Thread: Article: Five Overlooked Twins Minor League Hitters in 2013

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Five Overlooked Twins Minor League Hitters in 2013

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Seth, if Beresford is one of the best defensive SS in the system, any idea why has he played exclusively 2B at Rochester?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SydneyTwinsFan View Post
    Seth, if Beresford is one of the best defensive SS in the system, any idea why has he played exclusively 2B at Rochester?
    Very good, very fair question. First, I probably meant to type "Middle Infielder" instead of "Shortstop," but since I put SS, I'll just say that Danny Santana is not overlooked or undervalued and they're going to go with him at shortstop. I'm not sure why he hasn't played SS at Rochester though. Strangely, in big league spring training, he really only played 3B.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Could Romero be a Sept callup?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    JD Williams is an interesting prospect. Very fast with a good OB% as you noted.
    If he was in other organizations, he would be getting some hype. But he has been overshadowed by people like Hicks and now Buxton. Hes a guy who is probably looking forward to becoming a Minor League FA

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I think it makes much more sense than calling up Sano. They know what they probably have in Sano long-term. They may want to look at Romero at 3B and some 1B possibly and see how he does. Like others at Rochester, doesn't make sense to call him up until after the Red Wings are done (could be Labor Day, or they could make the playoffs).

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 104 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think all five of these guys have a shot to wear a Major League uniform, but I suspect every one of them will need to do it with another organization.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Very good, very fair question. First, I probably meant to type "Middle Infielder" instead of "Shortstop," but since I put SS, I'll just say that Danny Santana is not overlooked or undervalued and they're going to go with him at shortstop. I'm not sure why he hasn't played SS at Rochester though. Strangely, in big league spring training, he really only played 3B.
    His future is utility man so it probably makes sense for him to have played 2B and 3B quite a bit before getting to the majors.

Senior Member Double-A
    His future is utility man so it probably makes sense for him to have played 2B and 3B quite a bit before getting to the majors.
    Good point. I hadn't really considered that, but it makes sense to me.

Start the coffee machine

Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Yes, please. Start the Mr. Coffee and get him up here. Just so sick of watching Plouffe fumble around out there. Fumbling around at 3rd can be tolerated if the bat makes up for it, but...... whew.

Blog Entries
    After last night I would be happy to call anyone up to replace Plough

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I like all five. Grimes has been moved back to second of late--not sure why.

Romero definitely deserves a shot. He is yet another guy who can also play first base. If the Twins are not going to find a place to platoon Parmelee and Plouffe, I would like to see Plouffe traded at some point for some thing. Given his price and power potential, the return might not be too bad. Romero can fill in and maybe end up being the real "bench bat with pop" that Wilkin Ramirez was supposed to be this year.

I have been puzzled by them not playing Beresford at SS. I cannot imagine that this is just some innocuous thing. I mean he barely has played there at all this year and there is no reason for him not to be the starting shortstop at Rochester. It seems obvious that he can handle second base at a high level. Beresford is either a utility guy (post Dozier?) or a starting shortstop on a powerful team (one with Sano and Rosario also in the infield . . .).

J.D. Williams is a favorite of mine and I hope he basically mimic this season's performance next year and is at AA in August 2014. Down the road he might be the perfect 4th OF (once the Twins actually have three).

I am not high on Larson yet. There isn't a lot there, ultimately, but he has been surprising so far.

The thing is these are the roster fillers, AAAA guys the Twins should be looking at other than Bernier, Thomas, Roeincke etc.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Rosterman is correct, but maybe they are leaving the Rochester guys there to help out Rochester....not that I agree with that approach, but its my theory.

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    The thing is these are the roster fillers, AAAA guys the Twins should be looking at other than Bernier, Thomas, Roeincke etc.
    Especially Beresford over Bernier.

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 104 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Yeah, I like all five. Grimes has been moved back to second of late--not sure why.
    The answer is a combination of need and wanting to give some regulars a rest. Jake Mauer wanted to give his regular infielders some rest in the last 2 weeks before the playoffs start and since the Kernels have three catchers, Grimes started taking some balls at 2B. Then both Polanco and Goodrum went on the DL with groin pulls.

Grimes has actually looked pretty decent at 2B.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Beresford has a higher BA than Bernier by a small margin (.295 to .305) and Bernier has a higher OPS (.778 to .709), so I understand why they called Bernier up. That, and Beresford has only played 4 games this year at SS.

Why do they move all their young SS to 2B? I get not all of them are great, but what do we have, 6 2B now? Someone has to play SS. With Dozier playing well and Rosario coming, how many 2B, with very limited SS experience, do we need?

This organization's insistence on moving all drafted SS to 2B is a puzzle to me. At least Escobar is getting some games in a SS while he's down there.
    And he, I believe, is our utility guy for the near future. (is he doesn't outright take SS from Pedro)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
    I would call up Romero and see what he has in September. Let Plouffe get some ABs as an OF (especially if the Twins can move Willingham) and see if he can have a Michael Cuddyer type transformation. He cannot be the Opening Day 3B next year. See if Romero can be serviceable and an adequate placeholder until Sano arrives in early June.

Next year's 1B Colabello. OF could be a defensive train wreck (Plouffe, Arcia, Parmalee if Hicks or Buxton are still in the minors). Ellsbury???

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    Nice write-up. It seems there are always a few guys for one reason or another end up making it where there more heralded brethren do not.

Yes, we always talk about the top prospects, but so many on-the-line guys do get a cup of coffee with the Twins or elsewhere (Brock Peterson made the majors this year, go figure). I am an advocate that the Twins should give more of their organizational guys that cup-of-coffee (Brian Dinkelman had his moment, remember).

Wondering about next year's injury returns: Deolis Guerra and Lester Oliveros. Where will they be in the scheme of things.

Remembering Anthony Slama!?!
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast