Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

View Poll Results: The Wire or The Sopranos?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wire

7 70.00%
  • Sopranos

3 30.00%

Thread: Need a TV Marathon... Wire or Sopranos?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Need a TV Marathon... Wire or Sopranos?

I finally caught up on Breaking Bad after giving up twice a year ago... now I need to check off another in the top tier of TV greatness. I'll watch the winner, and consider any others in the comments...

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,582 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Wire. It's consistently better than the Sopranos and doesn't have as many lulls in story arcs. I was entirely sold on The Wire after the first 90 seconds of the first episode. It's absolutely hilarious.

Both are good, though.

Liked 132 Times in 85 Posts
    I haven't seen all of the Sopranos, so I can't say for sure. I voted for the wire because it is possibly the best TV series I've ever watched.

It took me about an episode or two to get into (a little longer than Brock apparently). Once I got into it, I couldn't stop. Be prepared not to go outside until it is done.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 61 Times in 38 Posts
    The Wire. Best TV show ever.
    Papers...business papers.

I'd give the nod to the Sopranos, but you can't go wrong with either. Two greatest dramas in TV history in my humble opinion.
    BYTO R.I.P.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 88 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I still think The Sopranos is the best drama ever. The Wire is right there. Six Feet Under hit pretty well much of the time. Dexter, True Blood, The Tudors, Rome, etc. are all good but are not written at that kind of level of dominance. There is no either/or with TS or TW.

Liked 714 Times in 378 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like Game of Thrones, especially the redheaded wildling woman.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,582 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    I like Game of Thrones, especially the redheaded wildling woman.
    The problem with Game of Thrones is that nothing good happens, ever. There is one exception to this in the third book (but not the third season of the show) but it's far too little in a series that currently sits at the 4500 page mark (and a show that has over 30 episodes to its credit).

It's exhausting and I was thoroughly sick of the series by the end of the fifth book; after the close of season three of the show, I'm not far from that point with that, either.

Don't get me wrong, it's brilliantly acted and very engaging... But if I want to watch something so entirely depressing with absolutely no payoff, I'll go watch some documentaries on the Civil Rights movement.

/still bitter that Martin baited us with a prologue about the Others and 4,500 pages later, we still know nothing about them

Liked 714 Times in 378 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post

Don't get me wrong, it's brilliantly acted and very engaging... But if I want to watch something so entirely depressing with absolutely no payoff, I'll go watch some documentaries on the Civil Rights movement.
    Or you could watch a Twins-Royals game?

Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    The Wire. Best TV show ever.
    I used to think that, but I'm convinced that Breaking Bad is better. That said, of the two TV shows in this discussion, I would go with the Wire. Though the Sopranos is also one of the best TV shows, so definitely worth the watch after.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    The problem with Game of Thrones is that nothing good happens, ever. There is one exception to this in the third book (but not the third season of the show) but it's far too little in a series that currently sits at the 4500 page mark (and a show that has over 30 episodes to its credit).

It's exhausting and I was thoroughly sick of the series by the end of the fifth book; after the close of season three of the show, I'm not far from that point with that, either.

/still bitter that Martin baited us with a prologue about the Others and 4,500 pages later, we still know nothing about them
    It's a GRAND story arc. We haven't seen the end, with the books yet. I firmly believe that it will have a bitter sweet type of ending. There will be sacrifices made but I do think it will end on an upbeat note.

What makes Game of Thrones so great is the character arcs. Game of Thrones and Dexter are at completely opposite ends of the spectrum there. Every character in Game of Thrones is well written, is interesting and you just love to see what happens next. With Dexter, I couldn't give two craps about any of the supporting characters after eight seasons.

As far as the Others go, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a point of view chapter from an Other at some point. That said, he needs to cut some of the fat out of the series and get to the goodies.