Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Baseball America releases 2013 Best Tools list

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Danny Santana as best defensive SS in AA?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Before this season started I was really thinking the Twins should be ready to compete as early as 2014. As this season has gone on I think its going to be a ways longer. The biggest weakness of the organization is still pitching even after the additions last offseason. At the same time if the position players continue to progress well they could just concentrate on free agent pitchers or unfortunately trade some position players for them.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd take those with a huge grain of salt and primarily for entertainment purpose, & especially since Buxton did not make the fastest base runner in his league...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    Well, I wouldn't be surprised if more than a few teams didn't get skunked on this list. Maybe this will help the Twins deal Carroll: one of the best hit and run artists in the game, and he can pitch too!

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 808 Times in 509 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I'd take those with a huge grain of salt and primarily for entertainment purpose, & especially since Buxton did not make the fastest base runner in his league...
    He did in Hi A... not in low A... interesting.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    How is Double A considered "Low in the system?"

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    How is Danny Santana the best defensive SS?

Senior Member Double-A troyhobbs's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tjsyam921 View Post
    Before this season started I was really thinking the Twins should be ready to compete as early as 2014. As this season has gone on I think its going to be a ways longer. The biggest weakness of the organization is still pitching even after the additions last offseason. At the same time if the position players continue to progress well they could just concentrate on free agent pitchers or unfortunately trade some position players for them.
    I also thought the Twins could be competitive by 2014 but watching this team and seeing highly touted prospects like Hicks and Gibson struggle (Arcia has been decent for a 22 yr old rookie) is a reality check and it seems more likely that Joe Mauer is going to be washed up before the Twins make the playoffs again. Good to see Jake Mauer getting props for his managing skills though, another good option to replace Gardy with along with Molitor.

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How is Double A considered "Low in the system?"
    Better phrasing would have been, "ready to step in next year".

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B Richard View Post
    Maybe they consider things other than errors.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    I understand that errors are often not the best way to judge fielding ability, but 27 of them amidst questions about his defensive prowess are enough to make me seriously question his honors.

Great to see our top prospects succeeding, however.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts

Jake Mauer will not manage the Twins any time soon

Quote Originally Posted by troyhobbs View Post
    Good to see Jake Mauer getting props for his managing skills though, another good option to replace Gardy with along with Molitor.
    I can't see Jake Mauer as the manager as long as Joe Mauer is on the team.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 58 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Next year it looks like the next wave of players will be making debuts and getting their feet wet in the majors while this years rookies get to build off of this year and 2015 will have a few more rookies moving up with the others continuing to grow and either in 2015 or 2016 the Twins will be competitive again assuming we are waiting for a bunch of prospects to come up and not banking on trades or FA signings for a competitive swing for 2014.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 808 Times in 509 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I understand that errors are often not the best way to judge fielding ability, but 27 of them amidst questions about his defensive prowess are enough to make me seriously question his honors.

Great to see our top prospects succeeding, however.
    I'm not trying to compare the two, but Jose Reyes had tons of errors when he came up too. Part of that was rushing, and part of that was that he had a greater range and was getting to more things that others couldn't get to... Not sure if that's Santana's problem or not, but worth thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by DJL44 View Post
    I can't see Jake Mauer as the manager as long as Joe Mauer is on the team.
    Why not? This isn't high school baseball. Joe is in the lineup everyday anyway.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Jake Mauer is and should be considered a potential manager, and Joe's spot on the roster has nothing to do with that, good or bad. The guy knows baseball, inside and out. As important, he gets people. He brings people together. He is very smart. He's got the personality and temperament necessary. he's impressive.

I can see him doing like TK and Gardy though, starting out as the 3B coach in the next couple of years before taking over.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 377 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I think Jake Mauer is and should be considered a potential manager, and Joe's spot on the roster has nothing to do with that, good or bad. The guy knows baseball, inside and out. As important, he gets people. He brings people together. He is very smart. He's got the personality and temperament necessary. he's impressive.

I can see him doing like TK and Gardy though, starting out as the 3B coach in the next couple of years before taking over.
    Not to mention that his pedigree and age may make him a very enticing target for other organizations. Not every organization seeks out managerial and coaching candidates internally.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There was a few days during spring training when Danny Santana was the hot topic. Granted, most of the big names had or were about to leave for the WBC, but at the time I remember hearing reports that he was the most athletic shortstop in the org. I thought I remember more articles, but here's the only I could find from spring:

Danny Santana is 'a legitimate shortstop candidate for the future' - Minnesota Twins news | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Twins

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post

id like to see him and Dougie M. Take over the corner coach positions over the next couple of years, give us some better internal options than our current 1st base coach, I mean bench coach, I mean 3rd Base Coach, I mean Hitting Coach, wait no... 1st base.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast