Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins' Rotation Is Out of Whack

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins' Rotation Is Out of Whack

Meyer, May, Dean, Logan, Bromberg (wait, he;'s gone), Hermsen. The return of DeVries. P.J. could be around and around again.

Looks good enough to stay out of the free agent marketplace.

Unless they resign Blackburn.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hope Twins sign some upper level FA pitchers. This group just will not do it.

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We need to "find" starters from what we have. Last night Hernandez gave us a complete game. Diamond has been good in Rochester. Lets see what he does in the playoffs. Gibson will be a year older and hopefully wiser. The season isn't over yet. Lets see what Hendriks and Albers give us. Don't count on Deduno. His sore arm could end "effectively wild" career.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really hope Terry Ryan puts some money into the rotation. There really isn't much high potential in that entire group. I can see legitimate starters in Correia, Hendriks, Diamond, Worley. Problem is that each of those guys would likely be a 5th starter or bubble guy in many rotations.... and that is them performing to their ability, any slip and you get 2013 versions of Worley and Diamond. Not good. The only way out of this mess is if Gibson, Meyer and May all develop to their ceilings or a few good FA acquisitions. I don't want another 90 loss season in 2014....

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think it is so much about money in 2014. The FA pitchers are horrible, for the most part. The Twins are going to have to work with what they have.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 58 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I bet the Twins resign Pelfry. He's been an ok pitcher the last few months. That gives the rotation 3 ok starters for next season assuming Dedunno comes back. and I am counting Corriea and the other ok starter. Meyer should be up at some point so the beginning of the season would be a tryout for 2 starting pitchers until Meyer is ready unless the Twins go out and sign another pitcher. With the bullpen as good as it is the Twins just need pitchers that can pitch 5-6 ok innings per game occasionally going longer to give the pen a rest. The Twins were banking on a better offense this season to get us to .500. I feel like we will still be one starter short next year though.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I see Deduno has likely having some serious arm trouble and would be out of the picture.

I would want the Twins to pursue one of the top 3-4 FA pitchers, throw money at one of them, and then hope for the best. I would NOT want them to try two mediocre pitchers again.

Blog Entries
    Pelfrey? Pelfrey? He has been merely ok for the past month after being TERRIBLE for much of the season. I am flabbergasted every time someone mentions resigning complete mediocrity or worse for millions of bucks. The Twins can toss that out there for the league minimum and also hope that one or two of them turns the corner (Gibson and Worley or Hendriks).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Pelfrey? Pelfrey? He has been merely ok for the past month after being TERRIBLE for much of the season. I am flabbergasted every time someone mentions resigning complete mediocrity or worse for millions of bucks. The Twins can toss that out there for the league minimum and also hope that one or two of them turns the corner (Gibson and Worley or Hendriks).
    This. 1000x this.

The Twins don't need any more #4 or #5 starters, they already have more than a whole rotations worth of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's time to spend some of that money they say they have and fix the freakin' problem, or at least atttempt to fix the problem in a way they really have never tried before, because the way they've always done it is what got them here in the first place.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

They should sign one quality starter (expensive), maybe take a flier on 1-2 guys w/ upside. Then they should pray.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Right, if you are going crappy, go with the cheap AAA pitchers, don't sign bad veterans that have proven they are bad. I'd rather Swarzak get another shot than watch KC, Pelfry, Marquis v2.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by blindeke View Post
    They should sign one quality starter (expensive), maybe take a flier on 1-2 guys w/ upside. Then they should pray.
    Great 4th post!
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post

The Twins don't need any more #4 or #5 starters, they already have more than a whole rotations worth of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Actually, if the Twins had a rotation of true MLB 4-5 starters, they'd be close to .500.

This lot is more like 6-7 starters.

As Pelfrey's fastball velocity has returned to the mid 90s, he has gotten better results. He would be worth keeping at the right price. (Remember, this guy was on the same timetable roughly as Scott Baker, who is just now getting his feet wet again in A ball.)

Blog Entries
    I am more ok with rolling the dice (eventually) with pitchers who COULD be 2s or 3s for a good team--Meyer, Gibson, and May--then I have been with rolling the dice to find out who could be a 5th starter for a good team.

Clearly Meyer is going to be on an innings limit next year. If he can manage to get back to 2012 numbers through the AFL and whatever else, they can build towards 150-160. Now, DEAR GOD, can I get a witness on this now . . . don't do with Meyer what they did with Gibson this year. Do NOT do that. 100 innings for the Twins is what I want. There's a way to, you know, limit innings in AAA. Christ, this year's Albers might be Pat Dean down there next year, so let Pat Dean be Meyer's personal long relief guy. Hopefully the Twins can roll with Gibson, May, and Meyer all together by July 1st. Maybe Diamond's injury is figured out. Correia returns to mediocrity. Keep Hendriks and Hernandez around and shed more oldster AAA pitching. Give Darnell a try if things get that far in the toilet. These later three are young enough and have a modicum of upside. No more multi-millions spent on aging, declining pitchers who have no future in baseball.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's pretty bad that even our most encouraging MLB starter performance from 2013 (Deduno) posted 3.4 BB/9 and only 5.6 K/9.

And our next most encouraging is Mike Pelfrey, who's had a strong second half to boost his ERA+ to 84. I'm sure now that he's fully recovered, we will see that figure continue climbing all the way up to his career mark of... 91.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    MBL and NPB have already started negotiations that would cap posting fees for players. The resuilt of this would be that when high profile arms like Tanaka post, multiple teams can win the right to compete with each other over salary (posting fees don't count against the luxury tax, salaries do).

We are all well aware that TR doesn't like to outbid other teams on FAs. So if Tanaka elects to post this winter (every indication is that he will) then it could be his only chance to get exclusive bargaining rights with one of these aces from Japan.

They need to make that happen. They need to win Tanaka's posting auction.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    I believe the Twins' got what they expected from Correia. I also believe that they like what they see from Pelfrey and will re-sign him. Remember the Pelfrey is only 18 months removed from TJ Surgery. Is performance is very similar to Nathan's (struggled the 1st half of the season and performed very well in the 2nd half).

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What free agent should the Twins go after? The market for starters this year is the same as last year, basically junk. Last year there were 2 good startes available, Greinke and Sanchez, and neither were coming anywhere near the Twins unless we gave them offers that were so ridiculous they couldn't say no. This year you have Ervin Santana and Matt Garza. @ more guys that you would have to overpay to come here. The rest of ot is a scrap heap of guys who will make more than they deserve. The Twins line-up is about 2 years away from being talented enough and experienced enough to possibly contend. Why waste money now of overpriced free agent pitching so we can win 72 ball games next year instead of 68. Let the young guys like Sano, Hicks, Arcia, Dozier, Rosario, Pinto and Buxton play next year and gain experience. Let Diamond, Worley, Hendricks, and Deduno work thru things and see who can make it. Let May, Meyer and Gibson get their taste. Get to 2015 and you might have an idea who is major league quality and have a lineup that is just seasoned enough to make some noise. Contending and winning championships is why I am a fan. I still watch most games but this time of year I could care less about wins. I am watching to see how the young guys perform and develop. I could care less if we avoid 100 losses or whatever nonsense the media writes about at this time of year. Honestly, if 100 losses would get a higher pick with a higher ceiling, it wouldn't bother me at all.

Senior Member MVP
    In 91 the Twins were coming off a terrible year, and signed two high priced FAs and won the world series......you should always be trying to make your team better.

Gibson is over 25, he should not be getting a "taste" next year.
    Pelfrey, before the injury, was not a very good pitcher, as pointed out above.

You can add a good player next year, w/o blocking a legit prospect.
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast