Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 61

Thread: 5 for 20

  1. #41
    Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Posts
    1,235
    Like
    8
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Really we just need to abandon this whole "Twins Way" deal. I can't stand it and believe the opposite of all of it. HRs and power trump small ball and defense, strikeouts over PtC, and the no Platoon policy discussed on the other page.

  2. #42
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    3,805
    Like
    27
    Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I can see a full 33% of the 40 man roster altering through release, trade, or DFA pretty easily. Much of what needs to happen involves ending the Twins tenure of Dave St. Peter, Terry Ryan, Mike Radcliff, Rob Antony, Brad Steil, Ron Gardenhire, and Rich Anderson.

    This needs to be said, these people need to be named and called out, and that is that.
    Agreed with a couple of exceptions:

    Subtract Brad Steil (he has already in a year started undoing the mess that Rantz has done in 50)
    Add Deron Johnson and Vern Followell & Vavry & Scotty & Co
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  3. #43
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    3,805
    Like
    27
    Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Ryan hate is ridiculous. He's a great GM, proven and has already made significant strides forward on the rebuild.
    The only thing that Ryan has proven is to lead teams to worse records that his predecessors, twice. The MacPhail Twins had better record than the Ryan I Twins and the Smith (speaking about hate) Twins had better record than the Ryan II Twins. And this is an undisputed fact. Add the other fact of zero american league pennants and zero world series rings in way too many years of being a GM, and you got the whole of Ryan's tenure: awfulness to mediocrity to awfulness.

    One can spin the truth any way he/she wants, but it does not change it. And if some wish to strive for and celebrate mediocrity, it is fine. Some of us want excellence. And Ryan has proven to not be capable of that.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  4. #44
    Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Posts
    1,101
    Like
    44
    Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
    FYI:
    The Twins signed a 30-year ironclad lease with the Minnesota Ballpark Authority during the summer of 2007.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

  5. #45
    Head Moderator All-Star glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    4,510
    Like
    2,353
    Liked 294 Times in 165 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    One can spin the truth any way he/she wants, but it does not change it. And if some wish to strive for and celebrate mediocrity, it is fine. Some of us want excellence. And Ryan has proven to not be capable of that.
    Moderator note -- this is borderline trolling. Please be more respectful of people who disagree with you.

  6. #46
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,146
    Like
    378
    Liked 339 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    FYI:
    The Twins signed a 30-year ironclad lease with the Minnesota Ballpark Authority during the summer of 2007.
    Historically, 30 year leases aren't worth the iron they're clad with, if the majority of the owners accede to a potential move to take place.

  7. #47
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,615
    Like
    37
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    This thread has gone way off topic, the twins aren't going to move and aren't in any danger to move, one more bad season or two isn't going to cause that, it's not how baseball works.

    Besides, teams like Miami, Tampa bay, Oakland, and more would move wayyyyyy before the twins would be on the chopping block.

    Dumping TR makes no sense, the twins now have the number 1 farm in baseball, he deserves two more years to right the ship.

    Gardy is a toss up, but if you fire him now you might as well have fired him two years ago since he literally had terrible rosters to deal with. I still maintain you won't find a better manager, and Gardy would be scooped up in about 5 seconds. Grass is always greener etc etc

  8. #48
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,615
    Like
    37
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Additionally, the twins have very little commited money wise in 2014/2015, and have the best farm in baseball. It's not hard to see why a turnaround isn't going to be as hard as some folks believe, hell before Mauer went down (and morneau trade) it's likely the twins would have won 72-74 games this year,(an improvement over last)

  9. #49
    I like Terry Ryan and I have a ton of respect for him....but its just time for some new blood from top to bottom. Id be ok with him sticking around if he could surround himself with good progressive baseball thinkers.

    There isnt a single coach I would keep with the exception of possibly BP.

    I dont like Gardy, I dont think managers in any business can be successful by playing favorites and singling out team members for individual scrutiny. For far too long he has played obvious favorites with players and done this rude passive-aggressive thing of singling players out for scrutiny through little snarky comments. I hate that and always have.. Thats not how you build a team. On top of that he has never thought outside of the very narrow box of traditional baseball strategy. We about threw a party when he actually <gasp> moved his best OBP guy up in the order. That says it all to me.

    There is very few industries where upper and front line managers would survive what the Twins have gone through the last 3 years. They had every thing they asked for to make themselves long term competitive and they screwed it up.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by BHtwins View Post
    I dont like Gardy, I dont think managers in any business can be successful by playing favorites and singling out team members for individual scrutiny. For far too long he has played obvious favorites with players and done this rude passive-aggressive thing of singling players out for scrutiny through little snarky comments. I hate that and always have.. Thats not how you build a team. On top of that he has never thought outside of the very narrow box of traditional baseball strategy. We about threw a party when he actually <gasp> moved his best OBP guy up in the order. That says it all to me.
    Thank you for pointing this out. One thing that bothers me is Gardenhire's relationship with Aaron Hicks, after the Twins basically handed him the CF job. It's inexcusable instead of harnessing that confidence and coachability he publicly put him down at every opportunity for not being "old school" enough. A guy like Gardy needs to adjust to what the "kids these days" are like. Bottom line is Gardy may have been great with a group of veterans, give him his due, but (among other things) he's not a guy who has demonstrated patience with prospects.

  11. #51
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,786
    Like
    4
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Agreed with a couple of exceptions:

    Subtract Brad Steil (he has already in a year started undoing the mess that Rantz has done in 50)
    Add Deron Johnson and Vern Followell & Vavry & Scotty & Co
    Fair enough about Steil. I don't like adding Deron Johnson to the list because I don't think he has done a bad job at all. I don't recall who Followell is at the moment and the other two were givens!

  12. #52
    Banned Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    715
    Like
    82
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BHtwins View Post
    I like Terry Ryan and I have a ton of respect for him....but its just time for some new blood from top to bottom. Id be ok with him sticking around if he could surround himself with good progressive baseball thinkers.

    There isnt a single coach I would keep with the exception of possibly BP.

    I dont like Gardy, I dont think managers in any business can be successful by playing favorites and singling out team members for individual scrutiny. For far too long he has played obvious favorites with players and done this rude passive-aggressive thing of singling players out for scrutiny through little snarky comments. I hate that and always have.. Thats not how you build a team. On top of that he has never thought outside of the very narrow box of traditional baseball strategy. We about threw a party when he actually <gasp> moved his best OBP guy up in the order. That says it all to me.

    There is very few industries where upper and front line managers would survive what the Twins have gone through the last 3 years. They had every thing they asked for to make themselves long term competitive and they screwed it up.
    But they were competitive long term and 3 years of drafting high and they will be competitive again.

  13. #53
    Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Posts
    2,421
    Like
    2
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Historically, 30 year leases aren't worth the iron they're clad with, if the majority of the owners accede to a potential move to take place.
    Local history itself shows this is not always the case.

  14. #54
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,146
    Like
    378
    Liked 339 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    TR wasn't GM in 2011.
    Actually, he was the GM in 2011, becoming the new GM on Nov. 7, 2011.

  15. #55
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,146
    Like
    378
    Liked 339 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    This thread has gone way off topic, the twins aren't going to move and aren't in any danger to move, one more bad season or two isn't going to cause that, it's not how baseball works.

    Besides, teams like Miami, Tampa bay, Oakland, and more would move wayyyyyy before the twins would be on the chopping block.

    Dumping TR makes no sense, the twins now have the number 1 farm in baseball, he deserves two more years to right the ship.

    Gardy is a toss up, but if you fire him now you might as well have fired him two years ago since he literally had terrible rosters to deal with. I still maintain you won't find a better manager, and Gardy would be scooped up in about 5 seconds. Grass is always greener etc etc

    The posters on Twins Daily have proffered close to a dozen high-quality names, both of the old school variety and the young and hungry up-and-comers whose pedigree and bona fides match or exceed Gardy's. The main point being, staleness and expired shelf life are a reality, and what was once a great fit no longer appears to be the case........

    for a myriad of reasons it's time to clear the air and prepare with a fresh approach for the next wave of players.

  16. #56
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,146
    Like
    378
    Liked 339 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoPilgrim View Post
    Local history itself shows this is not always the case.
    Let's see how it plays out. We have an owner who is far more passionate about winning and hoisting trophies and champagne bottles at the Cannes Film Festival than doing the same after a World Series championship. The owner's close friend, the Commissioner of Baseball, has announced his retirement in January, 2015. The timing for a sale most favorable to the Pohlad's may be more opportune under Selig's watch than after.

    The Upper Midwest would be such an incredible market with a committed owner and forward-thinking management, a "St Louis North", if you will. I think it's reasonable not to trust that we can get that outcome with the former used car dealer as Commissioner, in conjunction with the Hollywood-producer son of the mortgage-forecloser, making that decision.

  17. #57
    Senior Member Triple-A Jerr's Avatar
    Posts
    209
    Like
    2
    Liked 50 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    This thread has gone way off topic, the twins aren't going to move and aren't in any danger to move, one more bad season or two isn't going to cause that, it's not how baseball works.

    Besides, teams like Miami, Tampa bay, Oakland, and more would move wayyyyyy before the twins would be on the chopping block.

    Dumping TR makes no sense, the twins now have the number 1 farm in baseball, he deserves two more years to right the ship.

    Gardy is a toss up, but if you fire him now you might as well have fired him two years ago since he literally had terrible rosters to deal with. I still maintain you won't find a better manager, and Gardy would be scooped up in about 5 seconds. Grass is always greener etc etc
    Well stated and brought this thread back to the subject. Thanks!

  18. #58
    Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    6,969
    Like
    1,041
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I don't recall who Followell is at the moment
    Vern Followell only has the most awesome name for a Pro Scouting Coordinator I could ever hope to encounter, unless there exists a Sign M. McAllstar.

  19. #59
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,146
    Like
    378
    Liked 339 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerr View Post

    This thread has gone way off topic, the twins aren't going to move and aren't in any danger to move, one more bad season or two isn't going to cause that, it's not how baseball works.

    Besides, teams like Miami, Tampa bay, Oakland, and more would move wayyyyyy before the twins would be on the chopping block.






    Well stated and brought this thread back to the subject. Thanks!
    The topic is the dreadful state of the Twins. There is blame to share all around for this ongoing 3- and soon-to-be 4-year disaster. And there are consequences for this incredible ineptitude, from ownership on down to the bullpen coach. The ramifications for this disaster on the future of the Twins franchise are also germane to the topic. The owner has demonstrated his disinterest in the team, other than in terms of a vehicle to make a very decent high return with low-risk on his investment. Their first instinct during the 2011 debacle was to make it known that they would be aggressively shedding payroll and dismantling a team that had had the 4th best record in baseball and record-setting attendance just one year before. No one said the Twins are on "the chopping block", they've used that tactic once before, been there, done that. But there is a very real possibility that the Twins could be sold; from the beginning of their ownership tenure, it has been documented that the junior Pohlad's would rather be involved in almost anything other than baseball. Their disinterest has resulted in a sclerotic and insular organization, that essentially runs dangerously on a set of outmoded auto-pilot rules thought-up in a manual written 20 years ago.

    Miami, Tampa and Oakland are the beneficiaries of revenue-sharing, different animals from the Twins altogether, just because those issues need addressing, it is irrelevant to what the Pohlad's might opt to do with their franchise. I'm guessing that Pohlad has learned to not appreciate being, literally, on the other side of the coin, in having to write checks to support the have-nots, instead of being the past beneficiary of those subsidies. It really isn't that hard to envision a sale of the team if the number-crunchers say it's the most logical course of action. And with their close ally, Commisioner Selig, retiring in 2015, the Pohlad's might decide their best deal could be had with Selig still in charge. A succesor out-of-town ownership group is a problematic proposition, to say the least.
    Last edited by jokin; 09-27-2013 at 08:20 PM.

  20. #60
    Super Moderator All-Star
    Posts
    3,422
    Like
    169
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by BHtwins View Post
    I like Terry Ryan and I have a ton of respect for him....but its just time for some new blood from top to bottom. Id be ok with him sticking around if he could surround himself with good progressive baseball thinkers.

    There isnt a single coach I would keep with the exception of possibly BP.

    I dont like Gardy, I dont think managers in any business can be successful by playing favorites and singling out team members for individual scrutiny. For far too long he has played obvious favorites with players and done this rude passive-aggressive thing of singling players out for scrutiny through little snarky comments. I hate that and always have.. Thats not how you build a team. On top of that he has never thought outside of the very narrow box of traditional baseball strategy. We about threw a party when he actually <gasp> moved his best OBP guy up in the order. That says it all to me.

    There is very few industries where upper and front line managers would survive what the Twins have gone through the last 3 years. They had every thing they asked for to make themselves long term competitive and they screwed it up.
    No votes for Bobby Cuellar?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.