Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gomez

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    Fair enough, I wasn't aware of that part of the history. I'm just not a fan of baseball justice and I never will be. It's probably the part of the game I like least. I do feel I'm in the minority though. To each their own.
    Also, look at GoGos reaction to the first pitch in that at bat. I wish they would have beaned him after that pitch.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    I like Gomez but I don't think there was any way he was yelling at himself. It was pretty obvious that he was yelling at Maholm the whole way and then McCann when he finally noticed him.

Unlike you, however, I found the whole incident awesome. An otherwise boring game is now going to be memorable for the foreseeable future.

Of course I like guys that have a loose wire like Gomez, Nyjer, Milton Bradley, etc. They make things more interesting for me while I watch the robotic Twins lose 95 games a season.
    Oh no, don't get me wrong, I love Gomez and his antics. Licking bats, yelling at everyone, getting excited, I love all of that. I don't enjoy throwing at people and whatnot.
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    I think what's dumb is that next April, a Braves pitcher will plunk Gomez for this incident that happened 6 months previous.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Blog Entries
    I watched the replay again and Gomez was yelling at Maholm the whole way. He definitely shouldn't do that. I was totally wrong about that part.
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    I think what's dumb is that next April, a Braves pitcher will plunk Gomez for this incident that happened 6 months previous.
    Agreed, and they'll do it even if Maholm is on another team.
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gomez had struck out 6 times in the series prior to this AB. How many times did a Braves pitcher show up Gomez after the punch out? I would guess none. If Gomez wants to show up his opponents he should join the NBA.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by D. Hocking View Post
    Go Go in 2008 spring training, before he had played one game for the Twins. Humble from the start.

"I am going to create a lot of RBIs for (Justin) Morneau, the catcher and the other guy."

I suppose the other guy could either be Kubel or Cuddyer.
    This quote is awesome. That is all.

Liked 3,187 Times in 1,365 Posts
    Exciting!
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by D. Hocking View Post
    Go Go in 2008 spring training, before he had played one game for the Twins. Humble from the start.

"I am going to create a lot of RBIs for (Justin) Morneau, the catcher and the other guy."

I suppose the other guy could either be Kubel or Cuddyer.
    Classic GoGo! Ha!

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gomez was a punk when he was with the Twins and he's still a punk. I'm sorry he was ejected. I would have enjoyed seeing him get what he deserved next time he came up. Then again, since you really can't throw at a guy any more, the punch that got landed serves the same purpose.

I always have trouble coming up with a NL team to root for in the postseason, but the Braves and, particularly, McCann, are now at the top of my NL list. I love that he and Freeman and the others didn't let Gomez get away with that crap.

Obviously, McCann and Johnson should have been ejected. The fact that they weren't either speaks to incompetency of the umpires or maybe even they felt Gomez got what he deserved.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Too bad he couldn't stay in the game just to be plunked. That was complete bush league behavior. He shouldn't have made it around second base.
    I don't suppose the pitcher stared at Gomez after he intentionally hit him in the knee with a fastball in a previous series. When there's a history, let the boys play. I wish the Twins had a player with that much fire in his belly.

Oh wait, they did. He wasn't good enough.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Gomez took a wild swing at the pitch before the HR pitch, stumbling out of the batter's box. He stared down Maholm all the way back to the batters box, and when he hit the HR, he started doing all his antics the whole time around the bases.

I don't know how ANYONE can defend that.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 09-26-2013 at 12:56 PM.
    Just remember: You put the lime IN the coconut. Only THEN, can you drink it all up.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    I don't suppose the pitcher stared at Gomez after he intentionally hit him in the knee with a fastball in a previous series. When there's a history, let the boys play. I wish the Twins had a player with that much fire in his belly.

Oh wait, they did. He wasn't good enough.
    No, Maholm didn't. They showed a replay of when Maholm hit him back in June or whenever it was.
    Just remember: You put the lime IN the coconut. Only THEN, can you drink it all up.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    McCann is the one that caused it to escalate. He just went to the bottom of my list of favorite players. Grow up, and let it pass, don't escalate it. It's his fault, not Gomez's.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From the AP game report:

Gomez didn't blame McCann for blocking his path to the plate.

"If I'm a catcher, I do the same thing," Gomez said. "I try to protect my pitchers, my teammates. I respect McCann, all his players. I'm going to apologize to his manager, his organization, that it went that far. The adrenaline, the emotion takes it more than you expect."

That tells me Gomez "gets it" at least a bit.

Of course, he has every right to pimp his home runs any time he wants for whatever reason he wants. That quote tells me he also understands that, at times, there will be consequences for doing so. As long as he's willing to accept that those consequences can mean he might end up in a fight or get knocked down or plunked and, perhaps, miss playing time due to subsequent injury or ejection, that's fine.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    From the AP game report:

Gomez didn't blame McCann for blocking his path to the plate.

"If I'm a catcher, I do the same thing," Gomez said. "I try to protect my pitchers, my teammates. I respect McCann, all his players. I'm going to apologize to his manager, his organization, that it went that far. The adrenaline, the emotion takes it more than you expect."

That tells me Gomez "gets it" at least a bit.

Of course, he has every right to pimp his home runs any time he wants for whatever reason he wants. That quote tells me he also understands that, at times, there will be consequences for doing so. As long as he's willing to accept that those consequences can mean he might end up in a fight or get knocked down or plunked and, perhaps, miss playing time due to subsequent injury or ejection, that's fine.
    Him getting it is one possibility. Another possibility is that his manager, teammates or the combo let him know how wrong it was and he was told to do the political dance.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 09-26-2013 at 10:08 AM.

Liked 90 Times in 36 Posts
    Gomez did nothing wrong. He can jaw all he wants, and it's your fault if you let it get to you. I've always believed that if you don't want people showing you up, then stop them. This isn't high school or college, these people are getting paid. If they **** up, they deserve the embarrassment coming to them.

But good to know that whenever someone hits a home run against the Braves, model citizen Brian McCann will be waiting for them to let them know if they "did it the right way" or not.

And between intentionally obstructing Gomez from getting to home plate and being the instigator of the fight, how the hell did McCann not get thrown out of the game?

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 672 Times in 381 Posts
    This whole thing gets avoided without unwritten rules. A pitcher can retaliate and show up a hitter for any perceived infraction, but a hitter takes out frustration and he's demonized. Not saying Gomez was justified, but these ass backwards quasi-rules literally create these moments out of nothing.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Makes me sad people think throwing balls at people is a good idea....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Sano got suspended 3 games for his HR, the Twins probably would have suspended Gomez for a month.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast