Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: What's the Plan: Byron Buxton

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see both Buxton and Sano here just prior to the All-Star game. I also wouldn't be shocked to see it right after. Depends on how well the organization thinks they can handle the throng of national press in town for the game.

At very least they would probably be in the Futures Game again, and may stick around afterwards.
    This is what I'm thinking on Buxton, with Sano possibly up before.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    I'm in the opposite camp here.
    I want the Twins to play the service time game long and slow with both Buxton and Sano.
    I see no chance of competing next year so want to delay their MLB debuts as long as possible.
    June or July 2014 for Sano assuming he does well in AAA next year
    June 2015 for Buxton.
    Hopefully that will give the organization enough time to figure out its starting pitching problems.
    It might help the pitching problems if these 2 get established sooner rather than later, thus making MN a more desirable destination for FA pitchers.

Plus, they both need next year to get their feet wet to get us to being a legit contender in 2015. And June 2015 would be too long to wait for Buxton. The hole in the Twins OF can't be left that gaping, for that long a period of time, can it really?

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    I'm in the opposite camp here.
    I want the Twins to play the service time game long and slow with both Buxton and Sano.
    I see no chance of competing next year so want to delay their MLB debuts as long as possible.
    June or July 2014 for Sano assuming he does well in AAA next year
    June 2015 for Buxton.
    Hopefully that will give the organization enough time to figure out its starting pitching problems.
    There is no service time game. The goal is to avoid a long rebuild period.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    There is no service time game. The goal is to avoid a long rebuild period.
    Sounds great, but I am not hopefuly about 2014 -at all. So whats the point of quick promotions to watch these guys learn on the job with Kevin Correa pitching opening day?
    I say keep them in the minors for as long as possible - keep hope alive!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I expect Sano to start next year in AAA and be up in about June, I expect Buxton to start in AA and be up between July and September based on how he adjusts. Agree with the service time issue of why start service time if the rotation gives us no chance to be competitive. That would have to be addressed before I would start the service time clock early.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 530 Times in 351 Posts
    so if the pitching is bad in 2015 or 2016, would you promote Sano or Buxton? If so, why not in 2014?
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    N/M
    Last edited by jokin; 08-27-2013 at 10:30 AM.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    so if the pitching is bad in 2015 or 2016, would you promote Sano or Buxton? If so, why not in 2014?
    So now the "what's the use?" contingent may as well be advocating for retaining the option for the "full six year minor league developmental plan", as long as they deem the Twins as having no chance of being competitive? Wow, the logic in this thinking eludes me. Since the pitching rotation won't likely be fully in place and with all of them having the requisite major league innings under their belt until 2017 (ie, the best year for the chance at being "competitive"), it looks like a long, long stretch with a roster chock-full of retreads and has-beens and never-will-bes is the preferred option being advocated.... and the logical conclusion one draws from those having the "wait and stall on service time" until it's "just right" approach.

And what if half of the members of the future projected rotation flame out in one way or another (odds favor just such a scenario as likely)? Strategically wait on calling up Buxton until 2018?

But hey, it's not all bad, this could result in seeing a few years of Red Wing Dynasty with a lineup consisting entirely of "blocked" prospects, Sano, Rosario, Buxton, Walker, Kepler, Pinto, Santana, Pinto, Minier, D. Ortiz, Vargas. I see the makings for a reality show follow-up to Sano's documentary, Pelotero- "Pelotero 2- The Waiting for Goldilocks Years".

Sounds great, but I am not hopefuly about 2014 -at all. So whats the point of quick promotions to watch these guys learn on the job with Kevin Correa pitching opening day?
    I say keep them in the minors for as long as possible - keep hope alive!
    You want Sano and Buxton to go through their growing pains behind better pitching?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 163 Times in 94 Posts
    24 out of Buxton's last 28 games he has reached base MULTIPLE times.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    He's on a crazy roll. Hitting .425 in August and .465 the last 10 games. Last night he stole second and on the overthrow went from 2nd to home. Insane speed and just learning to bunt and steal bases. When he becomes polished it may be real scary for the guy standing on the mound.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123