Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Twins Recall Michael Tonkin

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins Recall Michael Tonkin

In a press release this morning, the Twins announced the Michael Tonkin has been recalled to the team to replace Kyle Gibson's spot on the roster.

it's possible he'll be with the team only until a 5th starter is needed, which could be as early as Friday (if Sam Deduno can't go).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 142 Times in 74 Posts
    Or he slots into the bullpen and Swarzak takes Gibson's start.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Or, they just cut one of the relievers that is not signed for next year, and let him sign with another team....that's what I would do, but certainly not what they will do.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    Or he slots into the bullpen and Swarzak takes Gibson's start.
    That's certainly a possibility. Still would have Duensing and Pressly for long relief options.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 856 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    In a press release this morning, the Twins announced the Michael Tonkin has been recalled to the team to replace Kyle Gibson's spot on the roster.

it's possible he'll be with the team only until a 5th starter is needed, which could be as early as Friday (if Sam Deduno can't go).
    Happy for Tonkin, but he will be back in Rochester by the weekend.

Any inside tea leaves or indications on who is currently in favor to taking that 5th spot in the rotation? Whether it's Friday or Saturday, it's going to happen. Pedro Hernandez pitched last night, so Saturday would be his normal starting slot. And it wouldn't disrupt Rochester's run.

And that brings up the question, are the Twins fully committed to "all hands on deck" for the Red Wings playoff run?....meaning.... that all of the demoted Major Leaguers and rostered players are "hands off" until the Wings are eliminated?

I thought Swarzak would get the call.

As for Red Wings, hopefully a few guys will get promoted from New Britain to help them out, if need be...but I could see Parmelee AND Hicks not getting called up in September (although tell me why not...why play Ramirez, Thomas, Bernier and pitch Roeincke...well, you get the idea).
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    I expect Deduno will be on the DL and someone else will take his starts for awhile. This is "audition time" (remember 2011?) where the barrel is scraped to permit guys "their chance" to see if/where they belong in the scheme of things. I anticipate many losses and few wins the rest of the season.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    If anyone replaces Gibson, I hope it's Hendricks. Guy needs more opportunities as long as we clearly have space to give them.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    If anyone replaces Gibson, I hope it's Hendricks. Guy needs more opportunities as long as we clearly have space to give them.
    That was my vote. In a lost season, after Hendy "passed the test" in the doubleheader on August 9 against the Sox, I'm surprised that he hasn't already been called up. He backed it up in Roc. with another great outing last night and a QS previous to that.

With Gibson down and Deduno ailing, we clearly have the space. But, is there an "affiliates!" override vote that brings back Pedro Hernandez and/or inserts Swarzak or Duensing, instead?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    As opposed to worrying about finding out more about his ability to pitch in the majors? That should be PRIORITY ONE.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    As opposed to worrying about finding out more about his ability to pitch in the majors? That should be PRIORITY ONE.
    I agree.....and I hope that "Priority One" is what Ryan is tending to, as he's down in Rochester this week. But, I have my doubts, as "affiliate concern", particularly Rochester- where the relationship has been rocky, may override "P-1".

Does anyone know if Worley is soon ready for re-activation?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Diamond should come back, too. I do wonder what the Twins will do to keep Rochester comparitively stocked to make a run in the International League playoffs.

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We called up a future part of the playoff run, so I'm happy. Diamond/Hendriks/hopefully not Swarzak can take Gibson's spot. The only question now is who takes Deduno's spot if he's hurt/shut down?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 42 Posts
    According to Berardino Hendriks is likely to pitch Saturday for Gibson. Swarzak will probably pitch Friday if Deduno can't go.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think DeVries is close also. Spot start Swarzak/Pressly, call up Hendriks and then have DeVries take the spot in the rotation. It would be his opportunity to show that he could be a 6th or 7th man in Rochester next season.