Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: What's the Plan: Eddie Rosario

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: What's the Plan: Eddie Rosario

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Fangraphs' prospect expert basically laughed off the concept that Dozier would block a top prospect like Rosario.....but....

I also expect them to be conservative, and to move him to AAA next year. And to see what Dozier is/is not next year. Plenty of other top prospects in other orgs move up, based on talent not numbers, from level to level. I don't know they'll do that here or not.....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    I like this series of articles so far. Thanks. A few weeks ago Mr. Stohs wrote an article about Dozier's numbers trending positively and there were many comments after that. It seems pretty logical that with Dozier playing well it would make sense to let Rosario prepare more slowly for AAAA. I hope the do not move him back to OF. Its nice to have this "issue." I look forward to a day when discussions like this happen about the pitching staff.
    Last edited by Steve Penz; 08-19-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Dozier has done exactly what fans wanted Plouffe, Parmalee and him to do: show improvement while getting regular at-bats. Speaking for all fans, Plouffe and Parmalee should not be given another opportunity if its going to block talented youngsters. On the other hand, Dozier may be performing well enough that Rosario needs to break down the gate at AAA next year to get a call up as Dozier is more than holding his own defensively and is taking a very positive turn offensively.

It wouldn't be too bad of a situation to keep a Gold Glove (yes, I said it) caliber player in Dozier where he is and move Rosario to LF. I am assuming that Rosario will get a September call up in 2014 or possibly earlier, but more than likely be in the running for a full-time job in 2015. Buxton in CF, by then with Arcia/Hicks in RF.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 304 Times in 180 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Keep in mind Rosario's numbers were very good up until a bit over a week ago. He's been in a slump. That's the SSS of AA. I suspect he opens the season in Rochester with Sano for 2014. I'm perfectly fine with that. If Dozier is a mirage, then Rosario will likely get his chance sometime next year. If not, the Twins have a good problem, but I would hope Dozier finds his way back to SS since there really isn't much close in terms of impact talent.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If they think Rosario is ready for the majors, I think they need to give Dozier another shot at short, or see what they could get pitching wise via trade.

Senior Member Double-A troyhobbs's Avatar
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tjsyam921 View Post
    If they think Rosario is ready for the majors, I think they need to give Dozier another shot at short, or see what they could get pitching wise via trade.
    I like the idea of trading Dozier for a legitimate MLB SP if possible. Rosario's ceiling is high enough to risk losing Dozier to fill a more needy position. Otherwise no need to rush him out of AAA.
    Last edited by troyhobbs; 08-19-2013 at 05:08 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 69 Times in 47 Posts
    I like the improvement by Dozier but I'm still not sold on him. Start Rosario in AAA next year till Dozier either loses his job at 2B or cements it. Rosario will only be 22 next year so there is no rush to get him to the bigs.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    I would sacrifice some defense at SS to get too decent to good middle infield bats in the lineup. What's one error on defense when the pitching is giving up two doubles an inning anyway?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    I'd like to see Sano and Rosario get promoted to Rochester for the playoff run. There aren't a lot of guys at the MLB level who have a relationship with winning baseball and I'd like these two to know what it is and like the taste of it.

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Fangraphs' prospect expert basically laughed off the concept that Dozier would block a top prospect like Rosario.....but....

I also expect them to be conservative, and to move him to AAA next year. And to see what Dozier is/is not next year. Plenty of other top prospects in other orgs move up, based on talent not numbers, from level to level. I don't know they'll do that here or not.....
    Yea that one kinda peeved me off because he clearly had no idea how Dozier's been doing as of late.

Anything that promotes either of these two individuals to Minnesota (Rosario or Sano) until next year would be flat out dumb. There is a good chance that they might not make the opening day roster next year and then it will be important to delay their Super Two arbitration status. I am fine if one forces your hand next spring to start them on the roster ... but to assume that is likely and promote them in September to win meaningless baseball games that they are actually better off losing is dumb. I agree with the send them to Rochester approach although I assume you need to demote someone then ... which would seem kind of unfair to whoever contributed to them being in the playoffs.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 73 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy4Twins View Post
    Anything that promotes either of these two individuals to Minnesota (Rosario or Sano) until next year would be flat out dumb. There is a good chance that they might not make the opening day roster next year and then it will be important to delay their Super Two arbitration status. I am fine if one forces your hand next spring to start them on the roster ... but to assume that is likely and promote them in September to win meaningless baseball games that they are actually better off losing is dumb. I agree with the send them to Rochester approach although I assume you need to demote someone then ... which would seem kind of unfair to whoever contributed to them being in the playoffs.
    You mean like Aaron Hicks this year? How'd that work out?
    If they think he's ready he should be here, if not he shouldn't, but I would sure as hell hope that the Twins have learned their lesson and that Spring Training will have absolutely nothing to do with that decision.
    We're talking about practice.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    And I'll laugh off that he actually laughed off to that. Some expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    You mean like Aaron Hicks this year? How'd that work out?
    If they think he's ready he should be here, if not he shouldn't, but I would sure as hell hope that the Twins have learned their lesson and that Spring Training will have absolutely nothing to do with that decision.
    We're talking about practice.
    So why do they have spring training then, why not just write in next year's lineups after the last game of the season, and who did earn the opening day CF spot if not Hicks?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 73 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by troyhobbs View Post
    So why do they have spring training then, why not just write in next year's lineups after the last game of the season, and who did earn the opening day CF spot if not Hicks?
    I'm guessing to get ready for the season? Maybe so pitchers can work on certain pitches, maybe get their pitch counts up?
    Maybe so that the first time hitters see live pitching in months it's not in a game that counts?
    Maybe so they can work on PFP, work on turning double plays, hitting cut off men, etc.
    Are you telling me that the opening day roster should be set based on ST numbers?
    Boy, I hope Mauer never has a bad spring training, does he have any options left?

I'm not saying Hicks did or did not earn the CF job. If he did it should be based on his track record as a whole, and what the coaches see as his strengths and weaknesses, not because he can put up the best numbers in a tiny sample size of pretend games against mixed competition.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 69 Times in 47 Posts
    The Twins are one of four teams still in on Cuban "SS" Guerrero. If they sign him the would give us two guys who profile as 2B but could be below average defensive SS and a top 50 2B prospect. That would give us 3 true 2B with questions surrounding them.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 340 Times in 193 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    Dozier has done exactly what fans wanted Plouffe, Parmalee and him to do: show improvement while getting regular at-bats..
    To be fair, Dozier has had some brutal stretches we rode out this year. It'd be nice if Parms had gotten that same opportunity. I think that's so crucial for prospects at their point of development.

As for Rosario, I hope he and Sano play in the playoffs this year with AAA and then see June call-ups next year.

Dozier at age 26 has emerged as a decent bat (.243/.311/.417) + good glove at 2nd base, a nice sort of player to have on the roster, especially as a compliment to a few real big bats in the middle of your lineup. But I wouldn't say that Dozier is an essential building block, one of the core players in the next good Twins team, or someone who should be blocking any top prospects.

He buys the club some time to let Rosario develop some more in the minors next season. If Dozier's plate production improves in his age 27 season, I'd say sell high on him--especially if Rosario looks ready to come up to the majors by next summer or at the end of the season. If Dozier's bat regresses, well, too bad, but then he still might help the team after being shifted to a utility role.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    I'm guessing to get ready for the season? Maybe so pitchers can work on certain pitches, maybe get their pitch counts up?
    Maybe so that the first time hitters see live pitching in months it's not in a game that counts?
    Maybe so they can work on PFP, work on turning double plays, hitting cut off men, etc.
    Are you telling me that the opening day roster should be set based on ST numbers?
    Boy, I hope Mauer never has a bad spring training, does he have any options left?

I'm not saying Hicks did or did not earn the CF job. If he did it should be based on his track record as a whole, and what the coaches see as his strengths and weaknesses, not because he can put up the best numbers in a tiny sample size of pretend games against mixed competition.
    I'm just messing with you a little bit. I know for veterans it's next to nothing but I think young guys can win spots w strong ST showings. I don't see Rosario doing this but regardless, the Hicks situation was different especially with the trades, Mastro's injury and Joe Benson's lack of hitting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast