Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More Transactions Coming

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 480 Times in 314 Posts
    Blog Entries

More Transactions Coming

Doumit is supposed to be healthy and ready to come off the 7-day DL tomorrow. Mastroianni has one more day of rehab before he must be reinstated. Gardy mentioned again that Mastro has been "nicked" a couple of times on his rehab. I wonder if the Twins can and will petition to get an extension of rehab time for Mastroianni. Apparently, he is not swinging well (0-2 with a walk today, 2 Ks) and if they can't extend his rehab, it appears the Twins will option him. (BTW, Hicks still isn't playing). If Mastro stays in Rochester, one way or another, the Twins will have to shed one player. I have been screaming "Ramirez" but I suppose it could be Colabello or Herrmann.

Meanwhile, Gibson passed the 140 IP milestone tonight (Minors and Majors combined) and Gardy is speculating that Deduno may have a "dead arm". What to do? What to do? Unless the Twins simply skip Deduno and start Swarzak/Duensing/Pressly, then they probably have to recall somebody and be creative in creating the roster space. I suspect Gibson does not pitch at all in September and someone will have to be recalled to fill his spot. The only starters that are healthy and on the roster in Rochester are Diamond and Hendriks.

The Twins have one spot on the 40-man and that seems to have earmarked for Mastroianni. If Morneau or another veteran gets traded it likely will add another vacancy on the 40-man.

Hendriks and Diamond will be here no matter what.

When Doumit and Mastro return, we lose Herrmann and Colabello (since Morneau is staying put).

Look for Escobar and parmelee to be called up. Maybe even Pinto (and Herrmann and Colabello)., Anyone on the 40-man will get a September callup. DeVries, Tomkin, Hernandez.

Look for Gibson to be shut down. Maybe the Twins will have a major league look at May. Two years on the 40-man for this guy. We need to give him a taste!

Watch, I bet Hicks doesn't get called back in unless he shows something at Rochester (service time service time).

Mastro takes that 40-man vacancy that left with Carroll.

No, we won't see any future 2015 full-time Twins yet.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 59 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gibson wont be pitching by September. Hopefully he can have a nice outing the next start and end his season on a good note. I suspect Hendriks is ahead of Diamond at this point. Colabiesie and Hermsie will be the guys optioned most likely. I wish they'd give Colabiesie a real shot, but alas, this isn't Cinderelasie.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Hendriks and Diamond will be here no matter what.

When Doumit and Mastro return, we lose Herrmann and Colabello (since Morneau is staying put).

Look for Escobar and parmelee to be called up. Maybe even Pinto (and Herrmann and Colabello)., Anyone on the 40-man will get a September callup. DeVries, Tomkin, Hernandez.

Look for Gibson to be shut down. Maybe the Twins will have a major league look at May. Two years on the 40-man for this guy. We need to give him a taste!

Watch, I bet Hicks doesn't get called back in unless he shows something at Rochester (service time service time).

Mastro takes that 40-man vacancy that left with Carroll.

No, we won't see any future 2015 full-time Twins yet.
    This is not a consideration unless the Twins plan on keeping him down for a month next season.
    Papers...business papers.

Blog Entries
    I think Morneau is moved before the conclusion of the month. I can picture Terry Ryan looking like Mr. Scratch waiting for phone calls when a first baseman or DH get "nicked". Why isn't Ramirez in the conversation for demotion?

Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have a lot of starting pitchers rehabbing in AAA, but hopefully De Vries, Hernandez, and Worley get healthy so they can at least throw in Sept. if they have to.
    Deduno is going to be shut down soon? I'm not surprised, but this is the first time I've heard it. I really want to see Pinto, I think he's apart of the future. Parmelee and Tonkin need to get up here too. We have so many starting pitchers on the 40 man roster but so many are nicked up...or need to be shut down.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
    Tough call on who gets sent down for Doumit. Hermann is most logical, but given his magic with Albers, they may want to keep him. I know Gardy hates not having a back-up CF'er, but he didn't even start Ramirez in a day came. He must not be that vital.

They should put doumit on waivers and either work out a trade or give him away. He should not be taking playing time from young players.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 86 Times in 53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    I think Morneau is moved before the conclusion of the month. I can picture Terry Ryan looking like Mr. Scratch waiting for phone calls when a first baseman or DH get "nicked". Why isn't Ramirez in the conversation for demotion?
    Ramirez has no options left - he can't be sent down without DFAing and outrighted (which will probably happen after the season).

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Doumit will stay. Despite his batting average, he was the 2nd best hitter (after Mauer) since Willingham went on the DL.

If Ramirez is DFA'd and someone picks him up, it is less of a loss than Mastro.

Colabello has shown us nothing. Lets use the AB on Parmalee, who is younger and has more potential.

If Hicks doesn't show a huge improvement in the next few weeks, I see know reason to bring Hicks back.

What happens to Gibson's ML roster spot if they shut Gibson down? Can they disable him ?
    Will we have to go with just 24 players until September ? Can they send him down to Rochester without affecting his options ?

Deduno's injury and delayed start may affect the rest of the season. If Deduno has a dead arm, he will probably give us 2 or 3 more difficult outings like the last 2 before we will see the real Deduno.

Once they "get it" , sometimes pitchers pitch better in the majors than they do in the minors
    Maybe that will be the case with Diamond and Hendricks.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegrin View Post
    What happens to Gibson's ML roster spot if they shut Gibson down? Can they disable him ?
    Will we have to go with just 24 players until September ? Can they send him down to Rochester without affecting his options ?
    They can't disable him just cause they want to and no, sending him down won't affect his options. Options are a yearly thing. Since he was already optioned this season, they could yo-yo him all year long between AAA and the majors and they still will have only burnt one option for this year.

Blog Entries
    Doumit will stay. Despite his batting average, he was the 2nd best hitter (after Mauer) since Willingham went on the DL.

If Ramirez is DFA'd and someone picks him up, it is less of a loss than Mastro.

Colabello has shown us nothing. Lets use the AB on Parmalee, who is younger and has more potential.

If Hicks doesn't show a huge improvement in the next few weeks, I see know reason to bring Hicks back.
    Second best player? Brian Dozier says "hello". I just don't see the point of carrying Ramirez. Colabello's season in Rochester should be justification to see what kind of big league hitter he is at 29. I also want more ABs for Parmelee, but in truth, he hasn't produced at a position where there will always be other offensive options. I think Hicks is still injured. He hasn't started a game in about a week and only played in a long extra inning affair.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Second best player? Brian Dozier says "hello".
    I'm not sure how important it is for your point, but he didn't say Doumit had been the 2nd best player since Willingham went on the DL, he said 2nd best hitter.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think that Gibson and Deduno get us to the Sept. 1 roster expansion. Gardy is a big fan of having pitchers work through dead arm (as am I). But, come then I think that Gibson for sure gets put on the DL with a "sore shoulder" or something like that. Maybe both. At which time they bring up Diamond and Hernandez and possibly even Hendricks. They go with a 5 or 6 man rotation.

Also, I would like to see Herrmann go down and find that sweet swing again. He is piling up the K's again and keeping Ramirez is a plus till Mastro can make it back up.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
    Some how, some way they need to get Hendriiks, Diamond and Parmalee back up here for the rest of the season. To me, these are the last question marks that need to be evaluated going into the off season. Whether Colabello or Ramirez goes up or down or is DFA'd really doesn't matter. These are not important pieces of our future.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,502 Times in 785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    I'm not sure how important it is for your point, but he didn't say Doumit had been the 2nd best player since Willingham went on the DL, he said 2nd best hitter.
    That would still be Dozier. Really, Dozier has been the Twins second-best hitter/player, period.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    Some how, some way they need to get Hendriiks, Diamond and Parmalee back up here for the rest of the season. To me, these are the last question marks that need to be evaluated going into the off season. Whether Colabello or Ramirez goes up or down or is DFA'd really doesn't matter. These are not important pieces of our future.
    They'll get their chances soon enough for the reasons you state. I could see a 6 man rotation in September with Gibson shut down.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,187 Times in 1,692 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Colabello has shown us nothing.
    Cherry picking a starting date of July 25, Colabello has a current OPS line of .985 on a .306 BA. Still small sample size, but it's not just a couple of games either. I'm not optimistic on his long-terms chances, but he's "shown" something.

Blog Entries
    I'm wondering if Rochester's status of being in a pennant race matters at all. I actually think that it does. Diamond threw a shutout last time out and I think the Twins would like the Wings to make the playoffs for the first time since they were a Twins affiliate. Obviously, the number one goal is player development, but winning at Rochester is probably just as important as winning a few more games in Minnesota.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    All I know is that we should have signed Bourne for a year or two and let Hicks play all year in AAA. Now, you try to trade either or both Doumit and Morneau before having to move guys up and down and fiddle with the 40 man.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast