Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bowden: Call Up Sano

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    But but what do we do with Plouffie?
    Trade him if you can. Babe Plouffe has turned into baby plouffe (cap intentional)

Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I fail to see how adding him to the 40 this year is the right decision... I really do. He's improved in AA, but he still has some issues to work on. I'd much rather him work some of those out in the minors than in the majors. That's just good business practice. He'll likely be up soon enough next year. Either he will force it or Plouffe will. I'm quite fine with letting that situation work itself out in 2014.
    I would like to see what we have with Romero before bringing Sano up.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Personally I'm saving my FO-analysis on this topic for after they make their choices, not before.
    Can we at least start complaining about free agent signings?

I think the moral of the story is Jim Bowden says a lot of things and, if he were any good at building a baseball team, he'd be working in a front office and not writing for a website (no offense, Twins Daily writers. You guys are great).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Sano to Rochestor, Romero to MN, Plouffe to the bench or DH or RF or St. Paul....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zenser View Post
    If they add him to the 40 would they lose a year of team control or does it just start the arbitation clock? If they would lose a year of team control, I say promote him to AAA. I would rather have a full year of Sano at age 27 than a month of Sano at 20. If it just starts that arbitration clock, then call him up. If he is a super 2 or not, does it really matter?
    A month in September won't affect team control or any of that.

If he sticks in MLB next spring, it's irrelevant. Players called up prior to roughly June can be subject to Super 2 if they have no other MLB service time. So, if he starts in AAA, the Twins would have to tack on a month to that in order to avoid Super 2 status.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    send him to Rochester, help stack that team for its playoff run. I'd rather see that, anyway. Let the kid have some fun in a minor league playoff!
    I much prefer this to the call up, as fun as it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by orangevening View Post
    I would like to see what we have with Romero before bringing Sano up.
    I would not. The length of time to truly evaluate Romero as a 3B at the MLB level is long beyond the time frame I expect to see Sano with the letters M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A across his chest and we're still in the midst of that process with Plouffe.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    The length of time to truly evaluate Romero as a 3B at the MLB level is long
    Does he profile as any better than below-average on offense and below-average on defense as a third-baseman? I don't understand the love. Give him his cuppa, plus a fair shake in spring training, maybe lightning strikes - but that's all, I wouldn't go giving him much benefit of the doubt after that.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 134 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does he profile as any better than below-average on offense and below-average on defense as a third-baseman? I don't understand the love. Give him his cuppa, plus a fair shake in spring training, maybe lightning strikes - but that's all, I wouldn't go giving him much benefit of the doubt after that.
    From what I've seen and read, Romero is Danny Valencia without the attitude and the juicing friends. That is probably just as good, but no better, than Plouffe, with no real hope of being anything more than (the dreaded) replacement level.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 134 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Sano to Rochestor, Romero to MN, Plouffe to the bench or DH or RF or St. Paul....
    My patience with Plouffe is about gone. He is a totally different player, but he reminds me of Casilla. He'll frustrate you to the nth degree and then do something good for a couple of days. In Alexi's case, he would hit a little bit and steal bases and play great defense. In Plouffe's case, it is power.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 78 Times in 41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by terencemann View Post
    I think the moral of the story is Jim Bowden says a lot of things and, if he were any good at building a baseball team, he'd be working in a front office and not writing for a website (no offense, Twins Daily writers. You guys are great).
    You mean the same Jim Bowden that was named MLB Executive of the Year in 1999 after drafting and trading for an exceptional young nucleus in Cincinnati that won 96 games with one of the leagues lowest payrolls?

Or do you mean the Jim Bowden that took over the Expos as they became the Nationals and built the foundation for a respectable team from the ruins of what was the laughable Expos roster when he took over?

Jim Bowden knows plenty about building a good baseball team. He's in a broadcast booth right now because he was the fall guy for scouts in Latin America that were skimming bonuses.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You have a point, but given the exact profile that you outlined the best outcome is basically Danny Valencia part deux. Nice in a small sample which drags the Twins (and fans) into falsely thinking we have a piece of the solution.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
    Since I'm not a Front Office guy, I'm gonna disregard the 40-man and Arbitration/FA ramifications and say bring Sano up for a taste in September. I see one or more of four possible outcomes in doing so, and only one of them is negative.

1) A dream scenario, where he steps right in and proves he belongs.

2) He struggles, but is able to experience the big league lifestyle and see first hand the challenges that lie ahead. Realizing exactly who and what is in front of him, he could redouble his efforts to seize the opportunity that may be available to him as early as next spring.

3) He gets humbled by MLB pitching. With his purported cockiness, it could give him a cold splash in the face and again lead him to intensify his efforts to get back for good.

4) He stinks up the joint, loses all faith and becomes a crackhead. Melodramatic? Okay. Seriously though, prospects have been stunted by rushing them, no doubt. But with what I've seen (El Poletero) and read about him, I find this highly doubtful.

Finally, another factor to consider is the state of the fanbase. With the Morneau trade and injuries to Mauer and Arcia, the club is obviously just playing out the string. With an active roster that consists of maybe one player (Dozier) who could crack the starting line-up of one of the play-off contenders, we need a shot in the arm. Getting a glimpse of someone who will without a doubt, be a part of our next nucleus at some point could be about the only move that they have left. We fans need something besides Youtube highlights and scouting reports to keep us invested.
    Last edited by mudcat14; 09-02-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12