Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Miguel Sulbaran

Member Rookie
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    cmath- whats your source? I was at the Kernals game he started and his fastball never got above 89 according to field radar. He did have a low/mid 70's changeup that looked wicked.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfanstl View Post
    cmath- whats your source? I was at the Kernals game he started and his fastball never got above 89 according to field radar. He did have a low/mid 70's changeup that looked wicked.
    Thanks for that information. It seems the velocity reports from BA, ESPN, etc... are often inflated. It's nice to have first hand information.

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Miguel Sulbaran is 2-0 for Cedar Rapids with a 2.40 ERA in three starts so far. He has struck out 15 in 15 innings with only 4 walks. Opponents batting average is a little high at .279.
    His MiLB stats page has some interesting splits but these are such a small sample size that they are insignificant alone. (only showing current team) I would love for someone to share the full season splits (opposing BA's rightys/leftys/runners on etc...) if you have that. I am wondering if what we see with the Kernels is trend or mirage...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goulik View Post
    Miguel Sulbaran is 2-0 for Cedar Rapids with a 2.40 ERA in three starts so far. He has struck out 15 in 15 innings with only 4 walks. Opponents batting average is a little high at .279.
    His MiLB stats page has some interesting splits but these are such a small sample size that they are insignificant alone. (only showing current team) I would love for someone to share the full season splits (opposing BA's rightys/leftys/runners on etc...) if you have that. I am wondering if what we see with the Kernels is trend or mirage...
    Sulbaran's full season splits can be found here. There is nothing alarming in his Righty/Lefty splits other than that his babip against left handers was .401 which in turn drove their BAA up to .293. Even with that they still only OPSed .689 (vs. .651 verus RH).

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 856 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    Sulbaran's full season splits can be found here. There is nothing alarming in his Righty/Lefty splits other than that his babip against left handers was .401 which in turn drove their BAA up to .293. Even with that they still only OPSed .689 (vs. .651 verus RH).
    If he makes it to the majors as a rotation regular, he will defy another set of conventions about starting pitchers that the Twins like defying, like Deduno and Albers did. How many 5'10" starters in the majors, are there actually?

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 817 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    If he makes it to the majors as a rotation regular, he will defy another set of conventions about starting pitchers that the Twins like defying, like Deduno and Albers did. How many 5'10" starters in the majors, are there actually?
    There's got to be a lot. He can hit low 90s which is certainly on par with a number of major league starters. The big thing I'd guess would be an issue is that he's not going to get as much downward plane on his pitches. That doesn't mean it's impossible for him to have a major league career. Once of Lincicum's biggest knocks was his 5' 11" frame, and he ended up with a couple of Cy Young awards.

I'd also note, he's 19. While not common, he could still grown a couple of inches. Mauer did that.

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Season final stats, 9-4 w/l in 27 games, 20 started. He finished with a 2.96 ERA, 2.70 with the Twins/Kernels for the last 4 games all starts. He had a 2.6 walk/9 ratio and a 8.1 SO ratio. In 112.2 innings he allowed only 3 Hrs, 4 hit batsmen and 2 wild pitches. (Control) in his 7 relief appearances he recorded 1 save but no holds. His ground out to fly out was .84

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12