Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Article: Catching No Longer an Option For Mauer

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 338 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    It bugs me we feel we can completly bypass having a competent replacement. The proposals here basically are calling for us to go from one position at league average and one well above to one below and one average. And that's if Pinto is only bad defensively and not both.

Just not a fan of that with no reliable alternative and no assurance it will extend his career.
    Not in my proposal. I'm proposing the Twins sign a slugging FA 1st baseman, Mauer to 3rd (w/ a platoon with Plouffe)/PT catcher. You upgrade/maintain ~2.33 positions to significantly above average.

(And Brian McCann and Salty are available for big bucks, while Doner Navarro or AJ would be available on the cheap- to get the full 3 position upgrade)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    If even a neurologist can't convince you then you're stubbornly ignoring medical evidence. What Mauer wants IS important. He's not an infant who needs to be protected from harm. He's an adult who can determine if he's willing to take a risk.

$

Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Mod note: nice thread so far. The moderators will be taking a dim view of trolling, so keep up the good work.
    Not worth the money at any other position-plain and simple- zero power!

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    Yeah, the idea that Mauer should go learn 3rd base in his Age 31 season is something out of fantasy baseball, video games, or whatever...but it isn't set in reality.
    Except for the reality that Josh Donaldson has done it cold turkey and is a plus defender, but not nearly the athlete that Mauer is.... and Joe Torre did it at age 30 virtually cold turkey and was the NL MVP......and Miguel Cabrera did it at 29 and was the AL MVP and Triple Crown winner.......and Killebrew.

Donaldson and Cabrera are the #1 and #2 ranked 3rd baseman, and Donaldson ranks 3rd in WAR, with Cabrera #4 overall. Moving there to third opened up options for both clubs to putting more offense on the field. This is not that hard to delineate.

And not only can Mauer hit well enough to play third, he would quite likely play it better for most of the entirety of the current contract, than any of the above names, and certainly far better than Plouffe or Sano. Makes a lot of sense to me. (BTW---Colabello returning for anything other than call-up fill-in duty next year would be absolutely shocking.)
    Last edited by jokin; 09-27-2013 at 12:42 AM.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 289 Times in 186 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It bugs me we feel we can completly bypass having a competent replacement. The proposals here basically are calling for us to go from one position at league average and one well above to one below and one average. And that's if Pinto is only bad defensively and not both.

Just not a fan of that with no reliable alternative and no assurance it will extend his career.
    I don't think Pinto is bad offensively or defensively. He's no Pudge or anything, but he's a better hitter than either of the first base candidates. And the combination of him behind the plate and Mauer at first is a better defensive alignment than the combination of one of the first basemen and Mauer behind the plate.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev44 View Post
    Not worth the money at any other position-plain and simple- zero power!
    A .476 SLG is not zero power. It's among the best at his position. Further, his power is dampened at catcher. When he has fresh hands, it goes about .500, which is elite power.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    A .476 SLG is not zero power. It's among the best at his position. Further, his power is dampened at catcher. When he has fresh hands, it goes about .500, which is elite power.
    Not to mention that his money is moot since it's not keeping the Twins from spending.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    He's a Hall of Fame guy because of what he's done in the past AS A CATCHER. If he were a 1B his entire career he's not a Hall of Famer at this point. Is it really that hard to understand that 1B hit better than catchers?
    2013 Average OPS for 1B: .808
    2013 Average OPS for C (Excluding Mauer): .742

Mauer's a career .873. His .880 this year is #1 for catchers. #6 for 1B.
    It is not hard to understand at all. I was clear on that before this thread was posted. You said, "He hardly has any value if you move him somewhere else." This I do not understand.

Early in this thread I said, "His career hitting numbers vs the 1B numbers from the whole league this year would have him 1st in Avg, 2nd in OB% and 6th in OPS. Not to mention that I feel he could step in and contend strongly for a gold glove right away. I'll take it."

If that makes him not a HOF player then that stinks but vs not playing due to injury I would prefer he spend most of his time at 1B putting up those numbers.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    [Besides the injury issue, you have to ask: Would the Twins be better with Mauer at first and Pinto behind the plate or Mauer behind the plate and Parmelee/Calobello at first? I think the former. As some have said, Mauer's wishes are irrelevant. Let's make the best team we can with what we have. And I have a hard time believing he wouldn't do what is in the team's best interest.[/QUOTE]

Agree, the Twins need to do what's best for the team, not what make Mauer more likely to get voted into the HOF or what he wants. I'm sure he wants to win and keeping him on the field and making the best lineup is the best way to do that.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 342 Times in 195 Posts
    I don't think Pinto is bad offensively or defensively. He's no Pudge or anything, but he's a better hitter than either of the first base candidates. And the combination of him behind the plate and Mauer at first is a better defensive alignment than the combination of one of the first basemen and Mauer behind the plate.
    By all accounts Pinto has a long way to go defensively but is working hard, but hes still not nearly as good as Mauer. And i would address 1B in FA, finding an average to above average 1B in FA is easier and cheaper than maybe any other position.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    There are two things a third baseman has to do that a first baseman doesn't have to do.

1) Make long throws across the diamond. I am 100% certain Mauer can do that.
    2) Charge bunts. That is an open question but Mauer can probably do it as well as A-Rod or Cabrera.

Blog Entries
    By all accounts Pinto has a long way to go defensively but is working hard, but hes still not nearly as good as Mauer. And i would address 1B in FA, finding an average to above average 1B in FA is easier and cheaper than maybe any other position.
    I'm not convinced Pinto is that big of a downgrade from Mauer, especially with the tall catcher/low strike issue. Yes, he's a downgrade, but not huge. It comes down to risk/reward: The risk of losing your best player maybe forever vs. the small reward in improved defense. Plus I do think he's a better hitter when he doesn't catch, especially multiple games in a row.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    I'm not convinced Pinto is that big of a downgrade from Mauer, especially with the tall catcher/low strike issue. Yes, he's a downgrade, but not huge. It comes down to risk/reward: The risk of losing your best player maybe forever vs. the small reward in improved defense. Plus I do think he's a better hitter when he doesn't catch, especially multiple games in a row.
    Like everyone, I 'm encouraged by what Pinto's done thus far, but it's very premature to seriously be contemplating ensconsing him behind the plate full-time next year. Just last night it was obvious for all to see that Albers and Pinto not only weren't on the same page, they were barely on the same planet in terms of pitch-by-pitch game-planning....and this wasn't the first time we'd seen this. As far as his bat, despite his heroics last night, his overall gaudy numbers are rapidly falling back to earth>>>>ie, his slash over the last 14 days: .244/.292/.444. It remains to be seen if he's a Parmelee/Lou Ford September mirage or the real thing. From what I've seen and read, he's a great kid who wants to learn and is willing to put in the work. At the plate, he uses all fields like an advanced major leaguer and the ball jumps off his bat, but to categorically say that in the Pinto/Mauer "What If?" equation that it's only a slight downgrade by going with Pinto is still very premature.

Were you referring to Mauer or Pinto in your last sentence? Mauer defies convention, he's clearly better hitting when he catches. In 2013 he had a .330 BA and .901 OPS while catching////.286 BA .810 OPS @ 1st base////.319 BA .854 OPS @ DH. These numbers are similarly indicative of his career stats: .329 BA .889 OPS @ C////.324 BA .831 OPS @ 1st////.308 BA .828 OPS @ DH.

If you meant Pinto, his 2013 minor league split between C and DH were virtually identical.

Okay

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoPilgrim View Post
    I would be curious to hear from those who have advocated him remaining as catcher because of the greater difficulty of finding a catcher who can produce offensively than a first baseman. I wonder if the length of his being sidelined, which is far longer than most people were anticipating, has given them any pause.
    I'm one of those people, and yes, Nick just convinced me. This injury is a tipping point for me.

I have always thought that what made Mauer uniquely valuable was the incredible offensive production he brought to a defensive position. It was almost like having an extra DH: Starting a batting champion at catcher, AND being able to park a slugger at first, is way more valuable than playing him at first. Moving Mauer to first means swapping a hitter like Butera for a hitter like Morneau. That drop off is so huge, I always thought you should drag out his catching as long as possible, or at least phase it out slowly.

But this concussion changes everything. Once you have one this bad, you're primed for another. Even a small collision can reactivate symptoms. You saw it with Coskie and you saw it with Morneau. (Both of whom were Canadian, and presumably took a lot of shots to the head playing hockey, leaving them primed for further brain damage.) When you have as much invested in one player as you do in Mauer, it just makes taking that risk even more unthinkable. But the money is minor compared to the physical risks.

It was almost worth moving him just to protect his knees, because of that long term contract. But now, playing catcher has become like putting a gun to his head. So to answer your question, yes, this column changed my mind.

p.s. This scenario is exactly what made me gnash my teeth when they foolishly, foolishly traded Ramos. The idea that Ramos was expendable because we had Mauer was insane. He was indispensable BECAUSE we had Mauer. Mauer needed to be protected, and he couldn't be properly protected because if he didn't catch, you were stuck with Butera. Dumb, dumb trade.

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 205 Times in 83 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Earlier quote by me: "I tend to enjoy and agree with your articles. Not this time. You write, 'And here's another reality we must face: Mauer's days of catching are done.'

Reality? Are you sure you want to name reality as a columnist/blogger, or would you be willing to defer to a neurologist?"

Nick, you were an accurate predictor of reality. I apologize. Still, It's a sad day when a player with Mauer's tools hangs up his catching gear.

Liked 334 Times in 176 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Feed the Greed Guy View Post
    Earlier quote by me: "I tend to enjoy and agree with your articles. Not this time. You write, 'And here's another reality we must face: Mauer's days of catching are done.'

Reality? Are you sure you want to name reality as a columnist/blogger, or would you be willing to defer to a neurologist?"
    At which point Mr. Nelson said that he would more or less tell a neurologist who cleared Mauer for catching duty to go stuff himself.

It probably makes perfect sense to Nick to think way despite his having dismissively ridiculed people who were critical of the Twins' medical staff in 2012 because they were 'not doctors', but it doesn't to me.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456