen from Hicks, just because we are all impatient and want to see the kids at the major league level now doesn't mean it is the right thing to do for their development. If he finishes well at AA, start him in Rochester next spring and see how it goes. And yes, service time does matter - he is likely to make big money someday along with several of his teammates. Every year you can have him under team control is valuable and shouldn't be wasted by playing guys who aren't ready, ala Hicks this year.
    I'm not so sure this is "theoretical nonsense." And I'm pretty sure that if August becomes September, if Sano has increased the batting average somewhat, played solid defense, and put up solid power #s, the Twins' front office will be having these same discussions. In fact these conversations are probably taking place now.

It's theoretical in the sense that things need to happen in order for Sano to deserve a promotion. But about 2/3 of the posts on this website are about hypothetical scenarios. I guess that's the product of your team losing 90+ games for 3 seasons.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

Senior Member Double-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Fan From Afar View Post
    I'm not so sure this is "theoretical nonsense." And I'm pretty sure that if August becomes September, if Sano has increased the batting average somewhat, played solid defense, and put up solid power #s, the Twins' front office will be having these same discussions. In fact these conversations are probably taking place now.

It's theoretical in the sense that things need to happen in order for Sano to deserve a promotion. But about 2/3 of the posts on this website are about hypothetical scenarios. I guess that's the product of your team losing 90+ games for 3 seasons.
    It's theoretical non-sense in that there is zero chance he gets called up in September. They are not going to add him to the 40 man when it is not necessary, nor should they unless he is ready to be a productive MLB player. Terry Ryan has already stated this on his radio program. Its simply not happening.

Senior Member Double-A
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterGroove View Post
    I think there's a decent argument to be had between s promotion to MLB vs. AAA in September. I fall on the aggressive side, and and say go big. It doesn't determine next April, and the team better not be preoccupied with counting options with an elite prospect.

Which leads me to Hicks. I wish people would stop comparing Sano (or Buxton for that matter) to Hicks. Hicks' MLB career is not a warning sign for other MiLB prospects, Hicks' MiLB career was a warning sign for Hicks' MLB career.
    Nobody is comparing Hicks and Sano as prospects. Its apples and oranges in ability and in age. The point is that bringing somebody to the majors when they are not ready is not good for their development, regardless of how you rate them as a prospect. Sano is not ready; hopefully he will be sometime next year or so which will be an extremely fast track for him to the majors.

Senior Member Double-A troyhobbs's Avatar
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    He may not be ready but the arguments that a Sept call up would hurt his development are hard to understand. If he doesn't get called up his season is done, if he is called up he gets to play baseball every day surrounded by big league coaching and players. I would imagine that is good for development.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 614 Times in 329 Posts
    I just don't get this hurting development argument, the guy is not going to be fundamentally damaged even if he sucks wind in September, c'mon. If that's the worry then I guess Hicks is completely screwed after 2/3rds a season of suckitude.

Besides, I'm coming for games on September, I want to see the big fella, throw us a bone.

Senior Member Double-A
    Quote Originally Posted by troyhobbs View Post
    He may not be ready but the arguments that a Sept call up would hurt his development are hard to understand. If he doesn't get called up his season is done, if he is called up he gets to play baseball every day surrounded by big league coaching and players. I would imagine that is good for development.
    Its not just about him. The 40 man roster spot is a big deal when you need to patch many holes. Besides, he can go to the Arizona Fall League or winter ball if he needs more playing time.

Senior Member Double-A troyhobbs's Avatar
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    Its not just about him. The 40 man roster spot is a big deal when you need to patch many holes. Besides, he can go to the Arizona Fall League or winter ball if he needs more playing time.
    Why is the 40 man spot a big deal? If there's one thing this roster has it's players that are expendable. Anyway, I realize he's not going to get called up, I'd just really like it if he did so there was a reason to watch baseball this fall.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast