Thread: Article: Danny Santana: Shortstop Of The Future?

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Danny Santana: Shortstop Of The Future?

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Good job Boone. I'm skeptical and like Florimon more and more, but appreciate your efforts.

It would be huge if the Twins feel we already have our SS of the future, so we can use our 2014 pick on a starting pitcher. Next year's draft may go 7-8 deep.

Senior Member Triple-A Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 33 Posts
    Woah, what happened to BA, HR and RBI?

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    Woah, what happened to BA, HR and RBI?
    went the way of the dinosaurs, where they should be...

Great stuff, btw.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've been wondering if the optimism surrounding Santana was misplaced. This helps me be a lot more optimistic.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would think keeping his k rate low is his only chance at being able to hit enough. With his lack of power I don't see him being able to walk all that much so it will be critical to make enough contact to maintain a solid average/OBP.

Maybe a .265/.310/.330 type of line? If he can do that with good defense and get some bags, that is a borderline acceptable everyday SS.

Great writeup.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    RE: Santana's fielding:

"Many people on Twins Daily, including myself, have doubted whether or not he deserved such recognition."

Really? Why?

I have not seen him play. But when the opposing mangers rate him as the best...you have to listen. I heard reports before this year about his excellent defense and to be honest, that BA article makes me satisfied that his defense will hold up, but I am concerned about his OBP.

If he is able to improve his OBP, his defense + his offensive potential makes him the "SS of the foreseeable future" and more valuable than Florimon - has anyone looked at Florimon's offensive stats lately? (.218/.273/.332)

Yikes!

I don't think Florimon's D is good enough to overcome that level of poor production.

Senior Member Double-A troyhobbs's Avatar
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    From what Ive seen Santana is not a sure thing that I like to believe Arcia, Sano, Buxton, & Rosario are but he's very athletic with a high ceiling and lots of talent, hopefully he gets there and is not a bust.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Very good article. Santana definitely needs more time refining his defense at short. Another year split between AA and AAA should let him work out those offensive kinks.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    RE: Santana's fielding:

"Many people on Twins Daily, including myself, have doubted whether or not he deserved such recognition."

Really? Why?

I have not seen him play. But when the opposing mangers rate him as the best...you have to listen. I heard reports before this year about his excellent defense and to be honest, that BA article makes me satisfied that his defense will hold up, but I am concerned about his OBP.

If he is able to improve his OBP, his defense + his offensive potential makes him the "SS of the foreseeable future" and more valuable than Florimon - has anyone looked at Florimon's offensive stats lately? (.218/.273/.332)

Yikes!

I don't think Florimon's D is good enough to overcome that level of poor production
    He's 26 with 434 major league at bats.
    Last edited by howieramone; 08-15-2013 at 12:36 AM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've listened to a few games on the radio for the Rock Cats and it seems like their play at 1B has been pretty bad. That you have to throw it to the chest or it's and error, no ability to scoop anything. That may be the reason for a high error mark for all of the infielders. When you know you have to make a perfect throw you start to aim and make even worse throws.

Can anyone who has watched the Rock Cats this year on a consistent basis confirm or deny my hypothesis, mine is such a small sample size.

I'll chime in, for what it's worth.
    I think his defense has been downright scary. Fielding and throwing errors.
    I've heard it suggested that the NB infield isn't kept in as good of condition as you would expect, and that might be true, but it didn't stop James Beresford (most recently) from playing a very solid SS.

This isn't an indictment on Santana. He's a solid hitter with a very strong arm. He just needs work on defense.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have heard that younger players with great range can have trouble in the errors department b/c they get to (and attempt to make a play on) balls that others just cannot get to. I'm not sure if there's truth to that, but I specifically remember that linked to some guy named Jose Reyes who is a pretty good defensive SS and make his fair share of errors when he first came up. I'm not worried about the errors if the range is there. However, his bat does not inspire me.

Wot? Beresford dissed completely??

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    So, he's the Ben Revere of infielders, hitting wise? Is that how I should read this?

Liked 207 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    So, he's the Ben Revere of infielders, hitting wise? Is that how I should read this?
    That's actually a pretty solid description. I saw him play one game in Beloit in 2010, and 2 in 2011. He's incredibly talented... I love his range and his arm, but he can struggle with the routine plays. He's no James Beresford with the glove, but I haven't seen many who are. Offensively, he's very aggressive, very fast, takes a big swing. He's not big, so he doesn't have as much power as his swing would indicate, but he's a hacker.

I like his tools a lot, but have said all along he's not that close. That said, I complete agree and agreed with him being kept on the 40 man roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Wot? Beresford dissed completely??
    What does this mean?

As an old pitcher I would hate seeing Santana error another ground ball making me have to go to the next batter, 31 errors so far this season I would not call "good defence"