Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (8/16-8/17): Two For One Special

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (8/16-8/17): Two For One Special

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Just a question for the stats guys.
    How can a team be 30 games over .500 when a team that is playing .500 ball is 15 games back in the standings.

Blog Entries
    If they've played the same amount of games, say 30, and one team won them all (30-0) while the other team won half (15-15) its pretty easy to see. Its just that many less wins or "wins back".

Think about games in pairs, you either go two games over .500, .500 or two games under .500.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    They will protect Kepler, if for no other reason than great trade bait. There are plenty of guys ahead of him they could unprotect and it would not matter.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    They will protect Kepler, if for no other reason than great trade bait. There are plenty of guys ahead of him they could unprotect and it would not matter.
    You may be right, but my question is whether any team would take him. Unless I'm mistaken, that team would have to keep a guy who's never played above A ball on their 25 man active roster for the entire season.
    That probably eliminates a lot of teams from taking him.
    And while the roster spot may not be an issue for a team like the Astros who have no notions of fielding a competitive team next year, it would be a terrible thing for Kepler's development. While teams would be interested in his talent, would they be willing to essentially waste a year of development by keeping him in the big leagues?

I don't know all the ins and outs of the rule 5 and all of that, but maybe it is not a bad gamble for the Twins to expose him.

Isn't there a minor league portion of the Rule 5 draft? I'm not an expert with the rules by any means, but I think it would be possible for a team to steal Kepler and put him at AAA instead of in the majors.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
    It should be noted that the opposing starter in New Britain's Friday night game was Noah Syndergaard, who is one of the top 5-10 pitching prospects in baseball right now. He was obviously dealing that night, as he had 10 strikeouts in only 5 innings (to go with no walks and just 3 hits).

Rosario and Sano both struck out twice in their two at bats against him. I haven't gone through the game logs to verify this, but there seems to be a good chance that Syndergaard is the best pitcher they have ever faced. Hopefully they will able to learn from these at bats, as they will be facing more and more pitchers of Syndergaard's quality (and better) as they move up the farm system and into the majors during the next year or so.

I've always thought that an interesting research project would be to catalog whenever top prospects face each other. Though I suspect that the sample-sizes will be too small to be meaningful, it may provide some insight into how prospects will perform as they are promoted. For example, a hitter who hits well against all competition may do better on promotion than a hitter who hits well against the dregs of the level but struggles against the other elite talents, even though their overall stat lines may be identical.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I have a question Jeremy. We learned of the signing of Thomas recently with many reports that he had just signed. Doesn't the new CBA require that all players had to sign by July 15th or they couldn't be signed?

If that is the case, I expect Thomas signed then and no one learned about it until recently. That is unless there are exceptions to the July 15th rule.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    I have a question Jeremy. We learned of the signing of Thomas recently with many reports that he had just signed. Doesn't the new CBA require that all players had to sign by July 15th or they couldn't be signed?

If that is the case, I expect Thomas signed then and no one learned about it until recently. That is unless there are exceptions to the July 15th rule.
    As a college senior, he was not subject to the signing deadline

Blog Entries
    Correct. Deadline doesn't apply to seniors, which could have added another element of intrigue to the potential selection of Mark Appel.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kepler will absolutely be protected on the big league 40 man... he was on the AAA last year.

Um, yeah, Kepler's a no-brainer. Does the same hold true for Sano? They were signed the same year, but not really, as Kepler signed at the regular time and Sano signed late, if you remember.

Hmmm, I ask the question of a thread that's no longer being read or that I'd likely not return to see the answer.