Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Examining Twins Managerial Candidates

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if Mientkiewicz's actions in High-A - specifically, getting into a fight with another manager - might cost him any realistic consideration.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was just going to say...what about dougie baseball or mayb a charlie manuel...he also has ties to the twins organization

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Or Mike Scioscia, if he's available. Or Ozzie. :-)

This might be a good place of people to list some of their favorite candidates. I'd love to hear some additional names besides the most common ones.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The guy I was hoping we'd get after canning Gardy last offseason (which didn't happen) was Francona. Then I wanted Ryne Sandberg. Francona could be going to the playoffs with a not extremely talented Indians team and Ryno just had interim taken off his manager title.

So now my choice is Dave Martinez, TB bench coach.
    Just remember: You put the lime IN the coconut. Only THEN, can you drink it all up.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Soscia would be my favorite I think. Then dougie baseball and charlie manuel. It would be awesome if there was another coaching overhaul and all three were coaching at the big league level next yr

Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    My choice would be Dave Martinez. Comes from another organization (a forward thinking one), youngish, and seems to be a smart guy.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would be up for hiring Ray Searage, and here's why:

He has done a great job as the pitching coach for the Pirates. Neither AJ Burnett nor Liriano could have been projected to do as well as they're doing since going to the Pirates and hanging out with Searage. For that matter, I don't know if Locke was projected to be as effective as he has been.

I don't really know if Searage has ever managed. I'd just offer him any title he wanted.
    I feel pretty much the same about Mike Maddux, the Rangers pitching coach.
    (I wonder if Greg Maddux comes along with Mike and retains the title of Special Assistant?)

Basically, I'd look for someone who seems to have some recent success developing pitchers.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 167 Posts
    I've been thinking about Mike Maddox for a while. The pitching has to be fixed system wide and he has a good record. Of course, will he be a good manager? Likely he would be good with good players just like gardy has been and not so good with bad players.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    I had thought that Dougie Baseball would eventually be the new manager. But one year of managing in the minors? Maybe. I think Ryan would like to stay within the org or get someone who would fit in with org thinking - Ozzie, for instance. My guess is Ryan wants to bring back Gardy but might not be able to for a variety of reasons. If Sciosia or Ron Washington were fired, they'd both be considered but I don't think we'd hire either of them.

I guess I don't really have a guess. I don't think the final pick will be that exciting - Ryan picked Gardy over more noticeable names like Molitor before and that worked out. Ryan strikes me as the type of guy who follows his plan and doesn't overly worry about outside pressure and the Pohlads seem to give him all the time/respect he needs. (I don'[t think Molitor will be manager but I have to admit that Ryan seemed to have gone out of his way to mention Molitor publicly several times this year. So maybe he has more of a shot than I think).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    I would be up for hiring Ray Searage, and here's why:

He has done a great job as the pitching coach for the Pirates. Neither AJ Burnett nor Liriano could have been projected to do as well as they're doing since going to the Pirates and hanging out with Searage. For that matter, I don't know if Locke was projected to be as effective as he has been.

I don't really know if Searage has ever managed. I'd just offer him any title he wanted.
    I feel pretty much the same about Mike Maddux, the Rangers pitching coach.
    (I wonder if Greg Maddux comes along with Mike and retains the title of Special Assistant?)

Basically, I'd look for someone who seems to have some recent success developing pitchers.
    I don't think either are bad ideas but, for whatever reason, pitching coaches rarely become managers. There seems to be some industry bias against it.

BP had an article about it a few years ago: Baseball Prospectus | Overthinking It: Ex-Pitching Coach Managers

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    I also have questions about a pitching coach managing. Plus, so many of the concerns that many of us have discussed about pitching have been organization-wide not just a question at the major league level. Perhaps what is needed on that front is a new position -- one with more prestige than either manager or pitching coach -- to take on the entire pitching mess system-wide.

As for the manager, I would prefer someone from outside the organization. I like what I know about Dave Martinez but I'm sure there are others out there who might also be forward-thinking and who offer a new perspective and style of leadership.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nice writeup. I think this is a very realistic list. Many of us would like outside blood but those guys, esp. if they aren't currently managing, might end up with Twins staff coaching around them anyway so pitching and hitting probably wouldn't be affected much.

That said, there is plenty I believe a manager can control in-game. The drum that I have banged for a while is defensive shifting, and one of the more innovative guys I've seen this year is the Pirates' Jeff banister (who is actually the Bench coach). Manager and Coaches | pirates.com: Team

edit: COnflicting reports who is in charge of the shifting on the Pirates. According to this article, 3rd Base coach Nick Leyva is the man arranging infield shifts.

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/4...#axzz2fpJAslD9
    Last edited by Willihammer; 09-25-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Gladden would do great, he can outmanage the current manager any night he wishes.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I thought I posted this already. I think the list starts and stops: 1. Terry Steinbach. 2. Gene Glynn

One of those two will be the next manager.

The manager is either as good as the coaches he surrounds himself with, and you now have up to six or more coaches on your staff, or he is totally take-charge and runs everything on the field and the coaches do things totally his way.

The Twins, going forth, need people who work well with youngsters, especially some of the out-of-country youth. It is a big step that the minor league process has to battle -- new towns, more money, a nomad lifestyle, responsibility off and on the field, working well with others.

It's also have a player or two who step forward as captains and speak to or for the group.

It also needs a front office in sync with what is happening to the baseball world in general.

It is also nice to have someone who can and will interact with the media, with fans (season ticket holders) and who offers a shoulder and good advice when necessary.

It will be an interesting off-season.

I could see Terry Steinbach getting the job, and adding Jake Mauer and Gene Glynn to the coaching staff (amongst others) at this time. I do see Jake being groomed, so maybe he does need another year at Rochester or New Brit (or even Cedar Rapids)...but who knows.

But, better yet, who can general manage the Twins into the next decade!

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 167 Posts
    Based on uninformed speculation, Steinbach or Moliter will be named. The old gaurd coaches will be gone, Cuellar will be pitching coach, Bruno likely stays and a few new names.
    I don't see them going out of the org. not the Twins Way.

If they were going to bring Gardy back why wouldn't they have already done it? Why would he want to comeback? 4-5 good jobs likely open, Angels, Rangers, Yankees (that would be fun) Nationals and maybe another couple. Better jobs imo.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 380 Times in 233 Posts
    Let's go outside the organization with a former hispanic catcher. Sandy Alomar Jr. or Pudge Rodriguez. Let's get some Latin leaders with the current group of young international players coming up.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Despite the general wailing and gnashing of teeth it will cause, Gardy will be getting a new 2-year contract, but Jake Mauer will be added to the Major League coaching staff, probably as a base coach, and will be the odds-on favorite to be the next Twins manager.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Molitor managing a Twins affiliate next year.

The combination will make for an interesting dynamic to watch as the Twins likely go through another tough year in 2014. Gardy could be Dead Man Walking by mid summer, with the Twins being willing to eat a year of his pay to replace him if the team tanks again.

There's absolutely no way Terry Ryan goes outside the Twins organization for his next manager. Simply can't see that happening.

Also can't see him replacing Gardy with someone even older, to lead a youthful rebuild. That leaves Glynn out.

Dougie is, as I recall, in Florida because that's where he wants to be due to family issues. Unless those have been resolved, I don't see him being anywhere but with the Miracle in 2014. Of course, by 2015 or 2016, if Gardy survives that long, he could be a consideration if he keeps the number of meltdowns in check and the family issues aren't still a factor.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dougie said he wants Pierzynski as his bench coach (when he retires). I'm not sure a lot of us would be ok with that.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast