Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Twins Dislike Platoons

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post

Even Plouffe's platooning potential is limited because it's the short half of the platoon. At least he has some more theoretical positional flexibility, but basically, if a guy is worth being the long half of a platoon (playing vs RHP), he's probably worth starting full-time. Parmelee hasn't looked like that guy yet, especially not in RF.
    You nailed it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    I hate this Plouffe/Parmelee idea. Parmelee is simply a terrible player that shouldn't even be platooning. His .717 OPS vs. righties really isn't much of an upgrade from Plouffe's .654 and 12 HRs. Plus, he OPSed .691 against them last year. In addition, Plouffe would have a lot more range then Parmelee in RF. Since most starting pitchers are right handed, Parmelee would get played more than Plouffe and that just makes me sick. Plouffe has shown he can play at an MLB level and has promise while Parmelee has done nothing of the sort. Oh, and Plouffe hits way more deengers.
    Totally agree.

IF somehow Parmalee is on the Twins Roster and playing 80+ games (platoon) - the Twins won't be winning many games. I'd put the over under at 70 Wins.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    I hate this Plouffe/Parmelee idea. Parmelee is simply a terrible player that shouldn't even be platooning. His .717 OPS vs. righties really isn't much of an upgrade from Plouffe's .654 and 12 HRs. Plus, he OPSed .691 against them last year. In addition, Plouffe would have a lot more range then Parmelee in RF. Since most starting pitchers are right handed, Parmelee would get played more than Plouffe and that just makes me sick. Plouffe has shown he can play at an MLB level and has promise while Parmelee has done nothing of the sort. Oh, and Plouffe hits way more deengers.
    No, it isn't fair for RH hitters and I see Plouffe as at least the equal of Parmelee. That said, I don't think Plouffe's OF defense would be superior to Parm. I have more hope for as a hitter than you do, as well. Parmelee is younger, proved that he can play OF this year, and hits lefty. He may be no more than a replacement player, but I think 2014 should be his last chance to prove himself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    To summarize, perhaps finding middle ground on this issue: It is probably tough to have a strict platoon, in part because position player numbers have shrunk and in part because the right handed part of a platoon would only start somewhere between 23 and 30% of the time. While having a strict platoon doesn't and shouldn't happen much, The Twins have managed to send out far too many hitters going on the weak side of their platoon splits
    That's a good summary.

- It hasn't been utilized to it's full potential by Twins management (But I believe it has been done for Development reasons - no reason to 'develop' platoon players - see if they can hit either side)
    - It doesn't work for the short-half of the Platoon, that is to be a "platoon" player it is best if they hit RHP well.
    - To be solely a "platoon" regular, it would reason the hitter need to hit at least .280 vs that strong side of the platoon (usually RHP).

A question, for those to do some research. Who are some good platoon players? What did the hit vs. LHP or vs RHP. Were these "platoon" players, maybe "combos" is a better word - mostly RH or LH for the "long half" of the platoon (e.g. Pagliarulo vs Leius in 1991).

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One more reason platooning Parmelee and Plouffe is a bad idea is that both are somewhat young. They simply haven't had enough data to justify it. You're basically giving up on both of them too by putting them in that type of role. Parmelee I've given up on, but I think Plouffe has a chance to still be what we'd like him to be. Platoons make more sense for older players (29+) who have wider splits than what these two guys have. To me, it's not a dramatic difference. A player like Valencia is perfect because he's very good against lefties (.875OPS), but is mediocre against righties (.631OPS). He has always been that way and always will and the gap is significant. That makes sense, not this.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    No, it isn't fair for RH hitters and I see Plouffe as at least the equal of Parmelee. That said, I don't think Plouffe's OF defense would be superior to Parm. I have more hope for as a hitter than you do, as well. Parmelee is younger, proved that he can play OF this year, and hits lefty. He may be no more than a replacement player, but I think 2014 should be his last chance to prove himself.
    Parmelee will never hit over 20 HRs. Plouffe has shown he can (30HR potential) and probably would have been better had he not been limited by injury (.759 prior). I think he's a better all around hitter, but you are right about the OF defense.

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Look at the article I posted. There were some good examples there

Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Basically, the GM nor Manager believe in platooning:

Platoons not attractive to Twins - TwinCities.com
    There will always be platoons because the team will never spend the money to sign any actual star players. And if any of the top prospects pan out they will not be willing to pay them.

Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    I am not sure what the fuss is about. For the most part Parmalee does not start when there is a left hander starting. 64 plate appearances in 47 games would indicate he is not starting much against left handers. Plouffe starts at 3B because there wasn't much else for options. What he lacks in BA he makes up for in power over Carroll (when he was here) and Escobar. There is no guarantee of an arrival of Sano, Plouffe will be starting at 3B for the near future. Maybe he doesn't have a long future, but stuff happens. He will be somewhere in the lineup against lefties.
    Some players have been all over the outfield. Herman rarely sees a left hander, Parmalee only a little as does Thomas. It would be hard to say there is a set pattern. Sometimes it was a matter of who had a pulse that day, but the mix and match of outfielders would be closer to the loose definition of platoon than not.

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    I am not sure what the fuss is about. For the most part Parmalee does not start when there is a left hander starting. 64 plate appearances in 47 games would indicate he is not starting much against left handers. Plouffe starts at 3B because there wasn't much else for options. What he lacks in BA he makes up for in power over Carroll (when he was here) and Escobar. There is no guarantee of an arrival of Sano, Plouffe will be starting at 3B for the near future. Maybe he doesn't have a long future, but stuff happens. He will be somewhere in the lineup against lefties.
    Some players have been all over the outfield. Herman rarely sees a left hander, Parmalee only a little as does Thomas. It would be hard to say there is a set pattern. Sometimes it was a matter of who had a pulse that day, but the mix and match of outfielders would be closer to the loose definition of platoon than not.
    That's a good point, and when the alternative was Doumit, that's a decent switch.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345