Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Liam Hendriks Has Run Out of Chances

The chances are good that he would pass thru waivers. Not sure if he becomes a minor league free agent then or not. I don't really see anby otehr team claiming him and letting him hold a 40-man spot. I can see any number of teams giving him a tryout (because of his age). I'm not sure if he would work in the long-relief role. Not even sure if he is necessary for short relief or to be groomed as a closer. With his success at AAA, he would be just as good as any number of other guys, and maybe have a resurgence like Perkins down the line (we remember that period in Perkins time, right). But for now, I see him looking for a job, rather than worrying about a job.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 52 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He was dialing it up to 94. Maybe in the bullpen that becomes regular 93-95.

Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I can't think of a suspect upon which we have disagreed so starkly. Maybe Slowey.

I didn't want them to give him another chance this year, let alone two. I've seen enough of him to know he's never going to amount to much as a starter in the big leagues. If you go back into the anals of Twins pitching history, you will be hard pressed to find a guy who was allowed to fail so many times and for so long. Sorry Liam, the truth hurts.
    I'm pretty sure we're in the anals of Twins pitching history right now.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lyndon View Post
    OT: This reminded me of Tobias (from Arrested Development) and his combination career...

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 305 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lyndon View Post
    I was wondering whether someone would catch that. And I agree. I've been following the team since 67 and I never remember a three-year stretch with worse pitching. Even in the 90s we had guys like Tapani and Radke.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Franks Viola was given 56 starts in his first two seasons. His second season he had an ERA+ of 77. Brad Radke led the league in home runs given up his first two seasons.

They were both given a long sustained opportunity in the majors. They weren't pitching each start as if it was their last. I don't know if Hendriks was worth the same opportunity given his success in the minors. The Twins will never know. For his sake, I hope they release him and a team like the Pirates gives him a fresh start.

Why are we talking about dumping him from the 40-Man Roster? There is so much dead-weight on it currently, why dump a 24-year old Starting Pitcher?

And it's not like there are guys at AA he's blocking by being at AAA.

He has ongoing issues at the ML level, and given his mediocre performance at AAA, maybe he's in decline, or maybe something's wrong. Here's what you do with a 24-year old pitcher who's not out of options: you bring him to spring training, and from there he either makes the opening day roster, or he goes to AAA.

Liked 1,216 Times in 552 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Johnson View Post
    Why are we talking about dumping him from the 40-Man Roster? There is so much dead-weight on it currently, why dump a 24-year old Starting Pitcher?

And it's not like there are guys at AA he's blocking by being at AAA.

He has ongoing issues at the ML level, and given his mediocre performance at AAA, maybe he's in decline, or maybe something's wrong. Here's what you do with a 24-year old pitcher who's not out of options: you bring him to spring training, and from there he either makes the opening day roster, or he goes to AAA.
    According to the article he's out of options next yr.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

According to the article, Hendricks is out of options. If that is correct, that means he must be on the major league roster next year. There would be no sending him to Rochester to work on things. Unfortunately this is one of the problems with bringing up the young players too early. They are wasting their mlb service time when they should be developing and learning at the lower levels. If Hendricks is removed from the 40 man roster, he can still be resigned to a minor league deal.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 133 Times in 60 Posts
    It really doesn't matter if we let Hendricks go or not. We have a dozen more of the exact same pitcher waiting in AAA.

Liked 59 Times in 34 Posts
    He still has a minor league track record that says something could click and he could become a decent pitcher. The change of scenery could be at Target Field next year - I expect to see a lot of new faces, especially in the coaching ranks.

Blog Entries
    He can pass through waivers and be in Rochester. Or they can keep him on the 40-man. I didn't look at the 40-man again before making my claim that they should drop him from it. Now that I look at it, good god. There is actually no way that they shouldn't keep him in some capacity.

Look, I have to say: if you believe Rick Anderson is a pitching coach worthy of a job, I have a Brooklyn Bridge to sell you. He needs to go away before there are such decisions made. Hendriks is either in the bullpen or gets another chance with a pitching coach is actually capable.

What I mean is that if this PC is still in the org and not properly fired *today* then Hendriks is one of several who will need to go away. If this PC is gone, then find a way to give the younger guys another opportunity.

If the Twins can move on from Justin Morneau, who did so much for this organization in the past, it can move on from Rick Anderson.

I would rather give Liam Hindriks a chance with a new Twins pitching coach than Rick Anderson a chance with another Twins minor leaguer. Either way, one of them is likely going to be with another organization next year. And they might do very well with that organziation. But they haven't done well together.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 217 Times in 149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 108 Double Stitches View Post
    If the Twins can move on from Justin Morneau, who did so much for this organization in the past, it can move on from Rick Anderson.

I would rather give Liam Hindriks a chance with a new Twins pitching coach than Rick Anderson a chance with another Twins minor leaguer. Either way, one of them is likely going to be with another organization next year. And they might do very well with that organziation. But they haven't done well together.

Great post.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Better comps for Liam Hendriks - Todd Ritchie and Mike Lincoln. He may give some team 300 decent innings but he's very unlikely to be someone they kick themselves over.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    I wonder if the Twins were using TD as a sounding board? Article on Liam Hendriks, then today I read in PRAVDA that DeVries will get the start against Oakland replacing Hendriks in the rotation. Hmmm.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 217 Times in 149 Posts
    Pravda
    Lighten up Francis....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Pravda
    John McCain and Liam Hendriks.

I'm not willing to give up on Hendriks. There has been some flashes (albeit brief) where's he's shown he can get big league hitters out. When he's working quickly he seems to have a little extra zip and movement on his fastball. When men get on base he starts walking around the mound and overthinks things. The game just comes to a stop and things start to sprial out of control. But that said, he's only 24, and I think his problems can be fixed.

If he has to pass through waivers to stay with the organization next year, than so be it. But if it's possible to keep him around, I think it might be worth it.

By the way...still absolutely no love for Cole DeVries on these boards. I don't see why. I'm hoping he gets to make a couple starts before the season is over.

Blog Entries
    By the way, my above posts about Hendriks might be the most least-committal posts I have ever made at TD. His accent makes me laugh so that might sway me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast