Thread: 5 Gameday Predictions, Week 3 vs. Cleveland.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 79 Times in 42 Posts

5 Gameday Predictions, Week 3 vs. Cleveland.

I will try to make this a weekly occurrence.
    Here are my 5 predictions for today's game.

1) Time to ponder a change at QB?
    Frazier and Co. will have a very hard time defending Ponder as the starting QB after today's game. The Browns are not a very good team, but they do have a solid defense, and I just don't think Ponder is the guy.

2) AD unleashed.
    Peterson is too talented to be stopped like he has been. The overall numbers look okay, but not up to Peterson's standards, especially when you take into account that 78 yards came on the first play of the season. He's pissed off with the way he's played so far, and an angry and motivated AP is a scary thought for any defense, even one as good as Cleveland's. He will put up big numbers today.

3) Phase 3 will be the key.
    I think this game will be closer than many think. No, the Browns are not a good team to start with, and now they are on their 3rd string QB and have brought in Willis McGahee at RB to replace traded Trent Richardson. But, the offensive style that Musgrave employs, along with our passive, bend but don't break Tampa 2 defense, virtually ensures that even the least talented team we play is going to be able to eat clock and keep games close.
    Therefore I think today's game will be decided by the special teams. Whoever wins that battle will likely win.
    The Vikings will need some big kicks by Walsh, and much better coverage than last week against.

4) The TE/RB passing game will continue to be our kryptonite.
    The Vikings have historically been susceptible to being destroyed by opposing TE's and RB's in the passing game in this Tampa 2 defense. That trend has continued this year, last week we were picked apart by Bennett and Forte, and in week 1 it was Reggie Bush. Pettitgrew was also open all day in week 1, but luckily for us Stafford doesn't trust him, so he didn't kill us.
    I'm not sure the Browns have any weapons out of the backfield in the passing game on the Bush/Forte level, but Jordan Cameron will have a monster day against our D.

5) Hey, a win is a win, right?
    I think the Vikes get out with a win today. They are the more talented team, and are at home. But, I'm not sure it's a win that has us feeling very good. It will be an "ugly" win, and will be close.
    24-20 is my prediction.

Thoughts?

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    I think today makes the team seriously consider trading Allen, Williams, Gerhart, and others for draft picks next year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The Vikings need to worry about coaching more than anything else. Two huge blunders that can't be put on anyone but the coach. Pass protection was garbage too.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I think today makes the team seriously consider trading Allen, Williams, Gerhart, and others for draft picks next year.
    Lol Gerhart....
    Williams might get you a fifth rounder at this point, Allen, maybe a third?

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Lol Gerhart....
    Williams might get you a fifth rounder at this point, Allen, maybe a third?
    The Richardson trade shows a shift in thinking. I'm not sure on value but ou might be surprised.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    The Richardson trade shows a shift in thinking. I'm not sure on value but ou might be surprised.
    There is a huge difference though, Richardson, overdraft or not was def worth a top ten pick last year, and the beauty for the Colts is they don't have to pay him much at all, and they will end up giving a mid twenties pick for him at the end of the day. (Also Irsay isn't your typical NFL owner). *If Richardson stays healthy you could be looking a potentially game changing type RB

What exactly has Toby done to warrant anything other than a throw away pick? (I count anything after the early 5th round to be more or less throw away)

As far as KW goes, I just don't think he is an every down guy any more and is on the tale end of his career, if we could get a 4th rounder, do it! But I don't see it happening. JA is interesting, but I really can't see more than a third rounder, wasn't that what was given up for Brandon Marshall? (I know he had issues, but still, its pretty rare to see a 1st or 2nd rounder given up)

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    What exactly has Toby done to warrant anything other than a throw away pick? (I count anything after the early 5th round to be more or less throw away)

As far as KW goes, I just don't think he is an every down guy any more and is on the tale end of his career, if we could get a 4th rounder, do it! But I don't see it happening. JA is interesting, but I really can't see more than a third rounder, wasn't that what was given up for Brandon Marshall? (I know he had issues, but still, its pretty rare to see a 1st or 2nd rounder given up)
    Like I said, I'm not sure what the value is, but we're at the point already where we should be entertaining anything we can get for guys not part of this team's future.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if some team out there would do a Herschel Walker type trade for AP.... and I wonder if the Vikings would do it.

Hey...yards after catch? Who needs that when you can vaguely throw to guys and barely get completions.

No doubt that Jennings TD never happens with Ponder out there.