Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (8/20): Dominant Debut for Stew(art)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (8/20): Dominant Debut for Stew(art)

Awesome reporting Seth! What do you think the Cedar Rapids rotation looks like next year? Do you think Stewart cracks it??

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    BR lists Greg Reynolds as a #2 overall pick in 2006 by the Rockies. I was surprised to hear you write that he was still in organized baseball, as his career as been nothing but one disappointment after another. 3 teams in 3 years, and this year all of a sudden, everything has clicked for him at the AAA level. Since the Reds are ridiculously loaded with top-end SP prospects, could the Twins lure him away in the offseason with a major league contract offer? He's still only just-turned 28 years old.

His story is somewhat reminiscent to Andrew Albers, morphing into a finesses pitcher after some catastophic injuries:

Right-hander Reynolds looking forward to callup | reds.com: News

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth--Any idea where Alex Meyer pitches next?

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Meyer is on his way to NB this morning.

CR will have a lot of options and - much like this year - will probably rotate guys in and out of rotation/bullpen to limit their innings.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 532 Times in 352 Posts
    Good luck to Guerra.....just too bad about the blood clot. Rooting for him.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 532 Times in 352 Posts
    Seem to be reading less caught stealing for Buxton lately......is that true? I cannot wait to watch him play in MN.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Seem to be reading less caught stealing for Buxton lately......is that true? I cannot wait to watch him play in MN.
    He was actually caught stealing in this game (picked off to be more accurate). His stealing success rate has been better at FtM:74.4% to 78.3%.

I believe he also successfully stole a base earlier this week in a game that ended up being suspended due to rain. It is not recorded on his milb stat page but I think he will get credit for that steal when that game is completed.

Buxton has proven to be a pretty quick learner on top of his great athleticism and I think his base running will continue to improve as he learns more about the art of base stealing.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CGNikolic View Post
    Awesome reporting Seth! What do you think the Cedar Rapids rotation looks like next year? Do you think Stewart cracks it??
    I think they'll certainly go with a 6-man rotation again next year, and all of those guys have a chance. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gonsalves and Stewart start the season in EST and get promoted to Cedar Rapids in May. I wouldn't be surprised if they send them both there right away either as there may not be as many exciting names on that roster in 2014.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I think they'll certainly go with a 6-man rotation again next year, and all of those guys have a chance. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gonsalves and Stewart start the season in EST and get promoted to Cedar Rapids in May. I wouldn't be surprised if they send them both there right away either as there may not be as many exciting names on that roster in 2014.
    Given how those two have handled rookie league, I would fully expect them both to pitch in CR. I'm a bit surprised Lewis Thorpe isn't joining them.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    This year's team may be the best group of every day players the Twins will ever send to Cedar Rapids. Next year's team on opening day will be similar to ETon this year...ie, real good pitching with a lot less hitting than this year's version. Certainly the right year to start a new relationship.

Anyone know how high Stewart's fastball topped out at last night?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Meyer is on his way to NB this morning.
    I have tickets for Friday night in Bowie. Hopefully Meyer doesnt pitch tomorrow night...

Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
    I have tickets for Friday night in Bowie. Hopefully Meyer doesnt pitch tomorrow night...
    NB hasn't posted their starter for tonight's game yet. Meyer pitched in a GCL game on Monday, so i think it's unlikely he'll be going tonight. I'm going to try and get to one of the Bowie games as well. I thought about going tonight, but they're expecting big crowds to meet Carlton from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 89 Times in 41 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    This year's team may be the best group of every day players the Twins will ever send to Cedar Rapids. Next year's team on opening day will be similar to ETon this year...ie, real good pitching with a lot less hitting than this year's version. Certainly the right year to start a new relationship.
    You may be right. What will be interesting to see is how many of the Kernels position players that are ending the season in CR return to start 2014. Murphy, Pineda, Licon, Altobelli, etc., could be back depending on what kind of logjam there is at high-A. Those guys are showing some ability to make contact.

That scenario would also seem similar to what the Astros have fielded at Quad Cities this year. Outside of a guy like Correa, they haven't had a lot of hitting, etiher. But their pitching has been good enough to put them in line for posteason play.
    Last edited by SD Buhr; 08-22-2013 at 03:27 PM.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 169 Times in 79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LewFordLives View Post
    NB hasn't posted their starter for tonight's game yet. Meyer pitched in a GCL game on Monday, so i think it's unlikely he'll be going tonight. I'm going to try and get to one of the Bowie games as well. I thought about going tonight, but they're expecting big crowds to meet Carlton from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air.
    Gotta love minor league ball.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    I can't believe I am missing Carlton. Those sweaters rocked.