Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowden: Call Up Sano

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries

Bowden: Call Up Sano

From today's article on top prospects he'd call up in September (insider required for full article):
    Miguel Sano | 3B | Minnesota Twins

Sano, 20, is one of the best right-handed power hitting prospects in all of baseball. Heís belted 33 home runs between across high-A and Double-A, and he showed at the lower level that he can hit for average, putting up a slash line of .330/.424/.655. Strikeouts have been a problem for him at Double-A, but he's still slugging .574, and his defense at third (particularly his throwing) has really improved, and heís certainly capable of making the jump to the major leagues next year.

Prospect I would call up in September - ESPN

Blog Entries
    I've advocated moving him to AAA for the playoff race there. Now that we know Sano isn't going to the AFL, I can see an argument for this as well. However, we've basically heard from the Twins and TR that it isn't likely.

Timeline:
    1 month ML service time in Sept
    Start 2014 in AAA
    Late-July call up to ML
    Buxton just behind him somewhere between late-July to Sept

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 339 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    I've advocated moving him to AAA for the playoff race there. Now that we know Sano isn't going to the AFL, I can see an argument for this as well. However, we've basically heard from the Twins and TR that it isn't likely.

Timeline:
    Start 2014 in AAA
    Late-July call up to ML
    Sano wasn't eligible for the AFL. Given the Twins' aggressive, all-in, AFL roster, though, I'm optimistic that they will give Sano a September call-up and then call him up from Rochester in June right after passing the Arb 2 threshold, ala Wil Myers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
    I could see them pushing him to AAA but I don't think they'll burn an option year for one month and start his clock.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 146 Times in 75 Posts
    But but what do we do with Plouffie?
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    I was on the fence. Now I'm off. Bowden is a crazy old blowhard who likes to hear himself ramble. Logic tells me it is best to do the opposite of what he advocates. Demote him back to Ft. Myers.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 290 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Makes sense considering that he is not going to the AFL. Trade Willy. Move Arcia to left and Plouffe to right.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 310 Times in 185 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A few years ago I could make a sarcastic statement along the lines of that's how you get fired by the nationals... but they went got good, which kind of ruins it.

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    Sano will not be promoted as a Sept call up if Terry Ryan values all his 40-man roster spots, and I think he does. Sano won't be added until he has to be.
    I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamsonshands.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @dose17

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdosen View Post
    Sano will not be promoted as a Sept call up if Terry Ryan values all his 40-man roster spots, and I think he does. Sano won't be added until he has to be.
    Any one of DeVries, Hermsen, Bernier, Ramirez, and Clete could be removed from the 40-man if they wanted to give Sano some MLB time. The only concern could be Rule 5 time, but they should have enough spots to protect guys between removing those 5, Morneau's free agency, and the possibility of trades both now and then.

I'm not saying they absolutely should call him up, but I do believe they should do whatever they think would be best for the development of Miguel Sano and not worry about the roster spot.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post

Timeline:
    Start 2014 in AAA
    Late-July call up to ML
    Totally agree. If Sano doesn't come up for a cuppa in September, then send him to Rochester, help stack that team for its playoff run. I'd rather see that, anyway. Let the kid have some fun in a minor league playoff!

Rule of thumb Number #1 for the Twins - NEVER LISTEN TO ESPN'S ADVICE. (Yes this is also rule #1 for the Royals too)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    I said it before and will say it again.
    Nothing good can happen it you promote Sano this sept

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sano will play winter ball, come to spring training with the Twins (probably as invite) and be sent to Rochester. Call up in mid 2014 (assuming he crushes in Rochester).

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So much negativity. Every one of you who are saying he shouldn't be promoted, probably also agree he should be the starting 3b after the arb. deadline passes. Soooo, the difference is a month of AAA? I say call him up and let him get a taste. He can still start in AAA next year while the Twins let Plouffe try to show his worth one last time (is he injured again? WTF is wrong with him right now?).

Depending on how much Terry Ryan commits to winning this offseason, leaving Sano in AAA more than a month could be a big mistake. Unless everyone here is willing to punt 2014 and look to another 90 loss season, Sano (and Rosario, maybe Meyer) will be apart of the Twins sooner than later. I'm not sure what they would have to do to give him a September call-up and still get that extra year of control. I don't feel like digging through the numbers right now.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    If they add him to the 40 would they lose a year of team control or does it just start the arbitation clock? If they would lose a year of team control, I say promote him to AAA. I would rather have a full year of Sano at age 27 than a month of Sano at 20. If it just starts that arbitration clock, then call him up. If he is a super 2 or not, does it really matter? Hopefully they are smart and buy out his arbitration years before that even comes into play like Tampa did with Longoria.

Sano will be playing winter ball somewhere.

He doesn't need to be added to the 40-man and doubt that the Twins will do it this off-season, but they will invite him to major league camp.

If added to the 40-man, it will be during the season. They'll still want him to work on stuff at AA/AAA next year.

Sadly, the Twins will make many 40-man wrong decisions this fall. Just to keep options open and the clock ticking. And instead of a glorious 2015, we will start to think maybe 2016.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Sadly, the Twins will make many 40-man wrong decisions this fall.
    Personally I'm saving my FO-analysis on this topic for after they make their choices, not before.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 310 Times in 185 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I fail to see how adding him to the 40 this year is the right decision... I really do. He's improved in AA, but he still has some issues to work on. I'd much rather him work some of those out in the minors than in the majors. That's just good business practice. He'll likely be up soon enough next year. Either he will force it or Plouffe will. I'm quite fine with letting that situation work itself out in 2014.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Makes sense considering that he is not going to the AFL.
    While he's not eligible for the AFL, it's because the Dominican winter league is an option for him, if he and/or the Twins want him to get more work in. I think it's a high level of competition. The lack of AFL for him ought not to drive any decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Trade Willy.
    thumb_1253295880.jpg

(... to a good home.)
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 08-29-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast