Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Willingham proving the Twins hired the right muscle

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Willingham proving the Twins hired the right muscle

'Ham's jarring display of power has been a breath of fresh air. Keep 'em coming, 'Ham!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll try to remember the Power L when I'm coaching kid ball this summer. I wonder if that would improve my forehand...

Wake me up when the runs he creates minus the runs he gives up makes him at least average. Delmon Young's best year was bad because of this, and Willingham seems no better in the field, though he's likely to at least hit every year like Young's best.

Nice to see the Twins have one player not afraid of Target Field. The M & M boyz just make excuses.

Liked 1,188 Times in 693 Posts
    As always, thanks for the analysis, Parker. As they develop and you can get enough info and video, I'd be interested in your thoughts on how some of the Twins minor leaguers would fare at TF. It'll be interesting to see how they craft this team over the next few years to take advantage of the park's idiosycracies.

Great stuff.

Sorry to stickle, but I've seen Jered Weaver's name misspelled on this site in multiple articles.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 483 Times in 317 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For all of the impressive HRs Willingham has hit, I was most impressed with his HR yesterday. He didn't "get it all" but he managed to pull the ball with just enough to get it over the fence. The Twins need to learn how to use their park and Willingham might hit a lot of 350 ft. homers as compared to hitting 390 ft. "cans of corn" to center and the allies.

*wakes up twinstalker*

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 96 Posts
    For years the Twins had favored gap-to-gap type hitters because that approach played well at the Metrodome. Cuddyer and Kubel were two of the most vocal in their dislike for hitting at Target Field, but with them gone, the Twins can refocus on hitters that play well at the new park.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    I agree Boom Boom. Even though Target Field is dimensionally similar to the Metrodome, it doesn't play the same. That was one of the main reasons that the let Kubel and Cuddyer go and replaced them with Willingham and Doumit. They have to start molding their team to suit the stadium.

the twins need to keep getting guys like Willing hammer!
    look at some of the guys who have killed the Twins @ target field.
    Aggressive, Hard pull hitters....several Blue Jays come to mind....there was actually an article about it
    http://www.bluejayhunter.com/2011/05...jays-kill.html

Doesn't roll off the tongue like "The House that Ruth Built", but how about we christian Target Field "The House that Willingham Moved Into and Found To Be To His Liking".

Concrete has dried....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was at the game yesterday. Things looked bleak, Liriano was awful. Then, WHO WERE THOSE GUYS?! I knew they could hit, but when was the last time the Twins hit three home runs in one game, and at Target Field. I thought I was dreaming, and I didn't want to wake up. Willingham is so impressive. Everytime he comes up you just believe he is going to make something happen. GREAT ACQUISITION. His fielding will also improve I think (I hope).

Now that the Twins have started to hit a bit, maybe this comment is off-target. However, I think it is worthy to note what Jason Kubel is doing in Arizona. While a member of the Twins, Kubel always showed "promise" but never really lived up to his potential, eventually being moved to the dbacks. That said, yesterday AZ Head Coach Gibson moved Kubel into the #2 spot because he believed Jason was "pressing" and by placing him in the 2 hole he would see better pitches and gain some confidence. Is it crazy to think that some of the poor production seen out of the Twins line-up in recent games even dating back to last season is simply because Gardy doesn't tinker with line-ups in this manner? I am a huge Gardy fan, but thought the production seen out of Kubel this year (specifically the last 2 games after an awful start) was noteworthy.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Josh hasn't proved anything yet and Gardy has his pets!

Quote Originally Posted by headcheese View Post
    *wakes up twinstalker*
    He's super bad in the outfield. Just because we've had "super bad" in left for the last few years doesn't mean it's okay. At least Young could throw. I'm glad he's hitting well so far, but unless he's the DH, he's nothing to celebrate. The Twins can't afford to have bad fielders...and they shouldn't ever have to, if they're doing things right.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinstalker View Post
    He's super bad in the outfield. Just because we've had "super bad" in left for the last few years doesn't mean it's okay. At least Young could throw. I'm glad he's hitting well so far, but unless he's the DH, he's nothing to celebrate. The Twins can't afford to have bad fielders...and they shouldn't ever have to, if they're doing things right.
    Are you a Twins Talker or a Twin Stalker?