2B Dozier
    DH Willingham
    3B Plouffe
    RF Arcia
    1B Colabello
    C Pinto
    SS Florimon

Things to Think About:

1. Umm... Think about things to think about... I'm struggling right now with thought number one... How am I gonna come up with 5.

2. Think about Kevin Correia... I know... A large percentage of Twins Daily followers have a distaste for Kevin Correia... I don't hate him and I've appreciated him. He's taken the ball every 5th day... He's had some real nice starts and a bunch of average starts and a couple of stinkers... About what I expected and I happy with that. I wasn't thinking he'd pitch like Kershaw and he has been much better than Blackburn... Correia would look a lot better with better arms around him in the rotation.

3. Think about Joe Mauer... Still not back from his concussion... Still no timetable for his return... No Setbacks reported... I guess he's just sitting around taking it day by day and hanging out with his new born Twins.

4. Think about Ron Gardenhire... He needs 7 wins to reach 1,000... 23 Games left to play... If he doesn't do it this year... He may not do it... He'll probably be back... but who knows... He might not be back. I'd like to see him get there.

5. Think about Flashlights... They make great holders for dead batteries. They fit perfectly.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 142 Times in 74 Posts
    6. Think about Alex Presley.
    Last night I nearly spit out my beverage as Dick tried to comp him to Nate McLouth. He made the lazy assumption that because he appears to have some speed, he must be able to steal bases.
    After getting thrown out to end the game last night, Presley is now 19 for 34 in SB attempts for his career, a downright awful rate.(McLouth is 128 for 150). A rate so terrible, that he should have a permanent stop sign if he's on base.
    In fact, why is such a terrible baserunner even sent as the final out of the game last night, with our best (active) hitter coming to the plate as the winning run?
    So, for the 3rd time in a week, I ask again for someone to explain how Gardy is not responsible for any of our W/L record, with such questionable decisions?

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,935 Times in 1,135 Posts
    oy.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,304 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    In fact, why is such a terrible baserunner even sent as the final out of the game last night, with our best (active) hitter coming to the plate as the winning run?
    2013 is a season for finding out what we've got. Sending the runner with 2 strikes and 1 out doesn't strike me as crazy strategy, trying to get a guy in scoring position for your good batter coming next - play for the tie at home, and all that jazz. You do need the right runner for it, as you point out. Bad track record for getting SB, but good speed, maybe the coaching staff thinks they can work on it with him. Fire Gardy for this, you probably fire most of the managers in the league at some point.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    3. Think about Joe Mauer... Still not back from his concussion... Still no timetable for his return... No Setbacks reported... I guess he's just sitting around taking it day by day and hanging out with his new born Twins.
    7. Think about all the concussions those Warner Brothers cartoon characters got, and the silly buzzing/guh-guh-guh sound they would make shaking their heads trying to shake off the effects. I picture Mauer trying to do just about this.

8. How *do* you spell that head-shaking sound they make in those cartoons? Disappointingly, a YouTube search of cartoon head-shaking didn't turn up what I wanted.

9. Lipstick.

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Think about Rochester in the playoffs. You can follow the game >>HERE

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 142 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    2013 is a season for finding out what we've got. Sending the runner with 2 strikes and 1 out doesn't strike me as crazy strategy, trying to get a guy in scoring position for your good batter coming next - play for the tie at home, and all that jazz. You do need the right runner for it, as you point out. Bad track record for getting SB, but good speed, maybe the coaching staff thinks they can work on it with him. Fire Gardy for this, you probably fire most of the managers in the league at some point.
    I don't believe I said that.

I don't think "most managers in the league" are sending a guy who gets thrown out nearly half the time in that situation. In fact it would seem a pretty standard situation to put up the stop sign.

Dozier has quite a bit of XBH's on the season, and especially in the 2nd half, so you don't need Presley in scoring position to tie the game.
    Putting the stop sign on with a guy barely above 50% success rate, and your best hitter coming up seems like a no brainer to me.

I'm simply pointing out the fact that managers DO make decisions that can cost you or win a game here or there, contrary to the argument I hear that you can't fire Gardy because he's not responsible for any of the W/L record.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 505 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Ironically, after your fine post, Bark, I am suddenly giving more of a damn.

Twitter
    @Sheradoodles

1. Umm... Think about things to think about... I'm struggling right now with thought number one... How am I gonna come up with 5.
    And you didn't think you could do it! I think I'll just call you 'the little engine.'

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Last edited by Willihammer; 09-07-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am surprised that Arcia is playing left with Mastro and Clete starting in right. I guess the Twins want to try him in left, especially if they have a right field-only guy they want to play.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hrm. Turns out the Jays don't need Joey Bats to wail on Twins pitching. Go figure

Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    oh man ... fudgesickles

Blog Entries
    2. Think about Kevin Correia... I know... A large percentage of Twins Daily followers have a distaste for Kevin Correia...
    Not a good first inning for those who are puzzled by this.

Liked 90 Times in 36 Posts
    What's a series with the Blue Jays without at least one person in the upper deck getting a souvenir.

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 333 Times in 163 Posts
    2. Think about Kevin Correia...

I'm trying not to.......
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    I am surprised that Arcia is playing left with Mastro and Clete starting in right. I guess the Twins want to try him in left, especially if they have a right field-only guy they want to play.
    I think they want him to see how pretty the ball is when it flies overhead into the seats. See that? Now you go do it too, Oswaldo. It's fun!

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    BP. How can somebody be so effective for a number of starts and then go poof!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast