@Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: 20 Twins Trades: Ramos for a Proven Closer

Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Then they traded Jose Morales in the off season which left us with Butera as Mauers back up.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I also think the trade was a mistake, but I have always thought Capps has gotten a bit of a bum rap from Twins fans, probably in part due to ire over the trade. And I disagree he was awful in 2012 - his numbers show significant improvement over 2011 (although certainly not to the 2010 level, which seems to have been his career year). If he hadn't gotten injured he might have continued to improve and perhaps be the pitcher we thought he was.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
    Unquestionably a terrible trade on multiple levels - all which were covered well in this article.

That said, the one thing that I think gets slightly underappreciated about this trade and the timing was that the Twins were trailing the Whities at the time and Rauch was starting to look a little dicey at the end of games (this is an eye test thing, not sure if the numbers will completely agree and I don't care to look them up). I think the front office truly thought that sealing off the backend of the bullpen was the main need of the team (perhaps a frontline starter, but there was no options outside of Lee).

The flaw of course was that a team should not utilize a talent like Ramos for bullpen help. And if by chance they have to, it better be someone with more upside than Matt Capps.
    Papers...business papers.

So I am showing my age-- I saw the headline and thought "we didn't get a closer for Pedro Ramos-- we got Vic Power!"

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Right move, just probably not for the right player. Ramos was expendable. He would have been traded sooner or later. It would have been nice to get someone who would have stayed long term.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 526 Times in 346 Posts
    Except a catcher that is likely to be starter is worth more than a rental on a "proven closer". That's they kind of guy you build a package around for a legit SP. If, you know, you are willing to pay for a legit SP.
    Lighten up Francis....