Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Would A Johan Santana Reunion Make Sense?

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Would A Johan Santana Reunion Make Sense?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    I would love to see it but think it is unlikely. He probably wants to pitch for a contender although there is not one where he would be assured of a roster spot. The only way I see it is if he thinks that that the Twins will leave him in the rotation even after a couple rough starts (like pelfrey)and not have to be ready by opening day(like harden). The Twins do know how to use him and took much better care of Santana than the Mets.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    I'd be fine with him returning but I'm pretty skeptical he'll successfully come back, the track record for this surgery is short and bad and he's had to have it done twice.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No pitcher has ever recovered from two of these on the same shoulder.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    No. I loved listening to the Twins when Johan pitched, I don't want to listen as a shell of the old Johan struggles, I want to remember him as he was.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I dunno, I would think it might be more likely than some other options. I don't think he burned any bridges with the FO when he left, though he certainly limited their options in terms of who he'd accept a trade to. But that's just business. He had leverage and used it.

Last I knew, he still had his home in Fort Myers, making the Twins, Red Sox and maybe the Rays as teams he might lean toward going to spring training with. Of those teams, the Twins would seem to have more room for a reclamation project in their 2014 rotation. It would need to be on an incentive-heavy contract, perhaps with an agreement to allow Santana to walk away if he's not on the active roster by June.

If he did make the roster, his name would generate some buzz and sell a few tickets/jerseys.

Certainly wouldn't be the worst move either side could make this winter.

Bring him Back. Based on the majority of seasons since he left, its not like we can do any worse.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No reason not to give it a shot, really. But sadly I think Santana is toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    No reason not to give it a shot, really. But sadly I think Santana is toast.
    I think you are probably right that you can stick a fork in him--Johan is done--I figure a 90% chance of that. But resign him on the 10% chance he isn't done.

The Twins can afford to give him a decent contract for little results. Putting him on the field for just a game or two will sell tickets (which is important to the team). You will sell Jerseys. Maybe he will shine. He can't be any worse than any number of other folks out there. I don't really see anyone else risking a 40-man sot on him or a guaranteed rotation spot. The Twins have that luxury. A Santana signing in January would generate quite a few season ticket sales. Even if he doesn't ever pitch for the team during the season, the p.r. value might be worth it alone. Heck, Blackburn got paid $5 million to throw a dozen minor league innings this year!

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,281 Times in 1,747 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Old saying applies here: It is not possible to step in the same river twice. I am beyond apathetic about the idea. He's no longer Johan Santana and these are not the same Twins and I don't see the point.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Harden and Perez are cautionary, and they had the surgery once. Twice is twice too many. The surgery is for helping you comb your hair without pain. It's not for getting you back on the mound. If you know he's toast, why do anything to bring him back, unless it's just so he can retire a Twin.

Tony O and Johan team up for spanish language twins broadcast! BOOM!

Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The child in me that remembers Johan as the best pitcher on the planet for 4 years wants this to happen in the worst way. I wouldn't miss a Santana start. But, those days are gone.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 375 Times in 193 Posts
    1 year, 1 mil contract with 5 mil in incentives.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We all know that if the Twins bring him back, he'll fizzle and we'll be disappointed. If he signs elsewhere, he'll do great and we'll be disappointed. Sigh.

My heart says, "yes!" I don't put anything beyond Johan. I'd enjoy a Santana comeback attempt more than the Pelfrey/Harden/Zumaya attempts.
    ...or, a Scott Baker reunion could make even more sense.
    Heck, get the band back together!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    1 year, 1 mil contract with 5 mil in incentives.
    I don't think you throw your money away by giving him any guaranteed money. It's a long shot that he'll ever pitch in the big leagues again. If you really wan't to take a chance, do a minor league deal with an opt out date, a la Harden.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PopRiveter View Post
    My heart says, "yes!" I don't put anything beyond Johan. I'd enjoy a Santana comeback attempt more than the Pelfrey/Harden/Zumaya attempts.
    ...or, a Scott Baker reunion could make even more sense.
    Heck, get the band back together!
    Baker is a decent possibility. I would be on board if they sign at least one established guy.

Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Even if the odds are closer to one in a hundred than one in ten, can a team with the worst rotation in baseball really afford to rule much of anything out? At this point they're just looking for guys who can get the ball from the mound to home plate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast