Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Updated 2014 Lineup Projection

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    diehard has it correct. The only thing I would add is Hermann to the bench as Doumit and Mauer will be starting most games.

Dozier - 2B
    Pressley/Mastro - CF
    Mauer - C
    Willingham - LF
    Doumit - DH
    Arcia - RF
    Plouffe - 3b
    Parmelee - 1B
    Florimon - SS

Bench - Escobar, Hermann, Colabello, Pressley/Mastro

Hermann will make the 25 man as Doumit and Mauer will be starting together in most games. Escobar can backup 2B, SS, and 3B, Colabello 1B and OF.

If Pinto does well at AAA to start next year he will be up in June/July if Doumit gets traded. If Hicks does well he will also be in the Majors again in June/July if Willingham gets traded. If Willingham doesn't get traded, Hicks could still be up to take over CF depending on how Pressley/Mastro are playing. Sano will come up in July, unless Plouffe is playing out of his mind. Plouffe can fill the void at DH from Doumit's departure or take over at 1B if Parmelee isn't producing. Rosario is another player I could see making his debut just a matter of where; OF, 2B, SS?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries
    DFA Ramirez? He has one of the highest BA on our team, second only to Mauer.

Short of some major adjustment, Plouffe will not find a starting job on any MLB team. For the second half of the 2013 season he currently ranks 22 of 22 qualified 3B in MLB in BA, OBP and SLG (and, naturally, WAR). He is a talented guy. Something has to be found and corrected.

Eduardo Escobar will be on the bench or at 3B. He will hit better than Colabello, Herrmann, Mastro, Florimon or Parmelee are hitting now. Of course, they should all hit better, too.

No way does Hicks start the year in MLB. He has some things to work on in AAA, like his .660 OPS.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    SP - Tanaka, Gibson, Worley, Correia, Deduno
    Do you think Ryan would go for a rotation full of righties?

Correia could try throwing lefty once in a while too. If you pitch to contact does it matter what arm you throw with?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    DFA Ramirez? He has one of the highest BA on our team, second only to Mauer.

Short of some major adjustment, Plouffe will not find a starting job on any MLB team. For the second half of the 2013 season he currently ranks 22 of 22 qualified 3B in MLB in BA, OBP and SLG (and, naturally, WAR). He is a talented guy. Something has to be found and corrected.

Eduardo Escobar will be on the bench or at 3B. He will hit better than Colabello, Herrmann, Mastro, Florimon or Parmelee are hitting now. Of course, they should all hit better, too.

No way does Hicks start the year in MLB. He has some things to work on in AAA, like his .660 OPS.
    Ramirez also has a SLG% that would make Ben Revere blush. There is more to baseball than just batting average. You can't have a corner outfielder with NO power, unless he can steal 40+ bases, or plays GG defense, neither of which Ramirez does.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    Do you think Ryan would go for a rotation full of righties?
    Permanently? Probably not. For the beginning of 2014, I don't see the problem. KC will likely be traded, and I honestly expect failure from at least one of Deduno or Worley. If they both do well, I could see someone getting flipped if Meyer, May, and Darnel are beating down Rochester.

Obviously, I'm dreaming a bit on Tanaka. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Phil Hughes type guy too or even someone less, I'm just holding out some (ir)rational hope.

Member Single-A
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    After looking at all the projected line-ups for 2014 on this thread, I am truly sick to my stomach....TR has to do something in the off season right?? Is there another 90+ loss season in the works for 2014?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyriolo View Post
    After looking at all the projected line-ups for 2014 on this thread, I am truly sick to my stomach....TR has to do something in the off season right?? Is there another 90+ loss season in the works for 2014?
    Is there a way to avoid 90 losses, allow the youngsters to play and still make Ryan comfortable? To me that is the key question.

Some of the lineups I'm seeing would be the worst in Twins history for opening day. Nobody should be that pessimistic.

Opening Day
    1B: Mauer
    2B: Dozier
    SS: Florimon
    3B: Plouffe
    C: Pinto
    LF: Willingham
    RF: Arcia
    CF: Presley
    DH: Doumit

Mid-Season
    3B: Sano
    LF: Arcia/Rosario
    RF: Arcia/Rosario
    CF: Hicks
    DH: Willingham

September
    3B: Sano
    LF: Rosario
    RF: Hicks
    CF: Buxton
    DH: Arcia

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 132 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries
    First point, the lynchpin is Mauer. If he's at first, then Doumit probably starts the season as the primary catcher. If he is the catcher, then first base needs to be filled. I still expect Mauer to be the primary first baseman. Secondly, Mauer probably hits #3 next year with Presley leading off and Dozier batting second.

I'll call it Mauer at first:

1) Presley cf
    2) Dozier 2b
    3) Mauer 1b
    4) Willingham dh
    5) Arcia lf
    6) Doumit c
    7) Plouffe 3b
    8) Parmelee or FA rf
    9) Florimon ss

Of course, I expect changes. Doumit should be gone by the deadline if not before, Sano should replace Plouffe as soon as his Super 2 eligibility is gone, maybe before. I expect that Hicks should be back and starting before midseason. I have said that Parm will start in right, but it could be almost anyone including a free agent.I would like to see the Twins acquire somebody like Kendrys Morales, which would cover first if Mauer catches or make him the primary DH if Joe moves to first.
    Last edited by stringer bell; 10-21-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Here's what I hope our lineup looks like:
    1. Jacoby Ellsbury CF (signed 5yrs 70mil
    2. Brandon Phillips 2B (Trade)
    3. Joe Mauer 1B
    4. Josh Willingham DH
    5. Miguel Sano 3B
    6. Oswaldo Arcia LF
    7. Ryan Doumit RF
    8. Josmil Pinto C
    9. Yunel Escobar SS (Signed 1yr 3mil)
    Trade Details:Twins
    3B Trevor Plouffe
    3B Travis Harrison
    C Matt Koch
    SP Jose Berrios
    2B Brian Dozier
    For
    Reds
    SP Homer Bailey
    2B Brandon Phillips
    Reasons why for this trade
    The Reds are starting to rebuild again so they want young players, they need a third basemen so Plouffe for now and Harrison for the future,
    The Reds want a Young star, Brian Dozier who's value is high. Matt Koch and Jose Berrios are just extras to make the Reds want to exept. For us it benefits our rotation and gives us a monster at second base, Brandon Phillips!

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 132 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Brandon Phillips is a lot closer to finished than a monster. He will be 33 before midseason and he only OPSed .701 last year. The Twins won't contend until they have pitching, so why spend their money on Phillips.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd welcome the trade, but I don't believe we could get them for that group of players.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by #24 Sano View Post
    Here's what I hope our lineup looks like:
    1. Jacoby Ellsbury CF (signed 5yrs 70mil
    2. Brandon Phillips 2B (Trade)
    3. Joe Mauer 1B
    4. Josh Willingham DH
    5. Miguel Sano 3B
    6. Oswaldo Arcia LF
    7. Ryan Doumit RF
    8. Josmil Pinto C
    9. Yunel Escobar SS (Signed 1yr 3mil)
    Trade Details:Twins
    3B Trevor Plouffe
    3B Travis Harrison
    C Matt Koch
    SP Jose Berrios
    2B Brian Dozier
    For
    Reds
    SP Homer Bailey
    2B Brandon Phillips
    Reasons why for this trade
    The Reds are starting to rebuild again so they want young players, they need a third basemen so Plouffe for now and Harrison for the future,
    The Reds want a Young star, Brian Dozier who's value is high. Matt Koch and Jose Berrios are just extras to make the Reds want to exept. For us it benefits our rotation and gives us a monster at second base, Brandon Phillips!
    Lmao seriously. Lets trade for an expensive aging star at the 1 position we are about to be 2 deep at, 2B. You realize this rotation will be terrible next year also. Escobar is barely a better hitter than Florimon & not much better defensively.

Dozier hopefully will be traded by the deadline for pitching even if Perkins or a B level pitching prospect needs to be included.

My bad...
    I did forget to mention this trade won't work if we don't sign good fa pitchers wink, wink (Masahiro Tanaka, Ervin Santana)
    Rotation then would be
    1.Santana
    2.Tanaka
    3.Bailey
    4.Deduno
    5.Correia

Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    I think Brandon Phillips is a lot closer to finished than a monster. He will be 33 before midseason and he only OPSed .701 last year. The Twins won't contend until they have pitching, so why spend their money on Phillips.
    I should rephrase "monster" but what I was saying is he is a great player and a 3 time gold glover, an All star, he puts up solid offensive numbers and he brings a great presence in the clubhouse, a lot of people like his personality and how much fun he has out there on the field every day.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Still believe and hope the Twins wind up with Johnson and another decent FA (please not Hughes). My thoughts
    C - Pinto
    1B - Mauer
    2B - Dozier
    SS - Florimon
    3B - Plouffe - at least to start, may well play his way out of a full time starter.
    LF - Arcia
    RF - Doumit
    CF - Pressley
    DH - Willingham

OF - Mastro
    IF - Escobar
    IF/OF Parmalee

13 pitchers
    1. Corerria
    2. Gibson
    3. FA - 1
    4. FA -2
    5. Deduno/Albers/Diamond

RP - Perkins
    RP - Tonkin
    RP - Thiebar
    RP - Swarzak
    RP - Duensing
    RP - Burton
    RP - Fien
    RP - Long relief one of losers for the #5 slot

Here is what I would like to see. It is low risk and would improve the team.

If they decide to play Mauer at C - 1B/DH Kendry Morales or James Loney. Either guy could be had on a reasonable 3 year deal. (3/23-26) Hopefully, Harrison is ready to be our 1B by 2016.

If they decide to play Mauer at 1st – OF Nate McLouth or David Murphy. McLouth probably gets a 3 year deal. I am not sure on Murphy. I would try to overpay a little on a 2 year deal given the depth of OFs in the minors. Either would be a good option to shore up our outfield until we figure out if Hicks can play at the ML level and also what we end up doing with Rosario.

Any of these moves would still allow us plenty of budget to work on the rotation.

2B – Twins mgmt is not going to change the only thing that worked really last year. Get Rosario up here when he is ready and let him play a little 2nd and the rest of his time in the outfield and see what we have.

3B - It makes no sense to do anything with Sano close to the ML. And, I still hold on to the unrealistic hope Plouffe will put it together like Dozier did last year. 3B is a hard to fill position and Plouffe could bring a good SP prospect if he were to break out at least a little.

SS – Florimon was very good defensively and he has not had enough big league ABs to write him off defensively. It is worth one more season to see if he can develop into a league average bat. We can’t keep complaining about the Twins selling low and then complain about them giving a guy a chance.

CF – Presley holds the job until Hicks is ready. Buxton takes over for him whenever he is ready and Hicks takes a corner OF position if his bat plays. He could end up a 4th outfielder but I would bet he comes around.

OF/DH – Willingham will be traded by the deadline unless he is so bad that nobody will take him regardless of the return. Rosario could fill that spot when he goes. I could see an outfield of Hicks / McLouth or Murphy / Arcia / Rosario. Arcia would be primarily a DH once Willingham departs.

Likely opening day lineup
    1. Dozier 2B
    2. Presley CF
    3. Mauer C
    4. Willingham DH
    5. Arcia LF
    6. Plouffe 3B
    7. Parmelee 1B
    8. Mastroianni RF
    9. Florimon SS

-Herrmann
    -Doumit
    -Skip Schumaker (perhaps a good and versatile bench option)
    -Escobar

Season's End
    1. Buxton CF
    2. Dozier 2B
    3. Mauer C (still have faith in his physical ability)
    4. Sano 3B
    5. Arcia RF
    6. Rosario LF
    7. Plouffe 1B
    8. Pinto DH (with a lot of rotation)
    9. Florimon SS

-Herrmann
    -Mastroianni / Presley
    -Schumaker
    -Escobar

Notes:
    -I would prefer to aggressively pursue Pete Kozma instead of Florimon
    -In this scenario Hicks is traded after a productive middle of the season but with no place to play, no contention in the division, and an opportunity for SP.
    -Because of impending free agency and no contention for a playoff spot, Willingham and Doumit traded midseason for the turnover to youth (trade fodder of Hammer, Doumit, and Hicks should allow plenty of opportunity for improvement through trade while also protecting most prospects).
    -Depending on the development of the rotation, this should be an interesting team to watch.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast