Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: 20 Twins Trades: Goodbye Johan

Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Administrator Double-A Twins Daily Admin's Avatar
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Carlos Gomez seemed like the kind of guy who might round the bases the wrong way, if you just let him do his thing.
    Brilliant.

When Johan signs back with us after the Mets drop him, he'll still beat out Guerra in getting (back) to the show. Trippy huh?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 200 Times in 121 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpitefulRabbit617 View Post
    When Johan signs back with us after the Mets drop him, he'll still beat out Guerra in getting (back) to the show. Trippy huh?
    I would be ok with this.

Johan wanted to be sent to a team that might increase his endorsement value, so it was basically either coast. Plus, the teamaahd to be in a position to payout nearly $150 million in long-term salary.

The Twins did what they usually do, offer $90 million or so over 5 years (including the current season, I believe).

We first heard about interest from the Red Sox. The Red Sox didn't want to aprt with Ellesbury. I think one offer was Lester, Coco Crisp, Masterson, Lowie and Bowden. Now that would've been a nice package. Except the Twins were looking at Lester being too expensive and CoCo not being the centerfielder of their dreams (although they did have Span in the chute).

There were rumors that the Red Sox would part with Ellsbury, but the Twins wanted Bucholz or someone of that ilk in the deal, along with prospects.

The Yankees offered with Hughes and Melky and a couple of prospects. The Twins wanted Kennedy thrown in as one of the prospects. Hughes was acting like Prior or any number of other guys who felt that going to the Midwest was sealing his death.

I think the Yankees and Red Sox were just jostling the Twins, hoping one or the other would make a mistake and trade the wrong set of players for Johan.

It is my understanding that the Twins originally wanted Pelfry and hot low minor league outfielder (Rodriguez or someone, who ended up with the Astros and flamed out). Instead they got Humber who was basically out of options, Gomez, who needed another season in the minors (really, yes), Mulvey and Guerra (who stillaahs hope, little hope, but hope).

Of course, if the Twins had let Gomez stay in the minors and Pelfry had been a part of the original deal...maybe it would look a little better. The Twins got fleeced. And what did they spend the savings of $20-25 million a year on is the bigger question.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
    Mets third baseman David Wright was ecstatic about Santana possibly joining the team "If it's true, obviously, you're getting arguably the best pitcher in the game," Wright said, according to AP.

Is it possible that Bill Smith made this trade entirely with the focus on making David Wright happy?

I LOL'd.

Liked 1,603 Times in 799 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the Twins were making the choice between the hypotheticals in the summary, it would come down to how highly regarded the sidewalk chalk was by the Twins scouting department. Only statheads would worry about whether the numbers added up.

I know it was Billy Smith in charge of the trade, but did anyone really believe they turned down Kershaw and Kemp?

Liked 3,014 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pius Jefferson View Post
    I know it was Billy Smith in charge of the trade, but did anyone really believe they turned down Kershaw and Kemp?
    No...it was Kershaw, Kemp, and Loney. Smith would've had to throw in Duensing.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 746 Times in 462 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pius Jefferson View Post
    Kershaw/Kemp was speculated, but Santana had a no trade and said he wanted to go to the east coast. The Dodgers were never an option.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 746 Times in 462 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Johan wanted to be sent to a team that might increase his endorsement value, so it was basically either coast. Plus, the teamaahd to be in a position to payout nearly $150 million in long-term salary.

The Twins did what they usually do, offer $90 million or so over 5 years (including the current season, I believe).

We first heard about interest from the Red Sox. The Red Sox didn't want to aprt with Ellesbury. I think one offer was Lester, Coco Crisp, Masterson, Lowie and Bowden. Now that would've been a nice package. Except the Twins were looking at Lester being too expensive and CoCo not being the centerfielder of their dreams (although they did have Span in the chute).

There were rumors that the Red Sox would part with Ellsbury, but the Twins wanted Bucholz or someone of that ilk in the deal, along with prospects.

The Yankees offered with Hughes and Melky and a couple of prospects. The Twins wanted Kennedy thrown in as one of the prospects. Hughes was acting like Prior or any number of other guys who felt that going to the Midwest was sealing his death.

I think the Yankees and Red Sox were just jostling the Twins, hoping one or the other would make a mistake and trade the wrong set of players for Johan.

It is my understanding that the Twins originally wanted Pelfry and hot low minor league outfielder (Rodriguez or someone, who ended up with the Astros and flamed out). Instead they got Humber who was basically out of options, Gomez, who needed another season in the minors (really, yes), Mulvey and Guerra (who stillaahs hope, little hope, but hope).

Of course, if the Twins had let Gomez stay in the minors and Pelfry had been a part of the original deal...maybe it would look a little better. The Twins got fleeced. And what did they spend the savings of $20-25 million a year on is the bigger question.
    From what I remember reading, there was question whether or not the Red Sox even had an offer on the table and that this was a rumor to drive up the Yankee's price. We tend to forget that when we talk about this trade. IF that package was actually available, then the Twins messed up big time. The word though is if.