Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jose Abreu defects

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The bidding for Cliff Lee was made pretty public by his agent.

IIRC he had higher offers from both the Rangers and the Yankees before signing with Philly.

It happens, especially when the player is a little older.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,289 Times in 520 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    If "that is not done" how do you know Pujols had a larger offer?
    Easy there Chief, some logic only works one way.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Bah, if they offer a huge amount of money, he'll come here. I'd guess the Cubs will continue to dominate the season, wtih the best GM in baseball, and will sign him.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Do we really need to do this again? This is how threads die and people end up on blocked lists.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Bah, if they offer a huge amount of money, he'll come here. I'd guess the Cubs will continue to dominate the season, wtih the best GM in baseball, and will sign him.
    I would be a little surprised. Abreu has no position flexibility and they just locked up a young 1b. There is definitely an opening for the Twins.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Good point, jim. I forgot about that....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    This is hard for me to understand. The Cubs have the best GM in baseball but had a worse record than the Twins last year and have a worse record than the Twins this year, all the while spending considerably more than the Twins in both years. Since the Twins are not even a good team, let alone the best, the only way I can understand this is if it's intended as sarcasm. Is that your intent?
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,289 Times in 520 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    This is hard for me to understand. The Cubs have the best GM in baseball but had a worse record than the Twins last year and have a worse record than the Twins this year, all the while spending considerably more than the Twins in both years. Since the Twins are not even a good team, let alone the best, the only way I can understand this is if it's intended as sarcasm. Is that your intent?
    He hasn't even been there two years yet.

Or was this intended as sarcasm?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    You asked for a player that signed for less than other teams offered in the IFA market. I gave you one. It met the criteria.
    Um, you mean Iwakuma? The guy who went back to Japan because he was low balled? Are you suggesting Iwakuma is evidence of a guy who turned down money due to climate? Because the reports that came up on google says he refused Oakland due to low contract offers, saying that their offer indicated they "didnt really want me".

So you met no such criteria.

the argument from ignorance is no defense here. I believe the Twins have an opportunity here, if the counter argument is tht he'd never come here due to climate than tht claim too falls under ignorance. But sensible people understand that the primary motivation of FAs is to get paid, especially those escaping impoverished countries with a limited time frame to cash in. I'm relying on the simplest motivation, I'm asking those tht claim all IFA prize climate and racial diversity over money to show me when this has ever happened.

One would think with the number of guys tossing that around tht there would be some easy examples. I must've missed them, please enlighten me of a few examples of this trend. Otherwise, lets be done with it as a baseless claim and hope the Twins make a very competitive offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    The bidding for Cliff Lee was made pretty public by his agent.

IIRC he had higher offers from both the Rangers and the Yankees before signing with Philly.

It happens, especially when the player is a little older.
    Cliff Lee is an excellent example. He stayed in Philly for medical/family reasons and it was so surprising that he refused better offers that it made news.

things that happen routinely don't make the news, it's a classic case of the exception proving the rule.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Cliff Lee is an excellent example. He stayed in Philly for medical/family reasons and it was so surprising that he refused better offers that it made news.

things that happen routinely don't make the news, it's a classic case of the exception proving the rule.
    He also took the highest AAV, just not the most total money.

Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    He also took the highest AAV, just not the most total money.
    Right so even in the most prominent "not all about the money" case.....it was still sorta about the money. I don't know why this is even controversial as a claim.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Right so even in the most prominent "not all about the money" case.....it was still sorta about the money. I don't know why this is even controversial as a claim.
    When I first got to this site, I was slammed for suggesting that money was one of many factors for a player when picking a team. I didn't even say it was the most important factor, just one of the factors for some players. BAM, not possible was is what I was told over and over. So, you know, go figure...

Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    When I first got to this site, I was slammed for suggesting that money was one of many factors for a player when picking a team. I didn't even say it was the most important factor, just one of the factors for some players. BAM, not possible was is what I was told over and over. So, you know, go figure...
    the real amusing part is that the same people who deny money is a deciding factor rail against signing FAs because you will have to pay them as much or more than other teams to sign them....all but admitting money ultimately decides things just about every time.

Senior Member All-Star
    It shouldn't be that controversial. I do think there are obviously other factors and the money has to be significantly higher in some cases. But not this one.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    And, you know, someone says that there are more factors than money and BAM, not possible.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    You are a hero and a martyr and yet you manage to pick yourself up and keep posting.
    I don't think I'm any of that...I'm saying that's how far the ridiculous argument that money isn't at least one of the larger considerations has gone in here....to the point where someone wants to defend the lack of spending so much that they say money isn't a factor at all.

BTW, that was an unnecessary personal attack...just sayin'.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 08-13-2013 at 12:19 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    And, you know, someone says that there are more factors than money and BAM, not possible.
    Who said that? Who has said that there aren't other factors? I think some have said they believe money is the main factor, but who has said money is the only factor for every player?

It shouldn't be that controversial. I do think there are obviously other factors and the money has to be significantly higher in some cases. But not this one.
    I think "some" is pushing it. Money decides things unless deals re substantially similar in total. And guys who take one year lower total deals tend to do it for playing time and a larger future payout. It's the nature of FA...it's about cashing in.

so if the Twins want to be competitive on this guy their offer needs to meet or exceed rival offers....simple as that.

Senior Member All-Star
    I think "some" is pushing it. Money decides things unless deals re substantially similar in total. And guys who take one year lower total deals tend to do it for playing time and a larger future payout. It's the nature of FA...it's about cashing in.

so if the Twins want to be competitive on this guy their offer needs to meet or exceed rival offers....simple as that.
    Two issues would be team situation/how competitive they are and also opportunity for the player.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast