Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (8/12): Gonsalves Deals in Appy Debut

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (8/12): Gonsalves Deals in Appy Debut

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Let us hope that the chip stays on Gonslaves' shoulder for 20 some years.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That Tweet gets me excited. Love the attitude!

My mind is blown by what is happening in Rochester. I fully expected them to stink.

Their manager must be the replacement for Gardy...Right?

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wonder why Hicks was sitting ?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Love the tweet Stephen! And the performance. Hope the Twins don't bench hhim for three starts for showing up the other 29 starts/complimenting the Twins scouts/draft.

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegrin View Post
    I wonder why Hicks was sitting ?
    I think he is injured. I'd rather he be playing over Thomas.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 827 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like this kid. Nice outing. He's 18 too. Hope he continues to dominate the Appy league so we can see him in CR next season.

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Another nice report, Jeremy. Many thanks to you guys!

Three Pitchers of the week among the six leagues. Not bad for a system that's been pitching-weak over the last few years. Another sign of improvement.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 868 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Let us hope that the chip stays on Gonslaves' shoulder for 20 some years.
    I concur. Adding another guy like Deduno and Albers- who both fuel their performances with shots of heart-felt and gutty emotional energy- is an exciting proposition. Berrios seems to have a streak of this "shoulder chip", as well [ 1) His ceiling has been widely pooh-poohed by the national experts because of his short stature- 2) additionally, Berrios is reported to be driven to accepting nothing less of himself than perfection]. Gonsalves could easily end up being the steal of the draft.

Unfortunately, between now and the date when he ultimately reaches the Twins Rotation, I expect multiple rounds of Twins FO "attitude adjustment" measures. Hopefully the FO has learned its lesson with Garza, Slowey and Lohse, and finds a happy medium for "chip"- channeling.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    That Tweet gets me excited. Love the attitude!

My mind is blown by what is happening in Rochester. I fully expected them to stink.

Their manager must be the replacement for Gardy...Right?
    That would be Gene Glynn, Waseca's own, and Minnesota's first Mr. Basketball. At only 5'10", he's been an over-achiever his whole life. He seems to be nothing short of a miracle worker the last 2 years at Rochester. All of his top-performing players get promoted to fill the gaping holes on the Twins, while the major league disappointments, filler signees and castoffs could potentially come down to Rochester and infect the clubhouse with a malcontented malady.

If the Twins make a mistake and don't do something with him in the way of recognition and a promotion, expect other clubs to steal his unique set of talents away from the organization.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    I love teh attitude, I'm surprised how many others do...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I concur. Adding another guy like Deduno and Albers- who both fuel their performances with shots of heart-felt and gutty emotional energy- is an exciting proposition. Berrios seems to have a streak of this "shoulder chip", as well [ 1) His ceiling has been widely pooh-poohed by the national experts because of his short stature- 2) additionally, Berrios is reported to be driven to accepting nothing less of himself than perfection]. Gonsalves could easily end up being the steal of the draft.

Unfortunately, between now and the date when he ultimately reaches the Twins Rotation, I expect multiple rounds of Twins FO "attitude adjustment" measures. Hopefully the FO has learned its lesson with Garza, Slowey and Lohse, and finds a happy medium for "chip"- channeling.
    I always thought Slowey's main problem was a lack of talent.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    That would be Gene Glynn, Waseca's own, and Minnesota's first Mr. Basketball. At only 5'10", he's been an over-achiever his whole life. He seems to be nothing short of a miracle worker the last 2 years at Rochester. All of his top-performing players get promoted to fill the gaping holes on the Twins, while the major league disappointments, filler signees and castoffs could potentially come down to Rochester and infect the clubhouse with a malcontented malady.

If the Twins make a mistake and don't do something with him in the way of recognition and a promotion, expect other clubs to steal his unique set of talents away from the organization.
    Teams had several years to hire Glynn before 2012 when he was working as a scout. Credit the Twins for pulling the trigger.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    I think he is injured. I'd rather he be playing over Thomas.
    Yeah, he's had a minor leg injury. I'd rather see Hicks playing over Thomas, but the key is to get Hicks some at bats out of the spotlight. His development is way more important than a couple of plays this year.

Thomas has hit better than Hicks, and he's shown that he can cover some ground in CF. He's not Hicks defensively, but he's solid.

Only thing I care about is doing what's best for Hicks long-term development.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I love teh attitude, I'm surprised how many others do...
    Why would anyone have a problem with that?

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Teams had several years to hire Glynn before 2012 when he was working as a scout. Credit the Twins for pulling the trigger.
    I credit Bob Gebhard for recommending him to the Twins, and the Twins acting on his adivice. Credit Glynn as well, for hanging in there all these years and then making the most of his opportunity entering a pretty thankless job in Rochester.

Watch the teams line up in the offseason to get Glynn now.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I always thought Slowey's main problem was a lack of talent.
    Yeah, that "lack of talent" was why he was a 2nd round draft pick, had a career Twins minor league ERA of 2.13 and why the the Twins were then confident enough in his ability to grant him Super 2 arb status.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    There are entire threads about Garza and Harper and others with attitudes on this site. I'm just surprised, that's all.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Uhh, some in high places do....

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, that "lack of talent" was why he was a 2nd round draft pick, had a career Twins minor league ERA of 2.13 and why the the Twins were then confident enough in his ability to grant him Super 2 arb status.
    All of which means nothing if it doesn't translate into major league success. Not the first time a high draft pick and hot prospect didn't pan out. Great college pitcher, good minor league career. Not quite good enough for the Show. Happens all the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast