Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Michael Cuddyer, Batting Average and the Batter's Eye

Liked 1,289 Times in 744 Posts

Michael Cuddyer, Batting Average and the Batter's Eye

Michael Cuddyer's BA currently stands at .334, highest of his career and currently highest in the NL. I'd like to congratulate him on making the transition to the NL and improving with age. Best BA of his professional life, best OBP, Slugging Percentage (despite "only" 20 HR, a little better than his 32 HR season in 2009) and OPS.

But as I look at the Coors Field background, it looks like there are trees in the batter's eye. I always assumed he was basically elected to be the spokesman on removing the trees at TF but it is still hard for me to ignore that the TF trees were removed.

I'm not suggesting a "curse of the trees". Maybe its more that removing the trees at the player's request signaled the beginnings of a decline in accountability.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Bring back the trees!!!
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    All I know is Trees = Playoffs
    No trees = no playoffs
    Bring em back!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I always thought removing the trees was one of the stupidest things they could have done. Our players didn't like hitting with them there, so you would have to assume everyone else's wouldn't either. Our guys would get used to them eventually, though, where other players who only visit on occasion wouldn't. Thus we removed a potential home field advantage that was also a very attractive feature of the park because a few guys on the team lost a few points in their batting average.

Bring back the trees.

Liked 140 Times in 87 Posts
    I think the problem was the glare coming from the batter's eye. I don't know how many remember, but there was shiny green paint behind those trees. They have since painted it flat black. My guess is that the tree would be safe to bring back now that the paint isn't reflecting so much light.

To agree with others, bring back the trees.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Pulling for Cuddy!!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ericchri View Post
    I always thought removing the trees was one of the stupidest things they could have done. Our players didn't like hitting with them there, so you would have to assume everyone else's wouldn't either. Our guys would get used to them eventually, though, where other players who only visit on occasion wouldn't. Thus we removed a potential home field advantage that was also a very attractive feature of the park because a few guys on the team lost a few points in their batting average.

Bring back the trees.
    Great point!! "Minnesota elements", much like old Met Stadium with the Vikings #10th best home-field advantage of all time in NFL History, come through again.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    I'm happy with either of the top 2 at this point. It'd be great to see a Brave win it, but I've always been a fan of Cuddy as well.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    No Tommy choppers!

Both Cuddyer and Willingham signed 3 year deals at the same time with the Rockies and the Twins for 3/33 and 3/21. The first year of the Willingham contract he wildly outperformed his contract, Cuddyer was pretty ineffective and injured for the first year of his contract. The second year, Willingham was ineffective and injured for most of the year, and Cuddyer has outperformed his contract this year. The third year, who knows, but it will probably be somewhere in the middle for both. I don't know why I'm bringing this up, but it's something to keep in mind for the people that wish we would have resigned Cuddyer.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    No Tommy choppers!
    He'd join an interesting group - the last two Braves to win a batting title were 3B as well.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsbars08 View Post
    Both Cuddyer and Willingham signed 3 year deals at the same time with the Rockies and the Twins for 3/33 and 3/21. The first year of the Willingham contract he wildly outperformed his contract, Cuddyer was pretty ineffective and injured for the first year of his contract. The second year, Willingham was ineffective and injured for most of the year, and Cuddyer has outperformed his contract this year. The third year, who knows, but it will probably be somewhere in the middle for both. I don't know why I'm bringing this up, but it's something to keep in mind for the people that wish we would have resigned Cuddyer.
    Cuddyer makes $3.5M more per year than the Hammer and both player's OPS+ for the first two years of their contract is in the 120s. Cuddyer is my all-time favorite player so I was disappointed when he signed elsewhere, but it probably was best for both the player and the team. He is now 8 points ahead of Johnson and I am wondering if Walt Weiss might not shut him down, since the Rockies are going to finish last anyway.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Cuddyer makes $3.5M more per year than the Hammer and both player's OPS+ for the first two years of their contract is in the 120s. Cuddyer is my all-time favorite player so I was disappointed when he signed elsewhere, but it probably was best for both the player and the team. He is now 8 points ahead of Johnson and I am wondering if Walt Weiss might not shut him down, since the Rockies are going to finish last anyway.
    But Cuddyer is a little better overall defender and can play positions Willingham can't. Makes him, overall, a more valuable player....regardless of their similarities on offense.

On top of that, ti's not like the saved money was put back into the team, so why would the salary difference matter to the fans?

Oh, and Cuddy is a team guy first. If Weiss is thinking of shutting him down to help preserve his batting title chances I think Cuddy would likely get pretty ticked off about that.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 09-25-2013 at 10:10 AM.
    Just remember: You put the lime IN the coconut. Only THEN, can you drink it all up.

Like Koskie, I think Cuddyer was the guy we allowed to get away,

Koskie, if he stayed in Minnesota, could've been the DH we missed as well as someone to play third. Cuddyer could easily transition into a first baseman, go to third, stay in the outfield or DH.

Part of the allure of having a new Target Field was that the Twins would be more competitive to keep their own free agents, is what I heard the speak from the front office. That the Twins are cheap and somehow want hometown discounts, well...losing Cuddyer, Nathan and Kubel all at the same time with no return, losing Liriano because they didn't want to take a chance (and, yes, I wouldn't have overpaid, either) and having Morneau walk (do they know something we don't know).

Anyways, kudos to Cuddyer. He probably never thought he would get a batting title. And I still marvel that Colorado paid him so much more than Willingham....what gives with ownership these days that they get a good deal or vastly overpay.

Right now, Cuddyer is prime trade bait. Rockies, trade him to the Twins for Parmelee, Plouffe, and Willingham! Maybe we can get a prospect or two back in the deal.

Sign Nathan and make Perk a setup guy again.

Give Kubel a minor league contract.

Bring back Johann Santana.

See if Morneau wants to play here again.

Now all else we need is Lohse and Slowey and Baker and it can be old-home week.

Until Matt Capps and Jon Rauch return, I remain..........
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Liked 12 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The line from home plate to CF runs from south to north at Coors Field while it runs from west to east at Target Field. Not comparable from a batter's eye background, sorry.