Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: Time For Hicks to Make a Switch?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Badsmerf,

Also, 10 > 5. So there's that.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    IMO Hicks and Parmelee are exhibits A and B in why you value raw hitting ability over "polish" in a spec.

Look at the Mariners - they built a roster out of top 100 specs who put up gawdy walk inflated OPSes in the minors. But Smoak, Saunders, Franklin, and Ackley are struggling just like Hicks and parmelee did.

The only guys keeping that lineup afloat are Morales, Ibanez and Seager - the one guy who *hit* in the minors (and was left off the top 100 lists).

Quote Originally Posted by jareddejong42 View Post
    Has anybody seen what Shane Victorino has done over the past couple weeks since a hamstring injury relegated him to give up switch hitting? Of course this is a small sample size, but could be considered hope that a change for Hicks could be a good thing.
    No kidding. Victorino has always been a right-handed hitter who was switch hitting. It can't be THAT difficult to change to just hitting from the right side. Jason Varitek reacted to suggestions that he give up switch hitting like someone asked him to hit cross handed. I think, especially for hitters whose strong side is right-handed, that they are more afraid of getting pegged as a platoon player, and their perceived value would go down as a result. I remember thinking the same thing for Bobby Kielty.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Everyone keeps saying how big a change this is, but he's already swinging well right handed. A lot of people are making it out as if it's harder than teaching a same side hitter TO switch hit. The pitcher is the only thing that's really changing. Hicks knows how to hit right handed and it will help him. He'll just have to make the adjustments to the pitcher, not himself.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Badsmerf,

Also, 10 > 5
    >> Jeff Gray

He just hit a double left handed btw.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    haha, Michigan Twins!!!!

Anyway, if ending one's switch-hitting were so easy, more players would do it. They don't do it. So . . .

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 132 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thank you Shane Wahl for taking the right position and saving me making a bunch of posts. Despite Aaron Hick's relatively tender age, he has been switch hitting his entire professional career. He has a pattern of hitting better right handed, but I believe the die is cast. I suspect part of his relative success vs. left handers is that lefties tend to throw fast balls and changeups to right handers. Hicks has demonstrated "trouble with the curve" and probably has faced less of them vs. lefties. If Hicks were to try to hit exclusively RH, I think the best he could hope for is platoon play and platoon play for a RH hitter means that basically he would be a bench player. Probably the #1 component in hitting success is confidence. If Hicks went all RH all the time at the insistence of the club, would he be a more confident hitter? I doubt it.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    stringer, we will see what happens with Hicks... but at this point a platoon player might be all he is anyway. He doesn't have much time until elite talent starts trickling up the system.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
    A couple things. The "if ending switch hitting were easy, more players would do it" argument is entirely specious. There's nothing driving most switch hitters to drop hitting from one side. Nobody's asking Ryan Doumit to cut it out, for example, because he's a major league caliber hitter. Aaron Hicks showed that this year he wasn't. The only reason we are talking about it at all with regard to Hicks is because of how badly he sucked. To my knowledge there were exactly zero switch hitters in the big leagues this year with comparable problems, meaning you're actually comparing Hicks to nobody else and expecting draw a useful conclusion from an illusory comparison.

Secondly, how difficult would it be to try it out in winter ball? Just do it for a few weeks or a month and see what happens. There's no way to know how he'd respond without just doing it, and in winter ball there's really nothing to lose.

Finally, whether he drops the switch hitting or not, I think Hicks has enough talent to eventually grow into a good major leaguer. He's not there now, and that's fine. Some people take longer. But I think he'll get there.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I am in the minority here, clearly. Was his performance in AA in 2012 against righties just an aberration, then?
    Didn't you already deem 2012 an aberration in your "2nd year at a level" argument?
    Is 2012 only an aberration when it fits your argument, and not the opposing argument?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123