Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Souhan: Twins Must Pay For Pitching

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries

Souhan: Twins Must Pay For Pitching

Jim Souhan suggests that the Twins take their chances in the starting pitching free agent market - because it's worth the risk:

Competitively, a premier pitcher could hasten rebuilding and, if that occurred sooner rather than later, a premier pitcher could provide leadership for young arms arriving in the majors, and give the Twins a chance to win Game 1 of any playoff series, which is a big deal in a format in which a playoff series might last only one game.
    Souhan: Twins must open checkbook for pitching, or losing will go on | Star Tribune

I'd suggest that the reason to so is a little more simple: because they don't really have any other options to turn it around, other than hope and pray the way they did this year. I'd actually say they need to look hard at getting two such guys, because I don't see one real difference maker in this class.

Agreed, John. I'd say $25 million in starting pitching this off-season.
    No joke.
    Worst case: the "surplus" of starting pitching we've heard about, but never before seen.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The best shot at a pitcher is Tanaka. While other pitchers may have better alternatives than Minnesota, Tanaka will have one option if the Twins win his posting bid. Can 40 million win this bid?

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I'd actually say they need to look hard at getting two such guys, because I don't see one real difference maker in this class.
    I'd say they need to sign three again. 2 high performers and 1 injury/ low performer gamble.

They probably have 3 open spots in next April's rotation. Correia is likely to be back, and although Albers is probably just the new Diamond, I imagine that he's earned a spot to start next season. Beyond that, either Ryan has to sign 2 free agents and use the #5 spot to test a youngster, or he'll have to throw a few of Gibson/May/Meyer/Worley/Diamond/Darnell into the pool all at once and see who can swim. I doubt that he's going to want a rotation of prospects, so I'd look for Ryan to be shopping this winter. Let's just hope that his FA signings aren't 2 more guys like Correia and Pelfrey out of the bargain bin.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Smith asked for $30MM--and was replaced! If Ryan asks for $30MM does he get a bonus? Or a cacphony of laughter?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Smith asked for $30MM--and was replaced! If Ryan asks for $30MM does he get a bonus? Or a cacphony of laughter?
    Smith's starting point was much higher. I agree with at least 2 starting pitchers from the upper end of talent. It will be difficult

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts
    No matter what tier Ryan is signing from I don't think he'll sign more than 2 pitchers to major league contracts this off season. Correia and a lefty are virtual locks (Albers, Diamond, Hernandez) and I think Gibson is very likely.

Is that really what happened with Billy Smith? He asked for more payroll and they fired him?

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    Is that really what happened with Billy Smith? He asked for more payroll and they fired him?
    Hindsight speculation. But they publicly said Smith was not going to be fired, despite his bad trades and poor performance. Then the scuttlebutt was the FO was not enamored with Smith's offseason plan and they fired him.
    Then Ryan proceeded to let FA's like Cuddy and Kubel walk.

Maybe that was the right choice because they were able to get a few extra picks and Cuddy was turned into Berrios.

But from appearances Smith's plan was to retain guys and spend money, the FO said no.

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Assuming their physical checks out these are a few Free Agents I would overpay for in terms of dollars & years.
    Scott Kazmir
    Ubaldo Jimenez
    Ricky Nolasco
    Matt Garza
    Last edited by clutterheart; 09-18-2013 at 06:37 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Hindsight speculation. But they publicly said Smith was not going to be fired, despite his bad trades and poor performance. Then the scuttlebutt was the FO was not enamored with Smith's offseason plan and they fired him.
    Then Ryan proceeded to let FA's like Cuddy and Kubel walk.

Maybe that was the right choice because they were able to get a few extra picks and Cuddy was turned into Berrios.

But from appearances Smith's plan was to retain guys and spend money, the FO said no.
    Actually Berrios and Chargois for Cuddyer
    Luke Bard for Kubel
    only time will tell if it was a good choice
    Last edited by old nurse; 09-18-2013 at 06:32 AM.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ervin Santana (3 years), Phil Hughes (2 years), and Johan Santana (1 year + option) would be my choices. All incentives included and this probably amounts to maxing at $30 in 2014 and 2015.

Jimenez is also interesting.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Actually Berrios and Chargois for Cuddyer
    Luke Bard for Kubel
    only time will tell if it was a good choice
    I have sincere doubts that Bard and Chargois are ever reaching the majors.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Didn't we have this same conversation a year ago? What is different this time? Well, other than we are pretty sure Hendriks is a AAAA pitcher?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    When was the last time that Terry Ryan and the Twins signed a big buck free agent pitcher??? It’s not going to happen. He'll continue to bottom feed, sign an 'inning eater' and maybe a reclamation project, but he won't sign a high priced pitcher until the rest of the team is competitive in a couple of years and that high priced pitcher will push them over the top ala Jack Morris.

I don't think the Twins see the urgency to spend big bucks on a pitcher in order to appease the fan base; they're counting on the all-star game and the arrival of stud prospects Sano and Buxton to keep fans interested.

Starting rotation next year will be a combination of Correia, Gibson, Diamond, bargain basement signee - with Worley, Hendricks, Hernandez, and other similar pitchers fighting it out for the last spot.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
    When was the last time that Terry Ryan and the Twins signed a big buck free agent pitcher??? It’s not going to happen. He'll continue to bottom feed, sign an 'inning eater' and maybe a reclamation project, but he won't sign a high priced pitcher until the rest of the team is competitive in a couple of years and that high priced pitcher will push them over the top ala Jack Morris.
    I don't even see him doing it then simply because he's been in that situation in the 2000s a couple times and didn't do it. I understand the argument about him not having the same resources back then, but I think there's more to it than that.
    Just remember: You put the lime IN the coconut. Only THEN, can you drink it all up.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I have sincere doubts that Bard and Chargois are ever reaching the majors.
    Chargois will be 23 when he comes back from TJ. He had a good first year. There is plenty of time for him to develop. Recovery rate was 90%. The procedure itself is not likely career ending.
    Maybe Bard is brittle, don't know. Neither has a body of work that would say one way or another that they are misses.

Ervin Santana will either sign with KC, or get a 4 year contract. Hughes, it depends on who is interested in him. The enticement to get him might require 3 years.
    Johan might retire rather than start over at the bottom with a minimal deal. If it is a competition/center stage kind of thing he would have to have howie's well documented belief in the prospects (and get to lead the parade) to sign here.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1. I believe that the Twins really will sign a pitcher this year that causes us to raise our eyebrows. In a good way.
    2. Why do people keep listing Matt Garza as a possible Twins pitcher? One of the most frustrating things about the coming off-season is this very bad idea. Nothing good could come of this.
    3. Sure would be fun to see the Twins get Tanaka. Does anyone know when that all plays out?
    Last edited by Oldgoat_MN; 09-18-2013 at 09:56 AM. Reason: tone it down, Oldgoat.....

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Souhan could have written this article in September of 2011 or 2012, dragged it out of mothballs, changed the date and a few relevant player names, and reposted it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast