Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Article: Examining Twins Managerial Candidates

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    "Gardenhire and Ryan are not the problem here, 6 division championships in 9 years proves that."

Living in the past is fine when the present and near future are this bad.
    Haven't won a playoff series since 2002, 0-12 playoff record going not sure that's a lot to hang your hat on at this point.
    Agree.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 116 Times in 52 Posts
    Ryan's quote about getting Gardy some better players could be just force of habit, considering how long Gardy's been here, or it could be one of those "vote of confidence/kiss of death" quotes that always comes before a major organizational firing.

I get the feeling that it's neither, and the Twins country club isn't going anywhere.

I just read all the comments--surprised that Manny Acta and Wally Backman--my top two choices were only mentioned once each. Manny has done well (to a point) with rebuilding teams and Wally (who has Twins connections) has done well in minors.

I don't get the fascination with Molitar--he has ZERO managing experience anywhere--not the right choice.

This will be an interesting offseason--potential jobs in Anaheim, Texas, Twins and here in DC and probably one or two more. I actually wonder if Gardy will come to DC where he has a nucleus.

Quote Originally Posted by DAM DC Twins Fans View Post
    Wally Backman
    Just what we need, another mediocre Met from the mid 80s. And I see the guy has a ton of baggage.

Molitor would be a much better choice in my opinion. Molitor cares about the players and has a good head. He would bring in good coaches. Lack of managing experience wouldn't be an obstacle. Much of the on-field stuff is drills and mentoring, which he has been doing with our prospects anyway, and I'm confident he could fill out a line up card. Molitor also has "Minnesota ties" which throughout this thread has usually been an argument in favor.

Liked 317 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CGNikolic View Post
    Gardenhire and Ryan are not the problem here, 6 division championships in 9 years proves that.
    Not the correct math:

Math is zero world series and zero AL pennants and:

6 division championships in 12 years for Gardy
    and
    4 division championships in 16 years for Ryan.

Also
    4 5th place and 5 4th place for Ryan and 2 5th place and 1 4th place for Gardenhire

If you like mediocrity, you got to love those guys.

And according that logic, 2 division championships in 4 years makes Smith better than both. At least twice better than Ryan, correct?
    Last edited by Thrylos; 09-25-2013 at 08:28 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Let's go outside the organization with a former hispanic catcher. Sandy Alomar Jr. or Pudge Rodriguez. Let's get some Latin leaders with the current group of young international players coming up.
    I've been beating the drum on these 2 for years. Central Division bona fides, bilingual, record of individual performance and team excellence and toughness and durability, familial ties in the case of Pudge, and treasure troves of baseball experience to impart to young, impressionable players. And they both have been available in the recent past. And speaking of Latin catchers, someone with more experience, Central Division ties and also"manager-ready" would be Tony Pena- but it would probably take too much effort to lure him to Minnesota for the Pohlads.

How about this. Get TK out of retirement and sign him to a one year deal. Make Jake Mauer the bench coach for TK to mentor for a year and give the job to Jake in year two.

TK is great at the details and would be a great mentor for Jake as well as great with the young players.

He probably wouldn't take the job out of respect for Gardy. It's fun to think about it though.

How about someone who has a history with the organization and the "Twins way" at the same time has prespective gained from working in other organizations (including the beloved Tampa Bay Rays). Someone with manager experience. A name that the causal Twins fan will love and get excited about (G__ knows they need it);

Gary Gaetti :P

I not only hope with everything in my soul that Gardy isn't retained, but that the Twins would just bring in someone from the outside for once. If they did, I think Tampa Bay Rays coach Dave Martinez would be a fantastic choice. After that, I'd go for Chip Hale or Matt Williams. Of the internal candidates, Glynn would be best. I was once a Molitor advocate and god knows he'd be better than Gardy, but I have my doubts.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234