Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Eddie Rosario as a Trade Chip

Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    Castro is 23, with 6 years plus a club option for roughly 58M. I have no idea what it would take, but I think we should consider pursuing it. King Theo vs. Ryan would be worthy of pay for view.
    I think that it's a true possibility this offseason. We have the financials to take that on, it's not a ridiculous contract by and means. It solidifies the no.2 hole for 6 years. It makes to much sense.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    The Twins should have learned a couple things: 1) If you wait too long, you may end up with much less and 2) you have to give up talent to get talent when you make a trade.
    Yes, number one has been hurting this team the last decade, timing is everything. The Twins should have a huge advantage when deciding between two of their players; they should know these guys better than any other team. Though teams that utilize advanced metrics may be able to project them better.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkummer View Post
    And by prospects not living up to the hype in "most cases", I think we can safely assume that Sano and Buxton will not be "most cases".
    The hype is relative, though.

The hype on Buxton is that he will be Mike Trout or better. The hype on Sano is that he's going to hit 40+HR a year and will be one of the best power hitters the organization has ever seen. Both of the these players could fall short of that and still be regular players, though. Hopefully it's not the worst case scenario, of course, where they don't manage even that.

Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    Castro is 23, with 6 years plus a club option for roughly 58M. I have no idea what it would take, but I think we should consider pursuing it. King Theo vs. Ryan would be worthy of pay for view.
    So, what's your limit?

Final offer.
    Cubs: Brian Doizer, Aaron Hicks, Travis Harrison, Dalton Hicks
    Twins: Starlin Castro, Alberto Cabrera

Would you give up an impact arm for nothing more than a solid 2b prospect?

Who's the impact arm

I'm in the opinion that it will be not that easy to move Dozier back to SS. Yes he was a SS in the minors, at the same time he REALLY seems like the type of player that his defense effects his offense and vice versa. You can't over estimate how much of a factor that Dozier being comfortable at 2nd has on his bat.
    Last edited by orangevening; 09-13-2013 at 09:21 PM. Reason: spelling. arrrrhhh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by orangevening View Post
    I'm in the opinion that it will be that easy to more Dozier back to SS. Yes he was a SS in the minors, at the same time he REALLY seems like the type of player that his defense effects his offence and vice versa. You can't over estimate how much of a factor that Dozier being comfortable at 2nd has on his bat.
    He's been great in the field all year. His bat has only been good a couple of months.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Let me pose a hypothetical that seems plausible:

Would you trade Eddie Rosario and Max Kepler for Brett Anderson this offseason, presuming his medicals are satisfying?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post

Would you trade Eddie Rosario and Max Kepler for Brett Anderson this offseason, presuming his medicals are satisfying?
    No. Prospects worth more than Anderson. I'm my opinion

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

Intriguing name, but too much injury risk for me. He has barely pitched 150 innings in the last three seasons combined.

Since we are throwing names out, what do you think about Rosario and Kepler for Kris Medlen? Or what about Dozier and Kepler for Medlen? Atlanta may actual prefer that one. I'm leaning toward NO because Medlen only has 2 seasons of team control left. But if there was a reasonable contract extension included with the trade, then maybe. If there was 3 years of team control, then I would probably support it. Either way, I definitely wouldn't rip the trade if it did occur.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When I mentioned Santana and Harrison, I meant for the return to be similarly ranked prospects on the other team (the 10-15 range).

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The A's Brett Anderson or Jeff Smardizja from the Cubs could probably be had for Dozier. Both are due to be FA in 2015 so you'll have to resign them but they are established pitchers with some issues who have some potential to be retty good still.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I don't think you put either on the block but instead call all teams that have the type of starting pitcher that you want (2-4 years of control) and relatively good. At some point you can mention that one of these guys is available if that is what it takes to land the pitcher. The team needs starters but I don't think the strategy should be to enter the offseason trying to trade one of these guys. Just let it be known that any offensive players not named Mauer, Sano and Buxton are available for the right pitcher (minors or majors).

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries

Anderson is in the last year of team control next year, Rosario & Kepler is way too much IMO for 1 year of team control.

Dozier, Boyd, & Levi Micheal is more like what I would hope they would offer.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Valencia got lucky and many were predicting a step backward. Maybe not a giant leap and then fall-on-his-face backward step, but regression none-the-less.

Plouffe was only good for ~45 days. The rest of his season was bad. Not even mediocre, just bad.

On the other hand, Dozier actually looks like the player we were told about in the minors. Steady hands, solid glove, good strike zone judgment. The only surprising thing is the power, which might decline next season. To boot, Brian's BABIP is quite a bit lower than expected, particularly for his style of play. He's not a speedster but he's not slow, either. Any downtick in power has a good chance of being balanced by an uptick in average and OBP.
    That didn't stop some people from being absolutely convinced Plouffe had arrived and was a lock for 25-30 homers this year.....How'd that turn out?

Dozier needs far more than one season before he can be fully trusted.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can anyone think of a recent trade of a 2B that netted a good return?

Uggla was traded following a monster 2010 season for Florida. He netted another 2B in Infante and a LOOGY. Infante was coming off his best season, but he was 28 and mostly had a career in a utility role.

Teams can always find a way to fill 2B. No one is going to be desperate for Dozier or Rosario.

Starting pitching is the best currency in baseball followed by shortstop and centerfield. If Castro is made available, the Cubs will be looking for starting pitching.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the Twins manage to make the right FA signings this offseason, some of this is moot. I am not trading Rosario or Dozier. Sorry.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Can anyone think of a recent trade of a 2B that netted a good return?

Uggla was traded following a monster 2010 season for Florida. He netted another 2B in Infante and a LOOGY. Infante was coming off his best season, but he was 28 and mostly had a career in a utility role.

Teams can always find a way to fill 2B. No one is going to be desperate for Dozier or Rosario.

Starting pitching is the best currency in baseball followed by shortstop and centerfield. If Castro is made available, the Cubs will be looking for starting pitching.
    Very good points. I dug around a little bit and I couldn't find any trades of note. Way to kill my trade speculation buzz...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast