Thread: Pitchers we didn't get

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 42 Posts

Pitchers we didn't get

So, here's a list of the pitcher's we didn't pursue that were mentioned as fits by many posters here during the last off season.

First, we got
    Correia 2/10m 9-12, 95 ERA+, 178.1ip, 1.3 WAR
    Pelfrey 1/4m 5-13, 77 ERA+, 146.2ip, -0.5 WAR

And those we didn't sign.

Scott Baker - Cubs - 1/5.5m 3 starts, 15ip. Missed most season w/injury
    Edwin Jackson - Cubs - 4/52m 8-17 84 ERA+, 172.2 ip -0.8 WAR
    Joe Blanton Angels - 2/15m - 2-14 62 ERA+, 132.2ip -2.0 WAR
    Joe Saunders - Seattle - 1/6.5m - 11-16, 70 ERA+, 183ip -0.3 WAR
    Liriano - Pitt - 1/1m* 16-7, 123 ERA+, 156 ip 3.3 WAR
    Dan Haren - Nats - 1/13m - 9-14 78 ERA+, 162.2ip -0.4 WAR
    Shawn Marcum - Mets - 1/4m - 1-10 67 ERA+, 78.1ip -1.0 WAR
    Brandon McCarthy - DBacks - 2/15.5m - 5-9 84 ERA+, 122ip -0.2 WAR
    Anibal Sanchez - Det - 5/80m - 14-8 158 ERA+, 177ip 4.3 WAR
    Ryan Dempster - Bos -2/26.5m 8-9 89 ERA+, 169.2ip, -0.2 WAR

I think these were the most common names thrown out by fans. Villanueva for the Cubs was also mentioned and he had a really good year but mostly out of the bullpen. Kazmir had a decent year for Cleveland (9-9 91 ERA+, 152ip 0.9 WAR) but I don't remember anyone bringing him up.

* Liriano's contract had a lot of clauses and an option b/c of his arm injury during the signing period. He was paid more than 1m this year.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This goes to show what a crap shoot FA pitchers are.
    If Ryan was telling the truth about players not wanting to come here I suspect that Sanchez was one of those.
    Liriano needed a coach not named Anderson.

Unclear what we could have done this year to land real solid pitchers.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 205 Times in 117 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pretty much all those guys had better years than Worley / Diamond / Hernandez / Walters / DeVries, et al

Boy, we could've spent $80 million and got that whole crew.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Pretty much all those guys had better years than Worley / Diamond / Hernandez / Walters / DeVries, et al
    All of them would be expected to have better years than Hernandez, Walters and DeVries. That it is close that Diamond and Hernandez are having as good of year as most of the pitchers listed is noteworthy, and it is not good for the FA pitchers to be compared to them. Much more was expected.

Senior Member All-Star
    I should also point out that I used baseball reference WAR. Fangraphs WAR is different for some players. I think that's b/c fWAR is based on fip and bWAR is based on RA (I think). So a guy who greatly outperforms or underperforms his fip, like Pelfrey, who had a 3.99 fip, was worth 2.1 WAR by fangraphs but a negative number by bWAR. Part of the problem of WAR.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 163 Times in 86 Posts
    You forget how much better these guys would be with Rick Anderson coaching them!!
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    Liriano needed a coach not named Anderson.
    For a lot of Twins fans, getting rid of Anderson as opposed to Liriano was the preferred option.

I would like to point out that if we are basing the argument on WAR, Baker would have been a better signing than Pelfrey.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    For a lot of Twins fans, getting rid of Anderson as opposed to Liriano was the preferred option.

I would like to point out that if we are basing the argument on WAR, Baker would have been a better signing than Pelfrey.
    Not really. We'd still needed a pitcher to pitch those missing innings. With Baker (and that money) out, we'd have had to rely on someone like Walters to pitch for us from spring on. So WAR is important but those innings are too.

I remember slapping my forehead thinking about 2 years $10 million for Correia knowing McCarthy signed for 2 years $15.5 million. Goes to show what I know. For at least the first year, Correia provided more value by pitching 50 more innings at near league average (95 ERA+). Credit to TR who had more faith in Correia's ability to be durable and (relatively) effective. I thought he'd get crushed straight to Rochester.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dance with Disco Dan View Post
    I remember slapping my forehead thinking about 2 years $10 million for Correia knowing McCarthy signed for 2 years $15.5 million. Goes to show what I know. For at least the first year, Correia provided more value by pitching 50 more innings at near league average (95 ERA+). Credit to TR who had more faith in Correia's ability to be durable and (relatively) effective. I thought he'd get crushed straight to Rochester.
    I did, too, but he's performed beyond anyone's imagination and that's still not even league average. Low risk/low reward.